2-7x or 3-9x? Opinions...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

racking up points

2-7x or 3-9x? Opinions...

Post by racking up points »

I'm looking for some feedback from shooters that extend their range and shoot out to 80-120y. I am setting up my Matrix 405 for long range shooting with an HHA optimizer. I am torn between a 2-7x33mm and a 3-9x40mm Leupold VXR.

Below is how I have broken it down but I don't have the experience at those ranges to know for sure, so maybe you can set me straight and give me your opinion.

2-7x
Pros
-lighter
-smaller and looks more suited for a crossbow
-better FOV
Cons
-less magnification

3-9x
Pros
-should gather more light
-should offer more precise aiming at long range
Cons
-heavier
-looks big on a crossbow
-less FOV

I am leaning toward a 2-7x33 VXR in duplex or ballistic Firedot. My major concern is that I won't be as precise at longer distances compared to the 3-9x. Is 7x enough magnification at say 120y?

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
bdog

Re: 2-7x or 3-9x? Opinions...

Post by bdog »

if it's just long range target shooting, I'd go with the higher power, you don't need fov for targets
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

4-12x w/AO. Go big or go home. :lol: Seriously target definition is your friend, and the AO is mandatory to run higher powers up close.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

2x7 ought to be very good out to 100+ yds on any deer - hog-elk. Bet you can see a hard ball wid it at 100yds. I can hit tennis balls at 60 yds wid a 4x n poor eye sight
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
SEW

Post by SEW »

I've used the 2-7 VXR some, like it, and would likely stay with it. However, this is a real toss up . I use a Duralyt 2-8/Optimizer and don't feel the scope is too big. I've never regretted more power.
racking up points

I should have mentioned that I will also hunt with this bow. SEW, those Duralyts offer the best of both worlds in terms of FOV, slightly more mag than the 2-7x. I have been watching for some used ones on eBay, but the resale market on quality scopes is thin...wonder why? :?:
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hey Derrick, here's the thing as I see it. I know you're BIG on less weight and size. The 3-9X40 is bigger and weighs slightly more of course. I honestly don't find it noticeable or obnoxious but I also haven't shot the 2-7×33 to be able to compare. I bought what I did because that was my best deal. Period. If you can wait until Boofest you can test mine out and see how it feels. If you're that concerned about the magnification and the longer ranges then go with more. I keep mine at about
3.5 × and I'm assuming I'd keep the 2-7 at around 3 power as well. Wish I could be more help buddy. :?:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
racking up points

paulaboutform wrote:Hey Derrick, here's the thing as I see it. I know you're BIG on less weight and size. The 3-9X40 is bigger and weighs slightly more of course. I honestly don't find it noticeable or obnoxious but I also haven't shot the 2-7×33 to be able to compare. I bought what I did because that was my best deal. Period. If you can wait until Boofest you can test mine out and see how it feels. If you're that concerned about the magnification and the longer ranges then go with more. I keep mine at about
3.5 × and I'm assuming I'd keep the 2-7 at around 3 power as well. Wish I could be more help buddy. :?:

Paul
Thanks, Paul. When you're shooting at those distances, is your magnification on 9 power? I had a Leupold Ultimate Slam in 3-9x40mm on a 330 and it looked fine to me, so the physical size isn't a huge factor, the extra weight is justifiable if it gives me an edge at say 100y.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I believe I did have it cranked up and if I recall correctly I also had to re zero. That's the other reason I sent my scope in and had the paralax setting changed. As soon as the new bow is ready I'll try to get out and test it. My goal in doing that is to be able to leave my scope at lower power for my closer range shooting and hunting then crank up to the high magnification for long range shooting while maintaining zero....we'll see.

Paul
flightattendant100

paulaboutform wrote:I believe I did have it cranked up and if I recall correctly I also had to re zero. That's the other reason I sent my scope in and had the paralax setting changed. As soon as the new bow is ready I'll try to get out and test it. My goal in doing that is to be able to leave my scope at lower power for my closer range shooting and hunting then crank up to the high magnification for long range shooting while maintaining zero....we'll see.

Paul
AO..... If you have the parallax changed , then it's off at longer ranges, or shorter ranges. AO, you set it to what you are shooting.
racking up points

Now parallax just adds another dimension to my conundrum! Is it really necessary to adjust the parallax? If we were on a rifle forum, 100y shots would be little chip shots. How important is parallax at say 100y? I know Paul found a difference around that yardage, is it common? AO scopes are a bit more pricey and I didn't see a VXR with adjustable parallax, is there such a thing?
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

flightattendant100 wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:I believe I did have it cranked up and if I recall correctly I also had to re zero. That's the other reason I sent my scope in and had the paralax setting changed. As soon as the new bow is ready I'll try to get out and test it. My goal in doing that is to be able to leave my scope at lower power for my closer range shooting and hunting then crank up to the high magnification for long range shooting while maintaining zero....we'll see.

Paul
AO..... If you have the parallax changed , then it's off at longer ranges, or shorter ranges. AO, you set it to what you are shooting.
What does 'AO' mean? .....the Leupold tech told me that changing the paralax setting from 150yards to 50yards would allow me to shoot higher magnification at closer yardages without the distortion being as evident. Also, with the paralax setting closer it wouldn't be as noticeable at the further yardages. That's just what I was told by the Luepold guy??? We'll see when I'm actually able to get out and check the longer ranges.

Paul
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Paul
.....oops, the dreaded double click.

Paul
Normous

Post by Normous »

"AO" stands for Adjustable Objective.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
flightattendant100

paulaboutform wrote:

Paul
What does 'AO' mean? .....the Leupold tech told me that changing the paralax setting from 150yards to 50yards would allow me to shoot higher magnification at closer yardages without the distortion being as evident. Also, with the paralax setting closer it wouldn't be as noticeable at the further yardages. That's just what I was told by the Luepold guy??? We'll see when I'm actually able to get out and check the longer ranges.

Paul
AO... Adjustable Objective. Leipold a adjust from under 25yrds to infinity. You want to shoot 25 yards adjust it to that, you want to shoot it 100 yards , adjust it to that .