Factory Trigger Mod

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Doe Master
Site Admin

Re: Factory Trigger Mod

Post by Doe Master »

Shady, people are just worried about your well being .
Now having dabbled in just a few triggers . :D What you have done has been done before by Ten Point a number of years ago . With some disaster at the National Crossbow Matchs in Ohio . There was a number of misinformed discharges . :shock: ( I can not call it an accident when you tamper with a trigger unit )
Believe me it is good to experiment . Just not at the risk of safety .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....Shady....wanted you to know, I did find the Shady Tree to sit under...so keep your posts a coming...can someone pass me the lemonade? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Seafermiles

Post by Seafermiles »

amythntr wrote:....Shady....wanted you to know, I did find the Shady Tree to sit under...so keep your posts a coming...can someone pass me the lemonade? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ewwwe ! Lemonade ?? I would think something WARM sitting in the chilly morning or evening air. I like my K-cup Hazelnut Cappuccino with a cup of Breakfast Blend mixed 50/50 then go out at the pond and watch the fish in the morning.
Too Much Fun
Sea Ya

Matrix 330, AirBrakes, Reds, Cheek Piece, Ex-tender
Smokepolehall Flemish String
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Seafermiles wrote:
amythntr wrote:....Shady....wanted you to know, I did find the Shady Tree to sit under...so keep your posts a coming...can someone pass me the lemonade? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ewwwe ! Lemonade ?? I would think something WARM sitting in the chilly morning or evening air. I like my K-cup Hazelnut Cappuccino with a cup of Breakfast Blend mixed 50/50 then go out at the pond and watch the fish in the morning.
Too Much Fun
....why would I need a Shade Tree but for the hot afternoon, summer sun....i rest my case with a cold lemonade, make that two! :lol: :lol: :lol:

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Stick around Shady, it's a great bunch of fellas...and, uhh....fellarinas???...here. :lol: it sounds like you have a lot to offer. You should see what happens when we start talking about strings or mechanical vs fixed blade broadheads. :shock: We all have something to offer based on our own experience. No one is attacking you so don't take it as that. Again, welcome to the forum. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Just pull the set screw if you ever sell your Excal, no harm, no foul, no liability for anyone.... :mrgreen:

I've often thought of doing the same thing.....
"Eze 18:21"
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

I am no machinist but I will ask this question based on a very scary experience I had. can you really trust a single set screw in an environment of high vibration and stress???
I was in my 17 ft flats boat on my boat lift as it was several feet above the water and being lowered by two motors utilizing chains and sprocket gears...a single set screw came loose and the smaller sprocket gear came off, the chain slipped and my boat lift cradle, along with my boat and I slipped suddenly and completely sideways into the water from at least three feet above see level. fortunately and surprisingly no damage to me or the boat but it was a frightening reminder that set screws do not always stay set.
norm
PS having said this I hope Shady sticks around since this is what healthy debate is all about. I wish I had the expertise to tinker like he does.
Pintail

Post by Pintail »

Shadytree, Nice work with great pics. I agree that crossbow triggers are the air of simplicity. It doesn't take a degree in quantum physics to rework one to a better degree of function. The shade tree mechanics and basement machinists of the world are the true innovators of many product refinements. Folks that are truly into their sport and equipment will research every angle before taking on any modification task. I applaud the folks who share their work.
Have crossbows will travel
jparchery

Post by jparchery »

I applaud the folks who share work on this site as well , but make no mistake modifying a trigger should not be a DIY project . I'm a licensed tradesperson myself and I've seen very bad things happen when people try to fix there own things that should have been fixed by professionals. Having your trigger polished by someone with experience is ok with me, but drilling, tapping new threads then adding a set screw in your trigger housing is NOT a good idea . A set screw CAN move either way, up or down, whether you use loctite or not. I wouldn't recommend doing this, but no reason to leave the forum. Stick around
Shadytree

Post by Shadytree »

