Antlerless Clarification

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RichardS

Antlerless Clarification

Post by RichardS »

I have had this conversation with a few friends and have gotten mixed responses so I figured I would ask you guys.

I was under the impression, If I bought a deer tag and got drawn for an antlerless validation sticker that my tag is good for a buck or a doe. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance!
-Richard-
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

you are correct RichardS. A deer tag allows for an antlered deer ( 3inches or better) a doe tag just means you can have your pick,and a buck does not need to have wood 3 inches or better ( I hope it does though :wink: )

Harry
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
buckmark

Post by buckmark »

They are valid for either bucks or does unless something has changed that I haven't heard of. I have always liked the idea of doe only tags because if you want to control the deer population you must control the does and I know alot of doe tags that end up on bucks. Just my 2 cents.
"God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me."
Digger

Post by Digger »

Read your antlerless tag good for WMU that you state when you apply for the tag. mines for 69A.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I phoned MNR this morning for clarification on this because I could not find the answer in the Regs. I was told that if you hold an antlerless tag it is good for a buck, doe or fawn.

That said, I got a second tag this morning for WMU 87 and in the Regs is states "Antlerless Only", so I'm assuming that means nothing with over 3 inches of antler. I'll have to clarify that one too.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

As was stated above, for your primary tag it is antlered deer only unless you applied for and got an antlerless validation sticker. If you have that sticker anything goes in that specific WMU only....and your tag is still good for an antlered deer only in all other WMU's.

For the ADDITIONAL tags, some are good for both antlered or antlerless, some are antlerless only depending on WMU. They are good ONLY for the WMU you buy it for. If it's in a WMU where either antlered or antlerless is allowed, then anything goes. If it's antlerless only then the 3" rule applies.

Hope this helps,

Mike
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

Thanks for clearing that up guys. I was sure that was the case, but wanted to make sure.
-Richard-
Bronco

Post by Bronco »

There are circomstances that it may be different than what some above have posted. In the area for Lanark county the additional tags state Anterless Deer only so make sure doesnt just state that. So make sure when the vaidation tag comes it doesnt say ONLY on it, Just my drop in the ocean