Target for Mechanical Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

WNYBILL

Target for Mechanical Broadheads

Post by WNYBILL »

Please explain what target and the procedure for removing mechanical broadheads without ruining them. I use Spitfires and after looking them over to see how they work, I just have to believe you will ruin the blades when you try to pull it out. Do you push them on through and remove the head? Or do you get the practice head or do you epoxy the blades down? Hate the idea of ruining a $10.00 head and it looks to me as if they are a "one-time-use" item. (I realize you can replace the blades) Can you use the practice head or epoxied head on a bag type target? or does it have to be some type of foam?

Bill
Normous

Re: Target for Mechanical Broadheads

Post by Normous »

I feel it is best to sacrifice one mechanical to determine your critical POI by gluing the blades inside the head. You can also use small diameter wire to wire the mechanical shut and remove later for use.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Spitfire makes practice (blades) there inexpensive and truely fly the same as a real one i use them all the time. You just put them in instead of real blades. Because of the angle of spitfire offset blade there not foam target friendly the real blades will be toast. For the price you pay for the spitfire dont know why they cant throw em in the box!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Just checked amazons got 9 blades enough for 3 arrows for 15.99
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

WNYBILL wrote:Please explain what target and the procedure for removing mechanical broadheads without ruining them. I use Spitfires and after looking them over to see how they work, I just have to believe you will ruin the blades when you try to pull it out. Do you push them on through and remove the head? Or do you get the practice head or do you epoxy the blades down? Hate the idea of ruining a $10.00 head and it looks to me as if they are a "one-time-use" item. (I realize you can replace the blades) Can you use the practice head or epoxied head on a bag type target? or does it have to be some type of foam?

Bill
I have used spitfires for most of my 14+years of crossbow use. in the early years I trashed new hunting heads but have learned that the practice spitfire is just as good and cheaper to shoot than the real McCoy. and now I shoot only the practice OR even just same grain target tips because my experience has showed me very little if any difference in the flight between the 3. I switch to the broadhead when season gets here, no resighting needed. I know some people frown on this but to each his own, I do what works for me
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
bubba

Post by bubba »

I would also get the practice head. i use to shoot them for years, it's a very good broad head. And i also think it would be nice if they included a practice head... But it is what it is. And unlike the previous post of field points flying and hitting the same p.o.i. I have never yet been able to say that .. A few have come close at 20 to 30 yards, But past that really tells the tale. Good luck..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

What he said about PRACTICE BLADES.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
WNYBILL

Post by WNYBILL »

OK, sounds like I get the practice point or sacrifice a point. Second part of my question, can I use a regular bag target for the practice and/or altered point? Or do I need to get a foam target?
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

A bag target will work with the practice blades tears it up a little more . Some times gets stuck in material. A block is a better choice.my field points really fly just like spitfires inside 40 yards i hardly use the practice heads any more. Hopefully you will discover this also spitfires the bomb.if you want to save major $ cabellas lazer strike 2 125 crossbow really good n 20.00 for 3 . O ring opening still dependable