Thanks everyone. I'll stick around. Just didn't realize triggers were such a hot topic.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Shadytree wrote:Thanks everyone. I'll stick around. Just didn't realize triggers were such a hot topic.
It's not the triggers that are such a hot topic.....
It's people like me that might try something like that and don't have a clue what they are doing.
I don't have a clue... but I wouldn't try it anyway. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, the replies to your post were nothing more than people being concerned about your safety and the safety of others.
No harm done. :wink:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

BrotherRon wrote:
Shadytree wrote:Thanks everyone. I'll stick around. Just didn't realize triggers were such a hot topic.
It's not the triggers that are such a hot topic.....
It's people like me that might try something like that and don't have a clue what they are doing.
I don't have a clue... but I wouldn't try it anyway. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, the replies to your post were nothing more than people being concerned about your safety and the safety of others.
No harm done. :wink:
....and a very spirited discussion at that...and that is what this forum is all about....we don't have to agree with each other....just show respect in your responses and give each other a Big Excalibur Hug at the end of the day :wink:

Last edited by amythntr on Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

Well first of all I admire anyone that can think out of the box and improve on any design. However I am going out on a limb here and make a statement that will probably not sit well with Excalibur managment. Why do we as customers have to purchase or attempt modify/improve a trigger on a $1000.00 crossbow in the first place. I owned an Exomax for several years and the trigger was acceptable not great but good enough. I purchase a Matrix 380 and the trigger was bad....very bad. I end up buying a TT and love it. In my humble opinion when I am paying this much money for a crossbow I would expect to have perfected trigger assembly right from the factory. To somewhat repeat what an Excal employee said above the trigger assembly is the most important part of a crossbow. Well then why oh why do customers have to spend more good money to purchase an aftermarket trigger or have the factory trigger reworked or have someone take the risk of redesigning and fabricating the factory trigger to make it better... If the trigger was machined properly from the factory in the first place none of this would be happening because people would be happy with the trigger as it is maybe not everyone of course but poor machining processes are not acceptable in this day and age. Excal can and should in my opinion do a better job machining these triggers. Thanks.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
Normous

Post by Normous »

Michiganhunter wrote: Why do we as customers have to purchase or attempt modify/improve a trigger on a $1000.00 crossbow in the first place.
A lot of guns in the $1000 dollar range get trigger jobs and new drop in units to replace the factory offering, why not a $1000 crossbow?
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Shadytree

Post by Shadytree »

Michiganhunter wrote:Well first of all I admire anyone that can think out of the box and improve on any design. However I am going out on a limb here and make a statement that will probably not sit well with Excalibur managment. Why do we as customers have to purchase or attempt modify/improve a trigger on a $1000.00 crossbow in the first place. I owned an Exomax for several years and the trigger was acceptable not great but good enough. I purchase a Matrix 380 and the trigger was bad....very bad. I end up buying a TT and love it. In my humble opinion when I am paying this much money for a crossbow I would expect to have perfected trigger assembly right from the factory. To somewhat repeat what an Excal employee said above the trigger assembly is the most important part of a crossbow. Well then why oh why do customers have to spend more good money to purchase an aftermarket trigger or have the factory trigger reworked or have someone take the risk of redesigning and fabricating the factory trigger to make it better... If the trigger was machined properly from the factory in the first place none of this would be happening because people would be happy with the trigger as it is maybe not everyone of course but poor machining processes are not acceptable in this day and age. Excal can and should in my opinion do a better job machining these triggers. Thanks.
I also have a 380 and the trigger was pretty bad. A lot of creep and not smooth creep. Upon disassembly (I mentioned this earlier) I was surprised by how rough the machining marks were on the sear. They travel across sear on both surfaces creating ridges that rake across each other when the trigger is pulled. My particular trigger had a rather large ridge right at the edge of the sears release point. I spent about 15 minutes polishing, did not remove all the machine marks but managed to get a more consistent surface and increased contact.
Also something to note is that my trigger/sear hits the anodized aluminum housing hard enough to have worn away the anodizing under it, and I only have 40 or so shots through the bow. That was ancillary benefit of the set screw as it removed that point of contact. I should have photographed it before installing the screw but didn't.