String expected life on Exomax.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sbill

String expected life on Exomax.

Post by sbill »

I have an Exomax after 125-150 shots , rope protecting string where rope cocking aid hooks touch begin to unroll and left the string unprotected , I have put a new string on , does somebody have same problems with your string on your excalibur crossbow.
Newbi

Post by Newbi »

I had the same problem with my Exomag till I ordered a couple of strings from BJ. Been shooting the same string now for several hundred shots and is just now beginning to show a little wear, but is still quite usable. Just be sure to wax it every 30-40 shots. BJ's strings are more durable than any I have found. :D
Leo in Ga

Post by Leo in Ga »

sbill, welcome to the forum :D

It's called serving and it's there to protect the string. It will eventually go, but if you are waxing the string every 50 to 60 shots as recommended, IMO, it should last longer than that :)

I would also check the flat nocks on my arrows for sharp edges and inspect the hooks on the cocking aid for burrs :)

Good luck

leo
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

I will second that BJ's custom strings wear much better.....

Mike
Vince (not logged in)

Post by Vince (not logged in) »

Sbill,

The 'rope protecting string' is called serving.
Materials such as monofilament, dacron and Fast flight are used for serving....eventually, they wear out.

Fast Flight, in my experience, is the most durable and i serve all my strings (vertical and crossbow) with same.

As far as my Excalibur, to minimize wear n tear on serving, i used a dremel tool and polished the string catch.
BUCKSHOT

String Wear

Post by BUCKSHOT »

I also have a bow string from bj. I had trouble with it when I first used my Vixen, the string wore quickly at the spot where the claws grab it!
bj advised me to polish the claws/hooks and since then I have had no more wear than can be expected!
I suggest that when you notice your string failing that you replace it, but keep it and have it re-served. This will save you some $, and if you don't let your serving wear too much you can likely re-use the string many many times!
Just a thought!
BTW the strings you get from bj seem expensive but they last two or three times longer than others!
Happy Shooting
Enjoy the Harvest!