Vortex Viper XBR Deal: Now Rings?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shadytree

Vortex Viper XBR Deal: Now Rings?

Post by Shadytree »

I decided that the Vortex XBR scopes on Amazon at $250 were too good of a deal to pass up. The question now is, what rings? I'd love to hear what other people shooting this scope found works. I would rather avoid the cantilevered ring set up, but if it must be...
Thanks in advance.
bubba

Re: Vortex Viper XBR Deal: Now Rings?

Post by bubba »

Is there some thing about a vortex that makes it different from any other scope to mount? Get some med high 30mm rings on Amazon for 25.00 dollars, and slap it on...... Oh congrats on the scope i hear it's a winner...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Shadytree

Post by Shadytree »

Vortex recommends cantilevered rings due to long eye relief.
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

I have the XBR on my 405 and use normal 30 mm rings just as Bubba said - works fine.

I think the cantilever rings are a scam to suck another $100-150 out of your pocket.

Eye relief seems fine for me and the last 4 deer didn't notice.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
bubba

Post by bubba »

There ya go.. Amazon ..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Shadytree

Post by Shadytree »

Thanks!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Leupold makes their rifleman rings in30 mm. There are two styles, a verticlely split and a trad. horizontally split model. They are great rings for a bargain price and lightweight as well.
Shadytree

Post by Shadytree »

I'm going to put on Burris Signature Zees, so I can cant the scope a bit.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

flightattendant100 wrote:Leupold makes their rifleman rings in30 mm. There are two styles, a verticlely split and a trad. horizontally split model. They are great rings for a bargain price and lightweight as well.
I have had trouble finding the Leupold Rifleman horizontally split rings in 30mm. I don't like the vertical split rings because they obscure my target turrets. Paul, if you happen across any, shoot me the link, please! :D
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
flightattendant100

racking up points wrote:
flightattendant100 wrote:Leupold makes their rifleman rings in30 mm. There are two styles, a verticlely split and a trad. horizontally split model. They are great rings for a bargain price and lightweight as well.
I have had trouble finding the Leupold Rifleman horizontally split rings in 30mm. I don't like the vertical split rings because they obscure my target turrets. Paul, if you happen across any, shoot me the link, please! :D
You bet
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Shadytree wrote:I'm going to put on Burris Signature Zees, so I can cant the scope a bit.
Can you educate me on this statement? I've always put a plumbers torpedo level on my rail/riser and plumbed the vert hair to a line hanging at 20-30 yds....
"Eze 18:21"
flightattendant100

awshucks wrote:
Shadytree wrote:I'm going to put on Burris Signature Zees, so I can cant the scope a bit.
Can you educate me on this statement? I've always put a plumbers torpedo level on my rail/riser and plumbed the vert hair to a line hanging at 20-30 yds....
I have used the signature rings to help get one sighted in if I had run out of adjustment.( you can use the "offset inserts" to manipulate the position of the scope to gain adjustment) works like shims but neater and less hassle.they also shouldn't mar a scope tube .
Shadytree

Post by Shadytree »

awshucks wrote:
You can get up to a 20moa rise out of the stock inserts that come with the rings. That way you can dial out a bit further with the elevation turret (if you're into those things). The reticle is still set plumb, just as you have done. But the scope points slightly down in relation to the crossbow so that you can get more useable elevation travel (up).
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I got one just because they are great optics for cheap optics price, I don't know what I will do with it yet but I got it. I won't be using it on my crossbows as I have better crossbow scope for the kind of hunting I do, but all you needed was a Medium Height 30mm ring. I have all 30mm tubes on my bows and prefer the Hawke rings from Wyvern, way strong, aluminum construction, and less than 17 bucks for med, or high,,,,,,, I may buy a 405 for long range target shooting and mount mine on it, I just have no use for any crossbow scope to hunt inside 60 yards with this much power and size. I like to keep em lighter smaller and lower power for the use of the 40 50 and 60 yard chevrons, I zero at 30 and use one aiming point out to 35 yards. But don't know how anyone can pass up a scope of this quality for this kind of price,,,,, I shoulda bought 2,,,, I'll find something to put em on!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!