Nocks and things

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

WNYBILL

Nocks and things

Post by WNYBILL »

Just got a Axiom and already have a Burnett Ghost. Flat nock vs half moon nock. Both use 20 inch bolts and I am going to stay with 125 gr. points.

Can I safely use my de-cocking bolt with the half moon nock on my Axiom, if I am careful getting the half moon aligned with the string?

After careful analyses, it appears to me as if there is less chance of a miss-fire with a half moon nock, IF YOU CAREFULLY ALIGN IT WITH THE STRING. But I read posts to the contrary. Can someone give me a simple explanation?

Thank you,
Bill
xcaliber

Re: Nocks and things

Post by xcaliber »

Someone did a graphic demonstration here some time back, and I can't remember if they were for, or against the moon nocks. The thing that worries me is if the moon is not centered to the string, would the string be prone to jump under, or over the arrow? I use flat 100% of the time with all of my Excalibur Crossbows.

Congrats on the Axiom, and welcome to the forum. :D
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I believe that you should learn how to de-cock your Axiom using the cocking rope. The procedure is simple & I can de-cock my Equinox while in the tree stand. You do NOT need to shoot any Excel CB to uncock the CB.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
Big John

Post by Big John »

Agreed! You do not, and is better not to, shoot a de-cocking arrow.
MUCH better to use the rope cocker. SO easy it's silly! :wink:

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Deerstalker wrote:I believe that you should learn how to de-cock your Axiom using the cocking rope. The procedure is simple & I can de-cock my Equinox while in the tree stand. You do NOT need to shoot any Excel CB to uncock the CB.
That is the best advice! One of the advantages of Excalibur crossbows is you can un-cock them without having to shoot an arrow or a dummy (blank) arrow. Once you do it a few times it's really easy. If you must shoot a blank make sure it meets the minimum 350 grain weight recommended by Excalibur, otherwise it would be akin to a dry-fire which is not good :shock:
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Kegbelly wrote:
Deerstalker wrote:I believe that you should learn how to de-cock your Axiom using the cocking rope. The procedure is simple & I can de-cock my Equinox while in the tree stand. You do NOT need to shoot any Excel CB to uncock the CB.
That is the best advice! One of the advantages of Excalibur crossbows is you can un-cock them without having to shoot an arrow or a dummy (blank) arrow. Once you do it a few times it's really easy. If you must shoot a blank make sure it meets the minimum 350 grain weight recommended by Excalibur, otherwise it would be akin to a dry-fire which is not good :shock:
X2 to Big John and Keg on what they told ya !!!!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

It took me a few months to work up the courage to de-cock my Emax w/ rope cocker, then I laughed, it was that easy.

Nocks: As it was explained to me, if your claws flip up above rail, flat. If they flip down into rail, half moon.

You have one of each.......... :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I will only shoot flat nocks. Period. These bows were designed for flats.I see no advantage to half moons, captures or any others. Ditto on the dummy arrow or shooting to unload. Watch the video in the instructional section, as stated it's very easy.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.