FAA Toxic
No votes
Magnus
No votes

Total votes: 16

SEW

Re: Best Broadhead???

Post by SEW »

Your question is very nicely worded. However, so many factors are personal. Some BHs have extreme long range accuracy (FOC) , some are extremely durable, others are one use only (FOCs - get slightly out of line after a kill often), some are expensive, some work better on thin skinned animals, others are tough and cut easily on thicker skinned animals(Boltcutters, Thunderheads, etc), some require more energy (swing around - front opening expandibles - FOCs, SFs), etc....
A M310,330 hog hunting would require a different BH than a M405 hunting White Tail deer. You can always use a low energy requiring BH with a high energy bow , but a high energy requiring BH(FOC) with a low energy bow, and especially on thicker skinned animal could result in a disaster.
So, type of bow, animal, range/accuracy requirements, cost, reusability, etc, all come into play.
I've been very pleased with FOC, SF, Thunderheads. I like BIG cuts! My xbows are in the higher energy arena.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I have been using my fixed blade Coyote broadheads for years with my compound bow and last year with my M310.
I will try the 125 grn RamCats I won and see how they work with my M330.

Ron.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I've killed a truck load of critter's with Spitfire's!! :D
And they work fine for me out of my "low energy" bow, a Vixen. My Vixen shoots 281fps & i've had no problem with them opening...killed a few with my old Horton at a blistering 240fps. :mrgreen:
Slick tricks are my go to fixed head. :)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I vote rocket hammerhead 3 blade 2" cut.
This year I'll shoot the dead ringer trauma 3 1/8"
Two blade. I'll report back later.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
SLP82

Post by SLP82 »

Ok guys because I was missing some of the ones yall liked the most I added them but it reset the polls, so everybody can vote once again.
Excalibur Matrix Grizzly
Diablo's w/Boltcutters
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

SLP82 - re-read SEW's post. Many on here don't have just one favorite BH. Too much depends on what you are hunting. I like and use Sick Tricks, Montecs, Magnus Stingers and am trying Ramcats this year.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
SLP82

Post by SLP82 »

SEW wrote:Your question is very nicely worded. However, so many factors are personal. Some BHs have extreme long range accuracy (FOC) , some are extremely durable, others are one use only (FOCs - get slightly out of line after a kill often), some are expensive, some work better on thin skinned animals, others are tough and cut easily on thicker skinned animals(Boltcutters, Thunderheads, etc), some require more energy (swing around - front opening expandibles - FOCs, SFs), etc....
A M310,330 hog hunting would require a different BH than a M405 hunting White Tail deer. You can always use a low energy requiring BH with a high energy bow , but a high energy requiring BH(FOC) with a low energy bow, and especially on thicker skinned animal could result in a disaster.
So, type of bow, animal, range/accuracy requirements, cost, reusability, etc, all come into play.
I've been very pleased with FOC, SF, Thunderheads. I like BIG cuts! My xbows are in the higher energy arena.
You make a very valid point. I don't think there is a "one size fits all"... there might be a "this one size fits best", but not all. Honestly I think while I was doing my research and the choices I put up there, were based more on a tough, reusable broad head. With the exception of the hypodermic and toxic. Those two were added because I heard they make the "biggest cuts". Everything else was based more on them being able to smash through bone, and possibly hit a tree, and still be usable afterwards. I plan to shoot them all eventually. I am lucky enough to have a couple other friends whom have the same taste as me and have crossbows and Ill bet I can get them to pitch in on the broad heads and we each get 1 out of a pack to where we can try them all.
Excalibur Matrix Grizzly
Diablo's w/Boltcutters
strum

Post by strum »

If I had only one to choose from then its Slick Tricks for me.
Ive had good flight and killed with Boltcutters , Spitfires, Wasps, Thunderheads, Muzzys. I cant get Thunder heads to fly well in my Xbows .
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

newbie wrote:Best broadheads are the ones you have confidence in, from testing the head yourself. Everyone will have their own opinion due to personal experience.
Lots of truth right here!!

FOC's and Swhackers right here and in that order.

Sorry can't vote as the best to me are not listed.

Brian
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
SLP82

Post by SLP82 »

Hey did y'all know that Magnus broadheads have a lifetime, no questions asked warranty? Not a bad deal... I'm definitely going to have to get at least one set.

http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/lifetime-guarantee/
Excalibur Matrix Grizzly
Diablo's w/Boltcutters
galamb

Post by galamb »

I would echo many of the comments here.

I likewise didn't vote because there is just not enough information in your question.

The "best broadhead" for my 51 lb draw vertical recurve is way different than the best broadhead (that I have currently found after testing about 2 dozen) for my Vixen II.

And some of the "best broadheads" for say a 405 will not even properly deploy with my Vix II which has less than half of the KE the 405 does on impact.

So my "current" best broadhead is an Axe Archery Battle Axe which is a hybrid - small fixed front blade (2 blade) with two large rear deploying mechanical blades.

If you are hitting your target with 90 pounds of KE pretty much any broadhead on the market will pass through - if you are hitting with 40 or less, your choice becomes considerably more important.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

These are what i have on hand to Hunt wid. Strikers, Swhackers,Hammerheads,Spitfires,HellRazors,Snuffers 125, & Carbon Expess Torrid SS. I need to pickup anudder half dz. Stingers
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....hmmmm...there should be an entry spot for "other!"

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
jparchery

Post by jparchery »