If I were to buy a muzzleloader...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Spring

If I were to buy a muzzleloader...

Post by Spring »

What would you guys recommend?

I'm not interested in a MML just as a matter of personal preference. I haven't even begun to do the research but when I do I expect I'll look at a Lyman Great Plains Rifle or something similar.

Does anyone use a flintlock?

Any help you could give re: candidates, calibre, or simply what to look for in a muzzleloader would be appreciated.

I swore I wouldn't take up any more sports or hobbies that required me to buy equipment. I've got equipment up the yin yang. Then along came a muzzleloader season in my WMU. What's a guy to do?

Cheers!
Newbi

Post by Newbi »

It sounds like you are looking at the more traditional muzzle loaders. That is where my interests are. I have never shot one of the in-line types. Yes I own two flintlocks, and have owned several others in the past. I love em, but I really am a traditionalist. They take more persistance to get good with, but I just think they are more fun. Patched round ball only. In the traditional types either flint or percussion, I like the .54 cal as a good all around caliber. It is not too much for deer and if loaded heavily enough will easily take bigger game. For deer, anything .45 cal. and up will do just fine in round ball, if loaded with the right charge of powder. The Lyman Great Plains Rifle is a very nice choice. My guns are all custom made, but I have a friend who has a Lyman and it is a fine shooter. Check out Dixie Gun Works. They have a catalog that will make you drool :) www.Dixiegun.com
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've had about everything made at one time or another. I like flintlocks, but most production flintlocks leave a lot to be desired on ignition.
For a caplock the Great Plains is a good choice in production rifles. T/C makes a couple (the Hawken & the Renegade Hunter) but they are 1:48 twist and not great accuracy with round ball loads. For round balls you would do better with 1:66 twist like the Lyman has (as I remember). I presently use a T/C NewEnglander with the tang mounted apeture rear sight and a .50 1:48 twist barrel for plinking and a 12ga. barrel for birds. for hunting I use an inline (T/C Omega) because a scope helps me actually hit what I want to :lol: (as eyes age sights get fuzzy).
I sold the .62 smoothbore flinter I had because I had too many guns and it brought a fair price. I miss it, but it was limited in range with the smoothbore barrel. Made a heck of a squirrel gun with shot though :lol:
wabi
johnbuck9

MUZZLELOADERS

Post by johnbuck9 »

I agree withWabi , He hit it right on the head, Ive been shooting smokepoles since the mid 70's and Wabi is right on, if your intentions are too buy a production model I would go with great plains, and if you are going too be a round ball shooter only, 1:66 twist great accuracy, Cal. is up too you , I like a 54 for hunting with round ball, now T/C if you want an inline the omega, is simple too load very accurate, and you can mount a scope, infact I just got a new omega about , well it was on Thurs. this past week I got there new thumbhole laminated stock, wow is that baby steady,
I believe that lyman is now making barrels that you can interchange, so you can have a round ball barrel and a sabot type barrel like a 1:28 twist they really improve on sabot bullet accuracy, I mean like right in there,
there ya go I just added a couple hundred more bucks for ya too spend on an extra barrel, Have fun.
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

I have the Lyman Trade rifle .54 cal 1:48 twist(handles round balls just fine) and a Traditions Tracker .50 cal 209 inline. They both shoot great. However, when I hunt, I exclusively hunt with the inline. It uses inexpensive 209 shotgun primers that give very positive ignition(I have yet to experience a hangfire with it). I had to tinker quite a bit to get the Lyman firing without a hangfire with Pyrodex during our late wintery, wet season for deer.

I have scopes on both using Leupold detachable lever style mounts and rings. They are expensive, but it's a nice feature to be able to take off the scope for cleaning. These rings and mounts keep their zero to within an inch at 100 yards.

I like you have too many toys. The Tracker was about as inexpensive as I could go and quite frankly, it'll do what any of the more expensive rifles will. Accuracy and ignition is great and with 150 grain magnum loads, it'll take down an elephant with the proper heavy slug. ( I keep my hunting loads around 110 grains.)

....a little side note, in Quebec .45 cal rifles are not allowed for moose... not sure of the regulations in Ontario. I certainly wouldn't use the enemic .45 cal round ball for large Ontario whitetails and definitely not for moose! If you are decided on a traditional rifle, go .54 cal., but here again this wouldn't be my choice if moose is on the menu. I'd stay away from round balls for moose.

In my opinion, the inline in .50 cal. with shotgun primer ignition is a superior weapon for a hunting any game whether it be deer or moose. (That should raise some hackles with the tadtionalists! :mrgreen: )
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Woodsman,
If you're having ignition problems you might want to switch to 209 primers. I have one of Hubbard's mag-spark conversions on my T/C and it works! A little slow to load, but it is great and also is much cleaner and you don't get any sparks & cap fragments in the face.
http://www.hubbardsoutdoorproducts.com/mag.html
wabi
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Wabi, very interseting! Looks like you have to put the cap and then screw on the cover? :? It's hard to tell from the picture in the ad.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

Sring,

As you can see, these guys not only know crossbows, they know ML's too. :D What type of ML you get is going to depend on what you want to do with it. If you want to stay traditional and use round balls then the Lyman with it's 1 turn in 66" is a good choice. If you plan on using saboted bullets then you want a faster twist like 1 in 28". 45 to 54 cal are good for deer.
I have two ML's, a T/C in line Thunderhawk that I shoot sabots with and a caplock T/C Hawken with a 1 in 66" Green mountain barrel that I use for round balls, both are .50 cal. I used to shoot ML competitions with the Hawken. Muzzleloading is a lot of fun and every bit as addicting as archery. Good luck!

huntin1
"Never corner something meaner than you"
wabi

Post by wabi »

Looks like you have to put the cap and then screw on the cover?
Yep, it is slower to load, but the primer is enclosed and you don't get any flash or fragments stinging your face. I usually snap a cap or two before loading to be sure things are clear & oil free. I frequently run a ramrod down the barrel with a cleaning jag & patch and leave it there to snap a cap. The patch will have a scortched spot from the flame, and the ramdod will move slightly (1/2" +/-) forward with a percussion cap. The cap makes a lot of noise & fire around the nipple. With the mag-spark the burn spot is much bigger & darker, the ramrod jumps farther (2-3"), and the noise is very low and no flash to see. All the fire is going into the chamber, none escaping around the nipple! I've read a 209 primer is something like 3 times the flame and 900 degrees hotter than a #11 cap! I've tried musket caps, and they offer some improvement over #11's, but this is a huge improvement!
I would recommend the package with a spare cover! It could easily get dropped & lost in a hurried loading situation!
wabi