What's a good rangefinder?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gmac405

What's a good rangefinder?

Post by gmac405 »

I am in need of some advise again. I'm looking at range finders and there's so many to choose from! I'm gonna be using this for hunting with a crossbow and a rifle. So do I need a rangefinder with "bow" mode and or angle compensation?

I'm leaning towards the Vortex Ranger 1000 and the Bushnell G-Force Dx 1300 arc.

Anyone got a good suggestion? Price range is $500ish so a Swarovski is out of the question :D
Matrix 405
Force 10 String
>>>-------------->
125gr Toxic
18" Zombie Slayer
80g inserts
2" Blazer veins
Lumenoks
>>>-------------->
one shot scott

Re: What's a good rangefinder?

Post by one shot scott »

I really like my leupy 1200i tbr. Had a older bushnell before that and it puts it to shame.

The biggest pet peeve of mine with the bushnell was its inability to range in low light. The leupold has no such problems. I also found that the bushy wouldn't range my rhinehart. I would have to aim at the ground just before the target and hope it would read. Again, not a problem at all for the 1200i. Its taken falls and never skipped a beat

I guess the only downside is the expensive batteries that it takes. I have nightvision monocular that takes the same type iirc, the batts were close to $20. BUT I have not had to replace it yet and it went thru all last season (turkey~deer) no prob

edit: whoops, mines the 1000, not the 1200. just checked.
Last edited by one shot scott on Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
colty31

Post by colty31 »

I bought a used Simmons on eBay for $60, works great, so don't feel like you need to spend a lot
Eclipse XT/Truglo Red 3-Dot/Vixenmaster string (Gator)
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Best bargain on market. Used Leica " old style" LRF800. You can buy them on eBay if you watch, very clean for approx. 200.00 US. They are spot on dead nuts! Not close...... Spot on. You will be amazed.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

The Bushnell sport 450 for around $100 is all an Archer needs. I had mine for 5 years, finally gave it to the apprentice, and bought another Bushnell next one up. Very happy!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
drkeenan

Post by drkeenan »

I use a Laser Link RH2 golf rangefinder (accurate to several hundred yards) while golfing in the summer and bow hunting in the fall/winter. Easy and accurate and very appealing to my "shanty" Irish side which hates tools which don't have multiple uses. :D :D :D
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I used a Bushnell 450 for years and still have it , But its pretty big ! Bought a Leupold 1000i last year and love it ! So small you can drop it into a front pocket .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Seafermiles

Post by Seafermiles »

colty31 wrote:I bought a used Simmons on eBay for $60, works great, so don't feel like you need to spend a lot
Same here, dittos. 9 volt battery. Arc compensation 20-50yd, not needed for my eyes.
Sea Ya

Matrix 330, AirBrakes, Reds, Cheek Piece, Ex-tender
Smokepolehall Flemish String
Bones

Post by Bones »

Run a nikon ranges everything I point it at , only downfall I found was in thick fog it'll give you all kind's of neat/ flawed reading's. I'm keeping and using it till it die's then go to a Leupy !
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

I would strongly suggest that if you are going to use the rangefinder for both archery & rifle hunting, you collect one that has both Bow & Rifle settings, and the ARC system.

I used to run a Bushnell 850 Sport (still have and still trying to figure out just how to mount it on my 380). It definitely served it's purpose well (chiefly bow hunting), but as technology improved, I found myself desiring a rangefinder with the built in ARC system...

Picked up a Bushnell G-Force 1300 a little more than a year ago now. Mine is the model that immediately proceeded the DX you mentioned. Overall I have been very pleased with it. It is very Fast, easy to use, and right accurate. Furthest I have ranged a deer (Mulie) was 780 yards, although their literature suggested 600 would be about it for those targets. Have ranged structures, trees etc out to over 1,000 yards. Clear optics, 6 power magnification. I really love the ARC function, both for bow hunting and rifle work.

We tested the ARC with the crossbows when out target shooting as soon as I picked this unit up - Placing the the target on steep slopes uphill and downhill from our selected shooting position. We then compared readings between my two rangefinders (the 850 has no compensation program) and the results were quite startling - In pretty well all occasions, there was sufficient difference between the two that relying on the readings without the ARC would have resulted in poor shot placement, or a complete miss.

The other feature I like is the ballistic compensation system. You enter your rifle's caliber and information, and the unit provides a reading of hold-over for that cartridge at any given range. We tested this feature also, and found it to be very accurate out to 1,000 yards (shooting 300 & 270 Weatherby Magnums).

The only thing I can find fault with is that the digital readout under very low light conditions will sometimes "wash" the screen - making it difficult to see the intended target. Minor issue if you centered the crosshairs on the target properly - a bit of an inconvenience if you have to find the target and re-aquire rapidly.

Overall I'd rate this one as a 9 out of 10. Suspect with the "improvements" noted on Bushnell's website, the latest version (DX) might well suit the purposes you are looking for...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
bubba

Post by bubba »

X-2 on the simmons, spent 100.00 and is + or= 1 yard out to 500 yards. Does all i want or need.. And leaves a lot of change in my pocket. What ever floats your boat......
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

bubba wrote:X-2 on the simmons, spent 100.00 and is + or= 1 yard out to 500 yards. Does all i want or need.. And leaves a lot of change in my pocket. What ever floats your boat......
X3 have one and works great!! :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

one shot scott wrote:I really like my leupy 1200i tbr. Had a older bushnell before that and it puts it to shame.
I have to agree on the Leupold 1200i with TBR. I own two of the prior generations. I have a Leopold RX-II which is supposed to be a 600 yard model and a RX-750 both with TBR. I have had no issues with either. Regarding battery life, I use mine religiously during bow season. I range several hundred times a season in scan mode with it constantly updating. I've never ran a battery dead. I replace the battery at the beginning of every other season. My personal favorite is my camo RX-II which is a couple versions old but it still works perfectly and takes a single button press to provide a quick reading.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
gmac405

Post by gmac405 »

Thanks for that good review Nog. I have to admit, I'm leaning more towards the Bushnell now.
Matrix 405
Force 10 String
>>>-------------->
125gr Toxic
18" Zombie Slayer
80g inserts
2" Blazer veins
Lumenoks
>>>-------------->
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

X4 on the Simmons 600.Paid an extra $15 dollars for an extended 3 yr warranty.Never used it.Going on 8 years now.If you're only going to use a range finder for bow hunting,buy the cheapest price.You won't be shooting past 40 yards max.Now if you're going to also shoot rifle,then any range finder that measures 400 yards is plenty unless you're into super long distance target shooting.