cant decide

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bobcat

cant decide

Post by bobcat »

im getting a mico......... that i have decided (still not sure camo or black lol)

what i cant seem to make up my mind on is arrows and broadheads. this will be a hunting bow but i want to be as accurate and ethical as possible but still wont be shooting past 40 yards.
so i can stay with the stock quills and see if they work fine for me, or i see alot of guys recommending zombie slayers? the shortest i see them premade is 18 in? so at 9.1 gpi and 18 gr for the fetching with a 80 gr insert that puts that arrow at around 262. with 125 gr tip that would give me a 387 gr hunting arrow if im doing my math right....

the money seems about the same. only difference would be the place im buying the bow gives a 10% discount on all accessories bought at the time you buy the bow.

so would the 18 in zombies be better than the 16.5 quill? i dont want to get into cutting my own or having to have them custom done. i would just like to be able to buy a dozen or half dozen ready to go when ever i need them. which sways me back toward the quills.

also ....luminocs? worth it? do they make your poi move or affect arrow flight? in other words do you have to shoot them all the time to get same poi on practice arrows as hunting arrows?

broadheads...... on the fence between rage x bow/ spitfires/ or a good small fixed blade

these are the things a future crossbow hunter/shooter lies awake at night thinking about while slowly getting one overtime shift at a time closer to an excalibur....
xcaliber

Re: cant decide

Post by xcaliber »

Tough choices indeed. I would get a dozen of whatever you feel comfortable with. If you get Quill's, go with 125 grain heads, or heavier, you will be good to go. I like Zombie Slayer's personally, but can cut, and build my own.
Good luck with the new bow.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bubba

Post by bubba »

First off Welcome to the forum.. The stock quills that come with your package i think will be fine out to your forty yard limit, Saying that i would never shoot a 18" arrow from your 335. In fact i would get myself a six pack or a doz custom made arrows cut down and made to your specific needs, there are some great makers of arrows here on the forum, or as i do and a lot of others do, call Jerry at South Shore Archery # 813-545-0754, he can build you some super fine customs cut and dressed to your specs, a six pack for about 55 dollars, and never look back.. As far as broad heads goes the only one that you mentioned that i would consider would be the Spitfire in 100 or 125 grain, i personally shoot Swhackers and Slick Tricks. And as always if you have questions or concerns, Just ask away this forum and its members are here to help... Good Luck...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
deerskinner

Post by deerskinner »

Welcome ! Great people on here! Ron! :D
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

has anyone shot the quills with the 170 gr nap spitfires?
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Bobcat, that is a huge head that does massive damage, but it also requires a lot of force to deploy. I would seriously recommend Spitfires, or the 150 grain Bolt Cutters if you want the heavy head. I have seen the damage, and look at them often, but then think about the complete pass thru performance of cheaper, fixed blade heads like Thunder Heads. The point is to make them dead fast, and provide a trail to follow when needed. Here is a 215# buck shot with a Vortex using a Thunderhead at 100 grains, total weight 390. The buck died within eye sight.

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... 0.jpg.html]Image

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... o.jpg.html]Image
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

i didnt realize it would take more force to deploy a 170gr spitfire than a 125 or 100 spitfire. the cutting dia is smaller on the 170.

the quills are 250 so with the 170 the total weight would be 420. is that too heavy for a micro? i been reading alot about heavier arrows being better for hunting and the whole weight forward thing.

a quill with a bolt cutter is 400 right? but are cut on contact.....

thanks for the input. lord knows i need all the help i can get. :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Don't get me wrong, I still deek around with mechanical heads. My best advice is a heavy fixed blade to use on the stock arrow. The reason is a light weight aluminum insert is stock on the Quills. Fixed heads do not fail in the field, and these days the majority of the good ones are field point accurate within 40 yards. Try a few, start with the 150 grain field points, and get some 125's Then look for a broadhead that matches the best performing weight. If you want custom arrows that offer more flexibility, get them after YOU figure out what you like, and the bow likes.
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

ya i will have to play around and see what it likes. can the alum inserts in the quills be removed and replaced with brass?