Matrix 330 review

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Matrix 330 review

Post by xcaliber »

Well, I finally got both bows sighted in, and hit the chronograph. The mosquitoes were bad, like little vampires! :shock: This might be a tad lengthy, but I want to cover several things. First off, it took a while to get set, both scopes were changed around some, I put different rings on the 355, etc. Shooting off hand took a bit of practice as well, and I will say the Micro wins hands down for someone my size for holding steady! The 330 is not bad however, nor the 355, just some practice needed.
OK, the arrows used are Zombie Slayer in both .001" / .003" stripped graphics Fusion LP vanes, weighing in at 383 grains with 100 grain points. Flemish strings on both models, 46 strand Fury on the 355, 28 strand Rhino on the 330. I think the Rhino gave me a bit more huff with the 355, but as I said, I was giving up a lot of blood, so I'll swap that out, and chronograph later! :lol: The 330 is first, better than expected with that arrow weight.
[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... i.jpg.html]Image
[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... u.jpg.html]Image

The girls just hanging out! :lol:
[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... g.jpg.html]Image

The range!
[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... r.jpg.html]Image

My off hand shooting with the 330 Matrix at 30 yards! 8)

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... r.jpg.html]Image

The Trigger Tech Single stage trigger is awesome, I had worries about the feel with gloves when hunting, not an issue! I do like it a bit more than the two stage. The Redfield Revenge is set on the 355 at ring setting "5" to match that arrow speed. The Nikon is nice, but tricky lining up for longer shots at this range because the marry up funky. 20 / 29 / 43 / 55 / 61. I did set the 30 yard dead arse on, and shot from the sticks at 40, and 50. 40 yards was good enough for hunting, but I would be skeptical on 50 yard shots! Now, if I could get a nice deer to dance around out at 55 yards, maybe then! :lol:
Summing it up, the 330 is plenty of bow, nice to shoot, easy on serving, and very easy to cock! 8) I do like the fact that both bows use the same arrow length, and this will really simplify things for my forgetful hunting trips!
[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... u.jpg.html]Image
Last edited by xcaliber on Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
coolhl

Re: Matrix 330 review

Post by coolhl »

Dan,
great review...
I may have to get a 330 or 355 but will never part with my Micro...
and, of course, a SS TT trigger makes the experience that much sweeter...
do you notice any difference in the 0.003 and .001 with either bow...
at thirty yds any difference in your groupings between 330 and 335?
so whats your next bow gonna be :wink: ???
norm
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

At 50 yards, absolutely no noticeable difference in arrows accuracy. My next one will be a Grizzly, or Cub most likely, right now, I'm very happy with the setups. I think my next purchase will be another scope. Love the Nikon, butt...
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Looks like you got it figured out Dan . good luck with your new toy. :) :) :)
W.M.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Sweet couple of bows hanging there !

In looking at the crono. pictures, I take it the first was with 330 and second with the 355?

Awesome group at 30 yds. "free hand". At my age the only way I attempt that kind of group woud be off a bench. :roll: While in the woods, it would be off the side of a solid tree, over a fence post or off a fence rail but I can never find one as everyone here uses steel posts and barbed wire. :mrgreen:

Great #'s, but in looking at mine with the arrows you built having the exact same lenght and extremely close in wt. as the factory wraps were left on mine and I added a small 2" high viz one just below the vanes to the tune of 388 total weight. I can see the 355 with the fury string ( I think that's what you made mine from) , may in deed be a bit better as it did give mine a few more fps.

Not a problem for you though as we use the same string maker :lol:

I finally got and installed the cheek piece and ADF from Danny on my 355. Boy his prices on those sure beat others I found. Danny's Cheek piece was only $25 vs: the $45 one I bought and put on Ron's 330 before the trade. Now just waiting on Cabelas for the scope to arrive and it will be set up exactly as your 355, but with the Nikon scope.........Gonna be nice !

Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Gene, your string is the Rhino, and it is a tad faster it seems. I have a buddy testing Fury Flemish on his, and he too is seeing a bit slower speeds. I think 2-3 FPS if not mistaken, and I think you got a bit hotter set of limbs on your 355, but accuracy kills the bucks where I live! :lol: :lol: :wink: 8)
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Which ever string you choose ? It will be QUALITY...

I was thinking mine was pretty quick, giving me 352 fps at 388 gn.... but that, may be attributed to the fact that Ron told me that set of limbs were marked 102 .

The 330 I sent in return to him had a set marked 104 ... I know the first arrow I shot thru it with the factory string at Cabelas before the purchase went thru at 341 @ a total wt of 350 gn. I was blow away by that.

Either way, the deer or in my case, elk will never realize what speed he just encounterd. :wink:

Congrats on an awesome pair... everyone should be so lucky. :mrgreen:

Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Scamp tralier
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

It's a nasty addiction! 8)
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

xcaliber wrote:It's a nasty addiction! 8)

OH,,,yes it is!!! :D

Is your range your back yard????? :?:
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
Fletch2

Post by Fletch2 »

Thx for review I believe my next would be 330 :D
2012 vortex
vixenmaster string
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

JUSTANUFF wrote:

No, it's two towns over from me. Free, public park, very few use it. I go to my in laws quite a bit though, they have a few acres to shoot on.
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

xcaliber wrote:
JUSTANUFF wrote:

No, it's two towns over from me. Free, public park, very few use it. I go to my in laws quite a bit though, they have a few acres to shoot on.
Very nice range 8)
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

This range was built by an old teacher of JPjunkie's from high school, I think it was wood shop he said. I also think JP said he has passed away, he sure left a nice range for folks to use!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

L. E. Carroll wrote:Sweet couple of bows hanging there !

In looking at the crono. pictures, I take it the first was with 330 and second with the 355?

Awesome group at 30 yds. "free hand". At my age the only way I attempt that kind of group woud be off a bench. :roll: While in the woods, it would be off the side of a solid tree, over a fence post or off a fence rail but I can never find one as everyone here uses steel posts and barbed wire. :mrgreen:

Great #'s, but in looking at mine with the arrows you built having the exact same lenght and extremely close in wt. as the factory wraps were left on mine and I added a small 2" high viz one just below the vanes to the tune of 388 total weight. I can see the 355 with the fury string ( I think that's what you made mine from) , may in deed be a bit better as it did give mine a few more fps.

Not a problem for you though as we use the same string maker :lol:

I finally got and installed the cheek piece and ADF from Danny on my 355. Boy his prices on those sure beat others I found. Danny's Cheek piece was only $25 vs: the $45 one I bought and put on Ron's 330 before the trade. Now just waiting on Cabelas for the scope to arrive and it will be set up exactly as your 355, but with the Nikon scope.........Gonna be nice !

Gene
Gene, I did some manipulating on my 355 when I had the Nikon on it to make things easier for quick shots in the field. You know all too well that there is no time for math problems when shots materialize. When you get it installed, call me before hitting the range. I'll share my thoughts with you Sir.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Thank's Dan I'll call when it arrives for your helpful info and to get you started on the next set of Zombie Slayers ( I hope you still have 6 to set me up with ).

Gene
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Scamp tralier