Half moon or flat nock?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SLP82

Half moon or flat nock?

Post by SLP82 »

Just as the title says... do you guys use flat nocks or half moon? Any known advantages one had over the other (accuracy?)?
Excalibur Matrix Grizzly
Diablo's w/Boltcutters
Doe Master
Site Admin

Re: Half moon or flat nock?

Post by Doe Master »

Flat nock .
You never have to think about which vane is down . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Accuracy is worse for me with a moon. Excals are designed for a flat nock so stick with that.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

excaliburs use flat nocks
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

BrotherRon wrote:excaliburs use flat nocks
Here's why..... :mrgreen: If your xbow has claws [hold the string] flip up into the rail....flat nocks. If they flip down into the rail, half moon.

The 'theory' is the 'up-flippers', the string slides down onto the rail, the 'down-flippers' it rides up a bit..... :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
wabi

Post by wabi »

Flat nock, but always be sure it's tight against the string before you pull the trigger. :wink:
wabi
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

awshucks wrote:
BrotherRon wrote:excaliburs use flat nocks
Here's why..... :mrgreen: If your xbow has claws [hold the string] flip up into the rail....flat nocks. If they flip down into the rail, half moon.

The 'theory' is the 'up-flippers', the string slides down onto the rail, the 'down-flippers' it rides up a bit..... :mrgreen:
Also some bows (like the Excals) are designed for the string to ride against the rail with down pressure. These can use a flat nock. Other bows have almost no down pressure on the string. They have a higher chance of slipping off the arrow so a moon or capture nock.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

I guess I be the odd man out as I use flat nocks but have used moon knocks before with never a problem. Just made sure cock feather or vain was down in the rail- Funny thing is the new bow-tech offspring recommends using moon nocks not flat nocks as yet you have an Excal stock rail and trigger on that bow with over head clam or claws like any other excal crossbow....
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

DaveShooter wrote:I guess I be the odd man out as I use flat nocks but have used moon knocks before with never a problem. Just made sure cock feather or vain was down in the rail- Funny thing is the new bow-tech offspring recommends using moon nocks not flat nocks as yet you have an Excal stock rail and trigger on that bow with over head clam or claws like any other excal crossbow....
Is the string down pressure the same as on other Excals? Even with the different limbs and cams?
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

nchunterkw wrote:
DaveShooter wrote:I guess I be the odd man out as I use flat nocks but have used moon knocks before with never a problem. Just made sure cock feather or vain was down in the rail- Funny thing is the new bow-tech offspring recommends using moon nocks not flat nocks as yet you have an Excal stock rail and trigger on that bow with over head clam or claws like any other excal crossbow....
Is the string down pressure the same as on other Excals? Even with the different limbs and cams?
I guess it is not sure but if you look at the Offspring instruction Manual it says Moon nocks- The stock is what is on the Matrix series bow- Same trigger mech as the Matrix series bows-etc.... I'd check in with Danny Miller or Peter just to be safe if in doubt..... :D
galamb

Post by galamb »

After a few partial dry fires with plastic flat nocks and thinner flemish strings I switched to moon nocks.

That was a good few years back and have not had another issue with either partial dry fires or accuracy.

I think it is more personal choice than any real advantage (one vs the other).

Accuracy? you decide - this is a 17 yard shot with a moon nock, long vanes - everything the "glossy ad's" tell you put you at a disadvantage...

(this "chip" was not "hunted" - it was shot under the protection of property regulations in Ontario)
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

galamb wrote:After a few partial dry fires with plastic flat nocks and thinner flemish strings I switched to moon nocks.

That was a good few years back and have not had another issue with either partial dry fires or accuracy.

I think it is more personal choice than any real advantage (one vs the other).

Accuracy? you decide - this is a 17 yard shot with a moon nock, long vanes - everything the "glossy ad's" tell you put you at a disadvantage...

(this "chip" was not "hunted" - it was shot under the protection of property regulations in Ontario)
Your shooting my arrows-lol- Love those 2219 mag eastons- Nice shot- A friend of mine said His groups tightened up after shooting moon nocks with His Excal.....