Broadhead Target

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shadytree

Broadhead Target

Post by Shadytree »

I have a cheap Cabelas target that is really hard to pull arrows from. Is there a good broadhead target that you can pull broadhead arrows from with relative ease? Do I need to get an arrow puller?
Thanks.
nchunterkw

Re: Broadhead Target

Post by nchunterkw »

Short answer - no
But Rinehart makes good targets that will stand up the abuse an Excal bow will put on a target. I suggest the 18:1.

Do not shoot a FP tipped arrow into a broadhead target. The friction from stopping the arrow actually "melts" the target material and holds the arrow like a vise, and ther are no cuts along the channel to relieve pressure if you will. Use a bag target for FPs (suggest the Yellowjacket Xbow FP target) and a BH target for BHs.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

X2 on 18-1. After the w/e call Dnny Miller for his arrow puller, he's gone to Boofest.
"Eze 18:21"
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

My first 18/1 Rinehart lasted almost 3 years. Just bought another one and will buy again when this one gets shot out. Removal can be made easier by using an arrow lube sparingly. I spray some Jig a loo on a cloth, wipe on and wipe off. All my arrows are removed by hand. Avoid any graphics on your arrow as it may smear them.Welcome to the forum.
Hank
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Dang double post. :evil: Sorry :roll:
Hank
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

18-1 good target for BH.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

I have the Blob BH target and it's incredible. It's heavy but shooting at it for 3 or 4 years it's still going almost like new.

Just don't shoot FP's into it.

And its not bad at all to pull from either.

Best of luck

Brian
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
Big Woods

Post by Big Woods »

I've had the 18:1 and still have the blob. The 18:1 lasted about 6 months. The blob will last at least 5x longer than the 18:1
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

is there a risk of your replaceable blades coming off when you remove a BH
from the blob ??

a fixed broadhead with replaceable blades, not the mechanical opening kind...

and do I understand right that arrow removal with broadhead is easy using the blob ??

I have an 18/1 and it can be tricky at times to remove a BH even with a DM arra puller.

thanks 8)
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

Big Woods wrote:I've had the 18:1 and still have the blob. The 18:1 lasted about 6 months. The blob will last at least 5x longer than the 18:1
i have the bigger rinehart and its a great broadhead target. i use to shoot field points with it all the time and they loosen up over time but prefer bag targets for long sessions. the trick is to lube the arrow up and pull them soon as possible. the self healing nature of the rinehart target material clings to the arrow shaft especially if you wait too long or if its hot out.read a comment that the Blob target has fiberglass abbrasives in it that can wear down an arrow shaft. do you have issues with your Blob wearing on arrow shafts? seem to remember someone a while back took measurements to confirm it happened to them but never tried one myself.
Shadytree

Post by Shadytree »

I think I will pick up the 18-1. Thanks for everyones input.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

nchunterkw wrote:Short answer - no
But Rinehart makes good targets that will stand up the abuse an Excal bow will put on a target. I suggest the 18:1.

Do not shoot a FP tipped arrow into a broadhead target. The friction from stopping the arrow actually "melts" the target material and holds the arrow like a vise, and ther are no cuts along the channel to relieve pressure if you will. Use a bag target for FPs (suggest the Yellowjacket Xbow FP target) and a BH target for BHs.
Sounds like the voice of experience here! :lol: :lol: I know I have done some digging! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

I have never found a good broadhead target that does not beat the heck out of the expensive 18 in 1. I got a cheap Walmart target and I went to my local recycle depot and got Styrofoam that I think they insulate houses with about 8 inchs thick. I put the target on a work table and Styrofoam about six inchs behind it. Broadheads blow right through the cheap target and end up in the Styrofoam. Cheap and easy. That's what I do for broadheads. But I only shoot enough broadheads to line up and keep lined up during hunting season. I shoot mechanical broadheads and it does not damage them a bit. Sharped my Rages and good to go.
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

foofoo wrote:
Big Woods wrote:I've had the 18:1 and still have the blob. The 18:1 lasted about 6 months. The blob will last at least 5x longer than the 18:1
i have the bigger rinehart and its a great broadhead target. i use to shoot field points with it all the time and they loosen up over time but prefer bag targets for long sessions. the trick is to lube the arrow up and pull them soon as possible. the self healing nature of the rinehart target material clings to the arrow shaft especially if you wait too long or if its hot out.read a comment that the Blob target has fiberglass abbrasives in it that can wear down an arrow shaft. do you have issues with your Blob wearing on arrow shafts? seem to remember someone a while back took measurements to confirm it happened to them but never tried one myself.
Foofoo. You are correct about that. I shot the same arrow at my Blob to see if it was true and yes it did wear on the shaft. Is was a very very small amount but it did. I don't shoot arrows that many times that is caused the wearing away of the shaft. Basically it's for sight in and then hunt. Not just for fun. So to be totally honest yes it can wear on a shaft but that was after a bunch of shooting the same one into it and I just don't even think about it anymore as to just ignore it.

My arrows get more damage after going through Bambi than that target does.

Brian

For me it is so negligible to not even cause me any concern at all. After all that, I still killed a deer with the same shaft that showed some minor wear. Oh and it NEVER CAUSED ANY ACCURACY ISSUES AT ALL.
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
chuckinator

Post by chuckinator »

I just ordered the Rinehart Woodland Hunter blemish for $69. I didn't hear anyone mention it so I hope it's ok. I'll do a follow up and post.
"Adapt, Overcome and Prevail"