Stringin Aid

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hi5

Re: Stringin Aid

Post by Hi5 »

Big box stores likely have some pimple faced kid starting his employment career or old geezer supplementing his pension working behind the counter. He's the guy serving a customer who wants to buy a crossbow. Maybe he was actually the store employee who took the training. More likely it was his supervisor who got the training as a perk just to be away from work.

In any case, the one offering advice to the customer is pretty much a minimum wage person who should be assumed not to give much of a darn....or someone pretending to know what he is talking about.

Then you have the Archery retailers who want to sell long bows and consider the crossbow to be legal but only just a bit more honorable than selling crystal meth to school kids.

The crossbow itself is designed to be as idiot resistant as possible. For experienced, knowledgeable, owners it's a darned good product. For them it is idiot resistant.

The problem is that brace height is a critical issue with a crossbow and your retailers don't know or don't care. Experienced crossbowers know it but newbies don't. A whole lot of unnecessary bad PR results for the manufacturer that should be prevented by the retailers. It's not likely ever to happen, though. Big box stores won't change their marketing practices to make things easier for a small market share made up of crossbows, and neither will archery shops who favor long bows.

So, the choice is whether it feels better to take a hit on the chin with unnecessary bad PR with newbie owners (and their friends, relatives of friends, and friends of relatives) or take a hit in the pocket book for the cost of a relatively modest accessory. The decision can be reached on exclusively an economic basis. It does seem to me though, that there should some element of moral obligation to the sport as well as to the consumer. It seems so odd that the consumer is otherwise so highly regarded and protected that this one area has this blind spot.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Funny how brace height is important to recurve and compound bows but some how overlooked when crossbows are involved.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I again state, for all the reasons that have been espoused in this excellent thread, a warning label should be attached to EVERY bow sold....this would solve for the pimpled kid at his first job....or the old geezer (hey, hey that is many of us :shock: :shock: :? ) trying to supplement his/her pension checks, or the big box retailer who does not care about the minutia of a small part of the sporting goods department and the archery store who have their own agenda's....let me show by way of an example:

Image[/URL]

....or we can continue to dialogue about the best way to build a mousetrap and what really is being said is:

Image[/URL]

....to me this is a very simple solution that would eliminate substantially all of the brace height issues by putting EVERYONE on NOTICE!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

xcaliber wrote:
awshucks wrote:
Many retailers want "acceseries" as these are usually where they can make the most money (profit).
Tom, gotta call bs on this one. How much does the store make on a $30 str aid vs a $1000 xbow?

This 'problem' only came about [aboot] w/ the advent of the Matrix/Micro series. "Usta" be able to do w/o one.

The big box retailers could give a hoot what happens when a $1k xbow leaves the store.

How many xbows does Excal sell a year? How many members are on this forum?

Most all of the difference are losers...... :mrgreen:
Dan, I have to disagree with that statement about the old models, once you put the Flemish on, you had to adjust brace height often for a spell, and a lot of folks chased that extra 10-15 FPS. Not looking to start an argument on this one, but in the long run I think it would save Excalibur a lot of trouble.
Used to be able to do without one, in my English reads you don't need one! Yes, you can change the brace height without a tool on the wide models, still much easier with the tool.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
strum

Post by strum »

Not to change the subject but ..this time last year we were all locked in a battle of the balls :mrgreen: its good to see these discussions staying civilized .
Im proud of all you guys.
but just so yall know mines bigger :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

That is a bold statement! :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Foxinthehenhaus

Post by Foxinthehenhaus »

strum wrote: but just so yall know mines bigger :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sometimes thats a sign of a more serious medical condition.

:evil

http://psychcentral.com/encyclopedia/20 ... D6iYvSQzdA
Boo

Post by Boo »

Foxinthehenhaus wrote:
strum wrote: but just so yall know mines bigger :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sometimes thats a sign of a more serious medical condition.

:evil

http://psychcentral.com/encyclopedia/20 ... D6iYvSQzdA
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

I bet Boos looking for that HOG pic :shock: ..... I think the stringing aid problem will solve itself as they become more popular . As someone said , anyone whose ever owned a xbow has one or two laying around
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only