micro 335 bowstring

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Re: micro 335 bowstring

Post by xcaliber »

Pistol Pete wrote:My grouping is perhaps 6"at 40 yds.
Are you shooting from a rest, does one arrow hit same POI every time? This is the best process to drill down to root cause.
Use only one arrow.
Verify that arrow is consistent, if not, grab another.
You may find you have 5 good for hunting.
Report back please what you find. Don't get in a hurry! Frustrated shooting never solves problems. :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

xcaliber wrote:[ Don't get in a hurry! Frustrated shooting never solves problems. :wink:

X2! it'll be something simple and it'll drive ya crazy when ya find it . . .jus hang in there!

-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
Pistol Pete

Post by Pistol Pete »

Found my problem, the very tip of the broad heads that keeps the blades in place were ready to fall off. Tightened them up snug and I am now a happy camper. Still learning. Check your equipment everytime.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Put some blue loctite on those scope base screws too.
Put where your from on your profile we like to know!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Pistol Pete

Post by Pistol Pete »

I believe I found my problem, the tip that secures my blades on all 3 broad heads were extremely loose and once I tightened them up my accuracy improved greatly. I guess it's important to check all of your equipment each time you use it.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Glad to hear you got it worked out, happy hunting!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Pistol Pete

Post by Pistol Pete »

My crossbow came with 4 quill arrows and 150 gr field points. What weight can I safely shoot and not damage my bow. Is 125 gr. Rage Mechanical heads a good choice for whitetail . I have a micro 335.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

As long as your TOTAL arrow weight is 350gr or more you can shoot any weight broadhead!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Pistol Pete wrote:My crossbow came with 4 quill arrows and 150 gr field points. What weight can I safely shoot and not damage my bow. Is 125 gr. Rage Mechanical heads a good choice for whitetail . I have a micro 335.
Welcome PP..

The stock quills that come with your Micro in the kit weight roughly 397-398 grains completed with the supplied 150 grain field points, as weighted on my digital grain scale. The Bolt Cutter heads are also 150 grains too..

Excalibur literature says to stay at or above 350 total grains for a completed arrow... So if you were to "go down" in tip weight to a 125 grain tip you would be at roughly 372 grains total arrow weight.. It is advisable to match broadhead and field point weight for consistency..

So, yes you can go to a 125 grain head, but realize the lower the completed arrow weight the more stress and noise there is going to be because the arrow is not capable of absorbing all that energy. That translates to vibration and noise...

Some prefer a light arrow to maximize speed and some prefer a heavy arrow for added penetration and energy absorption, and others prefer somewhere in the middle..

The Rage heads are not a bad head.. There are other better, stronger, better built heads though. ( Opinions may vary )... Broadheads are a personal thing among us hunters.. put 10 guys in a room and probably 9 different heads will be mentioned.. A lot of it boils down to what will fly for "YOU" and give you the confidence in it.

Also, make sure when screwing on the broadheads that they spin true when they are tightened down. Any misalignment will not allow the arrow/head combo to achieve its utmost accuracy and can have an impact in your group consistency when trying to sight in.

Here is where I get a little more obsessive: I like my blades to line up with my fletching. Guys will say it makes no difference and it may not, but I personally need to have them line up for my "peace of mind" so that I know it is one less variable when shooting.

Hope this helps a bit.... Fire away with any questions..
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
Pistol Pete

Post by Pistol Pete »

Thanks for the advice.
Mississippi1

Post by Mississippi1 »

So is a 100 grain head to light for the factory quills?
Micro 335 Camo... Soon to be tinkered!

By the pricking of my thumbs... Something Wicked this way comes...