Alabama Hunters speak out on decoys and crossbows

Post by Woody Williams »

From the Tuscaloosa News....

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/pbcs ... 007/NEWS02

----------------------------------------------

Hunters speak out on decoys and crossbows

By Robert DeWitt Outdoors Writer August 06, 2004

MONTGOMERY

Some of Alabama’s most prominent hunters weighed in Thursday on controversial issues that have had the state’s hunting public buzzing all summer.

Since the Conservation Advisory Board recommended sweeping changes in hunting regulations in May, hunters have argued the merits of legalizing crossbows and turkey decoys and extending the muzzleloader season.

Commissioner of Conservation Barnett Lawley held a public hearing in Montgomery Thursday that officially ended the public comment period that’s been open since the May meeting.

Taking the podium to speak their minds Thursday were former Auburn football coach Pat Dye, nationally known turkey hunting author Tom Kelly and former director of the Game and Fish Division (now known as Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries) Charles Kelley.

The Conservation Advisory Board, a body appointed by the governor, recommended that the state legalize for the first time crossbows and turkey decoys.

In addition, it recommended extending the muzzleloader season from three to five days and to allow hunters to use telescopic sights on their muzzleloaders during the muzzleloader-only season.

The recommendations have received opposition from some archery hunters and turkey hunting purists.

The board makes the recommendation to the commissioner of conservation who then decides whether to accept their recommendations. Lawley has indicated he will accept the board’s recommendations. The regulations he adopts must then pass before the Legislative Review Council.

If the Review Council doesn’t meet in the next 35 days, the regulations take effect. If it does meet and approves the regulations, the regulations take effect. It can, however, choose to stay the regulation changes until the next legislative session.

Since the May meeting, Lawley said he has received more than 1,600 emails and letters on the proposed changes in regulations. He said they are overwhelmingly in favor of adopting the changes.

At Thursday’s hearing, hunters seemed evenly divided on the issues. Dye spoke up in favor of legalizing crossbows and turkey decoys.

“There ain’t a damn thing that says you have to take a decoy out there and set it up if you don’t want to," Dye said. “But if you want to use one, you ought to be able to."

Dye said the most important issue was getting more people involved in hunting. He believes the additional opportunities provided by crossbows and turkey decoys could do that.

Dye also defended Lawley and Conservation Advisory Board Chairman Dan Moultrie who have taken heat on the issues.

“Don’t let this thing become political," he said. “Do what’s best for the state of Alabama."

Kelly, author of such well-known books as “The Tenth Legion" and “Better on a Rising Tide," said he has been turkey hunting since 1938. Back then, there were very few turkeys. Now Alabama has one of the country’s biggest turkey populations.

“Whatever we have done since 1938 has been right, righter and righter," Kelly said. “Let’s not change it."

Kelly believes decoys would help unskilled hunters kill turkeys on the edge of fields and put too much pressure on the resource.

Charles Kelley echoed Kelly’s sentiments.

“It doesn’t bother me a bit that Alabama is the only state that doesn’t allow turkey decoys," the former director said.

He also warned that legalizing crossbows and turkey decoys would create infighting among hunters. That would be bad for all hunters, he said.

Most hunters who favored the crossbow’s legalization cited the weapon’s usefulness in allowing older hunters to participate in bow season. Crossbows are legal for people with handicaps but getting a handicapped permit is difficult. Several older hunters said they aren’t physically able to use a compound or long bow but don’t qualify for crossbows under current regulations.

“There is no reason morally, ethically, from an enforcement standpoint or biologically not to extend the use of crossbows into archery season," said hunter Jack Cropp.

Bow hunters who oppose the crossbow say their sport’s difficulty earned them a special, longer season than gun hunters. They say the crossbow isn’t as difficult to use and shouldn’t be considered archery equipment. Hunter Chris Vandiver compared allowing crossbows to lowering the basketball goal in the National Basketball Association.

Turkey hunters for and against decoys argued along similar lines. Those in favor of decoys pointed to the additional hunting opportunity they would create. Those opposed to decoys said they would make the sport easier and put too much pressure on the turkey population.

Reach Robert DeWitt at [email protected] or at 722-0203.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
BRIANCARROLL2573

Post by BRIANCARROLL2573 »

Charles Kelley is a stupid, narrow minded, old man. We are better off without the likes of him in charge of our hunting privaleges.
Ontario Bow Hunter

Post by Ontario Bow Hunter »

Sounds like a lot bureaucracy bull crap to me. Also seems like people that oppose the crossbow do so because they feel like they fought the big fight and they don't want to share,... kind of like a kid with candy. No easy solution to this type of stuff.

Post by Guest »

Woody: This guy must be a member of BHA. There was at least 2/3 for crossbows, 1/3 anticrossbows. Striper
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Striper,

Ah, what do you expect from the media?

I would wager that if we went back and pulled up his other columns they would be anti-crossbow..

Brian,

That was my take on him too. The BHA trotted out a letter from the OLD board, including Kelley. Most served back in the '80s. Times and things have changed since they were in there and in bed with the BHA.
Last edited by Woody Williams on Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
striper

Post by striper »

Woody: I tried to e-mail the clown that wrote this article, and the message was not delivered- not a valid address. Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
Vince (not logged in)

Post by Vince (not logged in) »

Hi guys,

I used to bear hunt over bait...it's alot of work arranging bait, transporting, replenishing etc.

Anywho, one day during my pre-arranged bait pickup at a local donut shop this guy starts drilling me on the fact that, as a hunter himself, it wasn't ethical to bait bears and that it should be banned, blah, blah, blah.

I asked him what he hunted, he said deer.
I asked him if he hunted game trails...or rub lines...or scrape lines...or
bedding areas...or corn fields....or acorn woodlots....or apple orchards....or alfalfa....or clover.
He answered 'no' to all my questions. As i was walking away, he said i use salt blocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Makes me wonder if there are any ducks or geese or deer in Montgomery, Alabamba and whether hunters use calls or decoys...............or salt blocks!!!!!!!!!!!!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Vince,

You hit the nail on the head. There is NO difference between baiting bears, using attracting scents for deer, decoys for ducks or calling turkey. It is all "baiting". They are all used for the same purpose, the same reason, to get the game within range.

Not everyone sees it that way. But it is true. And unlike decoys, baiting, as you mentioned, requires a lot more effort in getting the bait, hauling it to your desired location, daily/weekly replenishments, driving great distances, etc. And even after all that work there is still no guarantee a bear will show it self while you are sitting in your treestand. They may very well be hitting the bait, but some are smarter than others and stay away until dark.