New Grizzly Matrix Owner

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

odeman

New Grizzly Matrix Owner

Post by odeman »

Hello, I am a new member who has just bought a Matrix
Grizzly. I love the bow but I have a question about the brace height. The brace height is set at 1.5" the way it came. However the string is about .5" away from the REDDS bumpers I installed and does not seem to touch them at the shot, and with no apparent reduction in sound or vibration. Do I need to shorten the brace height and will this hurt the limbs?
Seafermiles

Re: New Grizzly Matrix Owner

Post by Seafermiles »

I have a M330. Brace height 3/4". String distance from the REDS 1/8".
Seems the 1.5" and the .5" are a bit too much. There are some Griz owners on here maybe they will chime in.
Good choice, enjoy the bow.
Sea Ya

Matrix 330, AirBrakes, Reds, Cheek Piece, Ex-tender
Smokepolehall Flemish String
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

odeman wrote:Hello, I am a new member who has just bought a Matrix
Grizzly. I love the bow but I have a question about the brace height. The brace height is set at 1.5" the way it came. However the string is about .5" away from the REDDS bumpers I installed and does not seem to touch them at the shot, and with no apparent reduction in sound or vibration. Do I need to shorten the brace height and will this hurt the limbs?
I have the Cub,,,the line you see on the rail I do not believe is a brace height marker,,if you take a close look at it,it appears to be an "inlay" manufactured into the plastic rail,,rub your finger on it,,it has a different "texture" to it..for what I do not know,,I have e-mailed Excal,,and PM"d Marketing Dude on the forum here,,no reply from Excal,,,got a reply from Marketing Dude,,but did not answer my question..so I pretty much have given up the cause :? I may be wrong here,but I think that the Grizz/Cub all have there strings at that 1.5" mark and that's about where they will all stay give or take a little...my Cub was outfitted with a Premium Matrix string to give it more "gidde-up" like the Grizz,,,and it defo did...however with about 75 shots that string hardly moved from that 1.5" line on the rail,,,,I fiddled with it(by twisting the string CW to lengthen it),,but it really did not make much of a difference going below that original 1.5" BH..Keep shootin it and hopefully BH will shorten up,,,otherwise go with a Flemish string.Good Luck with your Grizz,,I personally would like to know what happens :wink:
Last edited by JUSTANUFF on Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

1/4" is the sweet spot, but I would shoot it more, and let the string settle in before taking out turns! If you absolutely must lower the height, be careful, you are in essence unwinding the serving tension!!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I believe they are making the strings shorter now to compensate for string stretch and short brace height when people buy them. Let it stretch awhile. I keep my string about 3/16" off the bumpers :)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

You may have the wrong REDDS on your Grizz,,,part number for rhe Grizz should be # 7008,,,hope this helps
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
odeman

Post by odeman »

Thanks for all your replies, the package says 7008 which is for the grizzly. I think they should make the reds adjustable because each bow is different. Guess I will just have to live with it.
odeman
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

odeman wrote:Thanks for all your replies, the package says 7008 which is for the grizzly. I think they should make the reds adjustable because each bow is different. Guess I will just have to live with it.
odeman
How many shots do you have on your bow???
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
odeman

Post by odeman »

I emailed Excalibur and they said that 1.5" is the correct brace height for the grizzly. So I guess the REDDS are useless on the grizzly. In order to make them effective I would have to reduce the brace height lower than it is supposed to be. Waste of money.
odeman
odeman

Post by odeman »

I just found out that they are sending out crossbows with short strings, just like BrotherRon said. I will try to pick up a new string, if the one I have doesn't stretch.
Thanks for all your help. What a great sight to belong to.
odeman
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Did they say that was the top setting? The high & low marks are about 1/2" spread. Before discounting their value, find that out, and if you are not going to damage anything, you get a bit more from the longer power stroke. My opinion!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

odeman wrote:I emailed Excalibur and they said that 1.5" is the correct brace height for the grizzly. So I guess the REDDS are useless on the grizzly. In order to make them effective I would have to reduce the brace height lower than it is supposed to be. Waste of money.
odeman
Well,,that kinda stinks on Excal's part,,,I have been searching for some answers to this and could not find any information from Excal,,or in any instruction manual,,,glad YOU did,,I hope they have a plan in place to correct their information on the Grizz/Cub or make the proper string for their owners.
My suggestion is to put a Flemish string on it,,then your REDS will do their job .
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
Seafermiles

Post by Seafermiles »

odeman wrote:I emailed Excalibur and they said that 1.5" is the correct brace height for the grizzly. So I guess the REDDS are useless on the grizzly. In order to make them effective I would have to reduce the brace height lower than it is supposed to be. Waste of money.
odeman
I used washers to bring the REDS out to my desired clearance, then tightened up the set screws. Without the washers the string was driving the REDS back into the hole. I think I have two washers on both sides for my 1/16" to 1/8" clearance I desire. 3/4" brace height on my M330.
Sea Ya

Matrix 330, AirBrakes, Reds, Cheek Piece, Ex-tender
Smokepolehall Flemish String
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

I emailed Excalibur and the Service/Warranty department replied back that the correct BH is 1 inch. Mine came set at 1.5 inch in the box and I will leave it there until I have shot it for a while to see what happens with the stretch.
bubba

Post by bubba »

Your bow is fine. Just keep slinging them arrows, that string will slowly start stretching and be at where you want it to be. At about 3/8" or 1/4" in no time. And you can then maintain it with your stringing aid. Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Grizzly...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)