Any interest in an Excalibur 'Macro'

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MickB

Any interest in an Excalibur 'Macro'

Post by MickB »

I am out on a limb with this one but always wondered if other fans out there who would like the idea of a full size speed bow from Excalibur? Not that it would ever happen, but I wonder how a 375, 405 or even 425 with full sized or outsized limbs would sell if buyers knew they could have the old excal reliability back.

I mean, do the compact crowd have the market tied up so badly everything needs to get smaller and smaller each year? My parallel is big game rifles where if you want the biggest blaster you end up with a heavier rifle. You deal with it, enjoy it, even take it fun shooting on hogs whatever. Actually you could add most man toys- handguns, bowie knives, dogs, 4x4's obeying the same concept. You want the most power you build a bigger engine not a smaller one.
wildcatter

Re: Any interest in an Excalibur 'Macro'

Post by wildcatter »

I have 2-380's,,, sold a Pheonix and an exomax to get em,,,, now a 335 Micro, I wouldn't trade any of them for any of the bows I sold to get em,,,,,, I shoot a lot,,, daily!! The Micro has been getting a lot of shots on it, and probably close to 2 or 3 hundred the past 4 to 6 weeks, I shoot 422 grain arrow and love it. The 380's shoot 430 grain and 455 grain and 540 grain arrows. I wont say I will never have a problem,,,, but I haven't yet,,,,, I wont say the heavier than most shoot arrows are why I don't have limb problems,,,, but I can say,,,, I shoot a lot and so far I don't have any problems, string wear is great, shot to shot consistency is less than 1 fps and with some arrows as low as .5 fps for a 10 shot string,,, and they are all capable of blowing knocks off at 40 yards repeatedly!!! Why would I want a wider, bigger, heavier bow to do what I am already doing???? But I am sure there is a market for everything!! :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
BobbyR

Post by BobbyR »

You could buy a scorpyd if you want speed. More speed is not always better.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

BobbyR wrote:You could buy a scorpyd if you want speed. More speed is not always better.
Words of WISDOM!!!! :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I agree, faster isn't everything.
And it is an interesting thing you mentioned - heavier arrows.
The heavier arrows are a little slower but they help take a lot of stress off the limbs by reducing vibration and shock. When I first joined this sight and was trying to decide which bow was right for me there was a couple people that told me more speed brings more headaches. They are definitely pushing the limbs to their limit with all this speed, and the smaller the limbs the greater the stress. The Matrix 330 I have is plenty big and fast enough for any game I will ever encounter on my hunts. The Matrix 310 is a joy to shoot all afternoon and would also bring down any deer or bear I hunt. If I was to get a 3'rd one it would be an aluminum rail Axiom or a VixenII and I would put a thumbhole stock on it. I like my crossbows to be reliable and a pleasure to shoot, and the bigger models just don't fit my fancy.

Just my 2 cents. :mrgreen:
Ron.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

Well I will go the opposite way. I LOVE SPEED. I have a Scorpyd and I do like it a lot. I used to love it but it's size is starting to bother me a bit. But the thing shoots amazing. I mean 436 grain Arrow at 433 fps so how's that. It's greased lightening.

I don't like slow bows as they are just not for me. My 405 is a bit on the slower side of things at 362 fps with a 428 gr arrow but it's saved for under 50 yards on deer. If I have a place that I can stretch it out a bit I go scorpyd end of story!

But to answer your question on a bigger excalibur I would have ZERO interest.

My current scorpyd is probably on the chopping block as the new scorpyd are a good bit smaller and almost as fast so I can see me doing a trade in very soon.

My .02 worth

Brian
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

I doubt I will ever own a matrix bow .They are a step backwards imo in terms of reliability and ease of use . The draw weights are much to high and I can't stand thumbhole stocks especially with a rear mounted safety .

if they release a crossbow with less than a 200lb draw a traditional stock and aluminum rail I'd consider it . Limb width has not bothered me with my Exocet so I suppose I could just buy a Phoenix :lol:
Exocet 165 2.5x32 Drop Zone scope
Vixenmaster and Danny miller strings
Gold tip laser II arrows ,Muzzy 235 broadheads
MickB

Post by MickB »

I tend to agree. Regards the other gents replies I probably came off the wrong way, as being someone chasing speed at all costs. All my point is for those with a 380 or 405, (who are obviously chasing speed in an excal package), are there any who would like that speed to be in a more reliable package. Aka the old exomax size, which a lot of folks still use.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The trick for bow companies is to find that magic line between speed and reliability. It seems to be eluding most companies at this moment. As bows increase in speed they equally drop in reliability. I will take reliability as a factor, long before speed.
Speed has its advantages in archery, they faster the bow the less the chance of over or underestimating range. A handy thing for people like me who are not perfect at range estimation.
A fast arrow has has a better chance of hitting it's mark if range estimation is off a few yards in either direction, reducing high and low impacts, in that aspect, speed does kill.
It is the physical size of the new bows that appeals to me, not the speed. Everytime I get close to buying in to the new bow phenomenon I hear hear a story that keeps me where I sit. Lots of full size bows floating around out there right now, stories of self destruction are non existent, and yet still fast enough to complete the task at hand.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
archerytho

Post by archerytho »

This is something I have wondered about as well. It would be very apealing to me and maybe other target shooters who dont care about size. Wider limbs and longer power stroke would mean even less stress on the crossbow. The closest thing we have is the good old exo series.
Excalibur Axiom
Leupold VX1 2-7 33mm
HHA Optimiser
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I'll admit that as far as crossbows go I'm a relative newbie having only played with them for a couple of years. Most of the knowledge I've gained about them has come from the years of experience of the members on this forum and hours of conversation with some of the members who are technical gurus of crossbows. That being said, my archery experience, especially compounds, is vast and my knowledge base is sound and I'd dare to say, much higher than the average shooter. One thing I know is that the general rule is that with all things related to bows, including crossbows, is that what you gain in one aspect you will lose in another. So it comes down to finding the middle ground between what you want and what you're willing to accept or compromise. Jmo..

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

I have two 380 and as far as I'm concerned they are the best compromise for speed and size. If a 380 can't do the job then you'd better run. In my opinion the Micro's are on the threshold and as with anything on the threshold some hold up and some don't - price you pay for sitting on the threshold.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

You might have noticed that lately I do not post much.

However, as an owner of Excalibur crossbows when they were in their infancy, and as one of the first members of the Excalibur forum, I've witnessed the evolution of their products. I have owned most, if not all, of their earlier "original" models, as well as currently a couple of Matrix models. Over the years, I have sold some of the newer models in favour of and retaining the "older" models, and for good reason and without regrets.

Currently I do not own a Micro, but I do still own an Exomax and Exocet 200 along with a 355 and 380 Matrix. If you are wondering why, all I'll say at this point is that I've personally found that "newer isn't always better".

For those who would like to know more, in the past I've made many posts and comments regarding my findings, thoughts and reasons for retaining the earlier models. If you're interested and so inclined you can search the archives for my posts. :wink:

Here's one example of my many posts:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... er#p333124
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

MickB wrote:... All my point is for those with a 380 or 405, (who are obviously chasing speed in an excal package), are there any who would like that speed to be in a more reliable package.
How do you define "more reliable"??

With over 3,000 shots and counting, and numerous kills to date, all with ZERO issues whatsoever, I'd consider my 380 to be Quite "Reliable". :wink:

As for interest in a larger frame? No Thanks. I had the Exomax, and sold it (for a Song to my Hunting Buddy). No Looking Back for me...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

The Matrix 355, in my mind, is the best bow in the Excalibur line up. Very safely in the middle of fast and dependable.
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads