Brace Height

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SLP82

Brace Height

Post by SLP82 »

Ok, so I have been reading up on Excalibur on here, and I have seen multiple posts in multiple topics talking about "brace height" and making sure it is set up correctly. What is the deal with that? Please excuse my ignorance as I am new to all of this and still learning.
Excalibur Matrix Grizzly
Diablo's w/Boltcutters
xcaliber

Re: Brace Height

Post by xcaliber »

All models have their brace heights defined by either a line scribed in the rail, or a certain distance from the bumpers. That distance changes as the string stretches, and must be reset periodically. It is something that is common with all recurve bows, compound bows require tuning, which is essentially the same on a different scale. May sound difficult, and troublesome, but it's not!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
SLP82

Post by SLP82 »

So basically if I am understanding this right, if the string were to stretch, and you did not adjust it properly, then firing it over and over would be a slighter version of almost dry firing it or at least causing the same stress on the limbs, if to a slighter degree.... correct?
Excalibur Matrix Grizzly
Diablo's w/Boltcutters
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Wouldn't go quite that far, it would maybe tear up your string or cut your bumpers for sure.

If in USA, just call Danny M and get another string like you have [spare] and a str aid............he's got some heavy duty str aids
"Eze 18:21"
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

SLP82 wrote:So basically if I am understanding this right, if the string were to stretch, and you did not adjust it properly, then firing it over and over would be a slighter version of almost dry firing it or at least causing the same stress on the limbs, if to a slighter degree.... correct?
Shooting with a "too low" brace height does place added stress on limbs and limb tips. If brace height is "too high" you will loose a few fps in speed. The speed loss is not damaging to anything.
You will need a stringing aid. Yes, Danny Miller sells a great one. Danny also makes the string that comes on Excal bows, so getting a spare, it can be exactly like what is on your bow...at a very reasonable cost.
SLP82

Post by SLP82 »

flightattendant100 wrote: Shooting with a "too low" brace height does place added stress on limbs and limb tips. If brace height is "too high" you will loose a few fps in speed. The speed loss is not damaging to anything.
You will need a stringing aid. Yes, Danny Miller sells a great one. Danny also makes the string that comes on Excal bows, so getting a spare, it can be exactly like what is on your bow...at a very reasonable cost.
I had a feeling it would put stress on the limbs similar to dry firing it, just maybe not to that extent. Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah I definitely need to give him a call... I need to pick up multiple things from him, as I know I want a back up string before I ever go hunting. The whole point of getting a recurve crossbow was so that if something went wrong during the hunt (broke string, etc) I could fix it in the field and not lose out on the whole weekend, like if you bent a cam on a compound. So stringing aid, extra string, and his buffers. Anything else? lol
Excalibur Matrix Grizzly
Diablo's w/Boltcutters
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

SLP82 wrote:
flightattendant100 wrote: Shooting with a "too low" brace height does place added stress on limbs and limb tips. If brace height is "too high" you will loose a few fps in speed. The speed loss is not damaging to anything.
I had a feeling it would put stress on the limbs similar to dry firing it, just maybe not to that extent. Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah I definitely need to give him a call... I need to pick up multiple things from him, as I know I want a back up string before I ever go hunting. The whole point of getting a recurve crossbow was so that if something went wrong during the hunt (broke string, etc) I could fix it in the field and not lose out on the whole weekend, like if you bent a cam on a compound. So stringing aid, extra string, and his buffers. Anything else? lol
Experience........ :mrgreen:
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Pre stretch/ creep / pre wax your replacement / backup string (shoot to break it in so to speak). so it is as close to ready as possible when the need arises to put it into use in the field.

I use 50 shoots as my break in number then revert back to my original.
I also place a single paper clip through both end loops of the backup string at the time of removal to ensure the twist which corresponds to my proper brace height is locked in.
Picked the paper clip tip up from Boo when he sent me one off his preset custom strings.
SLP82

Post by SLP82 »

colouredchameleon wrote:Pre stretch/ creep / pre wax your replacement / backup string (shoot to break it in so to speak). so it is as close to ready as possible when the need arises to put it into use in the field.

I use 50 shoots as my break in number then revert back to my original.
I also place a single paper clip through both end loops of the backup string at the time of removal to ensure the twist which corresponds to my proper brace height is locked in.
Picked the paper clip tip up from Boo when he sent me one off his preset custom strings.
Thank you for the tips. I will make sure to do all that. There is actually a LOT more to a crossbow than I realized. I think there is a misconception out there that recurve crossbows are very simplistic, require almost no maintenance, and there is nothing to wear out on them, except maybe the string. I didn't realize they must have brace height properly set and occasionally adjusted, string has to be twisted to the right amount, stretched, waxed, and so on. I have a lot to learn... but it is fun learning a new sport/hobby. Thank you again!
Excalibur Matrix Grizzly
Diablo's w/Boltcutters
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Setting/maintaining b-height is no biggie... you can use your rope cocker w/ str aid, only takes a few seconds. If you get a str aid w/ the plastic sleeve on it, your choice to remove it or keep sliding it out of the way for the hooks on rope cocker....I '86' them.... :mrgreen:

Look for the vid [on left side] that shows you how to un-cock w/ rope cocker.....they 'go down' a lot easier than you would think.... :mrgreen: