Deer and tomatoes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grouse

Deer and tomatoes

Post by grouse »

Does anyone have a good way to keep deer from destroying my tomato garden? These are suburban deer and they have been raiding my tomato patch and eating both the tomatoes and the plants. They have eaten approx. 40-50 of the larger (ready to ripen) tomatoes on my plants in the last few nights. I have tried two different brands of deer spray repellent and I might just as well use water.

These deer have little fear of anything. I walk my two bird dogs off leash in open areas behind my house and I make them heel when I see deer. The deer will stay in the field about 60-75 yards away if the dogs don't start toward them. I have cut grass next to the field they were in and they come closer as I mow. They don't spook easily.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know. We love home-grown tomatoes and you just can't get anything that tastes like them in the stores. I would like to keep some for us!
axiom
350 SE
Normous

Re: Deer and tomatoes

Post by Normous »

Is your garden fenced?
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Your on a x bow forum asking about deer eating your tomatoes, whack em and eatem. Deer and tomatoes go good on a sandwich :mrgreen:
grouse

Post by grouse »

A venison cheeseburger with a slice of heirloom tomato does sound good but I live in an incorporated area and I don't think you can even legally shoot a crossbow outdoors.
axiom
350 SE
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Small three wire electric fence. I have a few neighbors who use this with great success. You just have to stagger the wires so that they can't jump it. One jolt and they'll never come back.
Hank
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

the fence better be high & strong .the other way is not going to help as you would have to kill them all.had the same problem here with whitetails so I planted 12 oxhart tamato plants right at the front door and had 34 buds one day next day they were all gone.gave up now I just buy what I need.its great you have a hurd there but they love gardens :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

They's trespassing aren't they?? 8)

Make yourself a scarecrow dressed in blaze orange with a fake ak 47 from Walmart toy dept.
nannyhammer

Post by nannyhammer »

try ground cayenne pepper or "deer stop" spray that you can get from a hardware store. The "deer stop" spray is water based made with emulsified eggs, red pepper and garlic. Stinks to high heaven when wet but you can't smell it when dry. Don't get it on you.....you won't live long enough to get the smell off.
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Shoot em', works with rabbits!
Matrix 355 - "Spike"
20 " BE Executioners, 110 gr brass inserts, 2" blazers
NAP 100 gr Spitfires
Wyvern Flemish String
DM Bumpers
Semper Fi!
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

nannyhammer wrote:try ground cayenne pepper or "deer stop" spray that you can get from a hardware store. The "deer stop" spray is water based made with emulsified eggs, red pepper and garlic. Stinks to high heaven when wet but you can't smell it when dry. Don't get it on you.....you won't live long enough to get the smell off.
yes, red pepper mixed with water and use a spray bottle to mist them with`
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
canoe13

Post by canoe13 »

Try Irish Spring soap just lay slices of it around the garden or put out handfuls of human hair or mothballs. These items work in my cemetery for awhile then you reapply.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I have used a solution of cayenne pepper powder cost about 2 bucks, Tabasco, dawn dish detergent add this after as you put it in the bottle, this makes it stick better for less reapplications and water, some add powdered garlic also. Mix in a pan and heat, this will blend it better, let cool and fill a spray bottle adding detergent, I get em at dollar general, ,,, no problem with hurting the plant and washes off easily when you're ready to eat them. Works with rabbits also, just make sure after a rain or heavy dew that you re-apply. Usually after few attempts they quit coming back,,,,,,good luck!!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
884savage

Post by 884savage »

I grow produce to sell at farmer's markets and to people right out my door. I have 2 black labs, and I move their kennel around the garden. They go just nuts enough when deer and coons come around to keep them at bay. I live in the country surrounded by 1000's of acres of deer infested woodlots. Nothing else has ever slowed them down, but they don't like dogs.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

canoe13 wrote:Try Irish Spring soap just lay slices of it around the garden or put out handfuls of human hair or mothballs. These items work in my cemetery for awhile then you reapply.
X2.....Hang slices of it on a string around your plants..... :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
Seafermiles

Post by Seafermiles »

Sea Ya

Matrix 330, AirBrakes, Reds, Cheek Piece, Ex-tender
Smokepolehall Flemish String