Axiom speed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowrook

Axiom speed

Post by xbowrook »

I read somewhere on here that the axiom smf, set up out of the box was shooting 303 fps... I take it that was with the Firebolts and 150 grain head? Just wondering because I gave no access to a chronograph and was trying to figure out the speed if my axiom... I am shooting the Firebolts with 125 grain head with Dan's (xcaliber) custom string with whiskers... If that post ( 303 fps) with original out of the box set up is correct, I am to assume I should be shooting around 309 fps?? Anyone have any input?
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
awshucks

Re: Axiom speed

Post by awshucks »

To get max speed, you'll need a FFF string and 350 gr [total weight] arrows. If your arrows are over 350 gr, subtract 1 fps per 5 gr weight. Say your arrows are 400 gr. 400-350= 50/5=10 fps.
"Eze 18:21"
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

.....don't forget, the whiskers will also reduce speed.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

With the whiskered string and 370 grain arrows I was around 295 fps. with an Ibex. No whiskers, 352 grains got 312 fps same bow. This was with 24 strand Rhino String.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

thanks guys.. I am shooting the xcaliber custom strings ( from Dan) with whiskers.. my arrows are the 20" firebolts and 125 grain heads.. so firebolts are 265 grain plus the 125 grain for the heads brings me to 390 grains... so I should be just under 300 fps.. that is fine by me... even at that, it's fast.. going into my Black Hole target up to the fletchings at 20 yards..
Last edited by xbowrook on Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

It's been said here many times, speed don't bring the trophy home, accuracy does! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

xcaliber wrote:It's been said here many times, speed don't bring the trophy home, accuracy does! :wink:

exactly.. and I feel bad because I was getting caught up in the " get the most speed out of 'er" attitude.. then , as I was explaining things to my boy who is getting into hunting, I realized it clear as day as I told him how I would rather have a bow 10 fps slower but 10 times more accurate.. and to see him shooting last night ( see pics' in my other thread) and how he can place real nice groups at 20 and 30 yards.. and keep in mind, he has never shot a crossbow until I got this one a few weeks ago, and last night was the first time he's ever shot 20 and 30 yards.. so the fact that he can confidently place 4 bolts in a hockey puck size area from those yardages is fine by me, even if I am not maxed out in terms of speed.. rather be deadly accurate as opposed to fast and all over the place..
galamb

Post by galamb »

xcaliber wrote:It's been said here many times, speed don't bring the trophy home, accuracy does! :wink:
Disagree, speed kills.

But usually if you go off the road speeding into the deer stand on the dirt road after waking up late :lol:
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
bubba

Post by bubba »

I dis agree also speed does kill.. And sure accuracy is the most important.... But every foot per second extra sure don't hurt. For me both go hand in hand......
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

my "slow" exocet 165 will stick a 400 grain arrow into the ground far enough after going though a deer that it can be hard to find in the underbrush . Rated at 270fps and probably shooting slower than that . An axiom shooting in the 290s will be more than enough for any deer unfortunate enough to step in front of it .
Exocet 165 2.5x32 Drop Zone scope
Vixenmaster and Danny miller strings
Gold tip laser II arrows ,Muzzy 235 broadheads
Pintail

Post by Pintail »

Fast is fine, but accuracy is final....Wyatt Earp :)
Have crossbows will travel
Turkey-terminator

Post by Turkey-terminator »

:D nice
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

Turkey-terminator wrote::D nice
Say hi to my son everyone... He goes by Turkey Terminator... Lol
sean

Post by sean »

checked my Axiom this morning,lazer 2, brass insert, 100 grain point and m5 st/steel spring washer, 415 grains @286 ft/sec