2117-Arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DaveShooter

2117-Arrows

Post by DaveShooter »

Anyone shooting these as my bows love'em. Total grain weight I'm shooting is 387 that includes 100 grain field point @ 20 inches. Gonna shoot them tomorrow out of my Matrix 380 to see if it likes them as well as my Exo-mag does. I cut these 2117 down a year or more ago as I use to use them with my verticle bows.
From what I understand after talking with Peter yesterday that was the arrow Excal use to use or recommend with their crossbows.
longbow joe

Re: 2117-Arrows

Post by longbow joe »

For the 380 there a little light in spine 2216 is next common spine 2219 is actually the one that is "recomended" most and very commonly available. Nowadays
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

I use a 20" 2216 in my Matrix 380 and used the same arrow in my Exomax with excellent results. Just this weekend I cut a few of my 20" 2216 arrows down to 19" so the broadhead would not extend past the foot stirrup and prevent me from resting the bow on my tree stand platform while hunting. The 20" 2216 arrow with plastic flat nock, aluminum front insert and three blazers for fletching and 100 gr broadhead/field tip complete weighs 400 gr. The 19" 2216 with same setup weighs 388gr complete. I shot these 19" up north this weekend and they were just as accurate as the 20" but noticeably faster. Accuracy is one hole shot to shot using a rest at 20- 35 yds. In fact I had to resight my bow with the 19" I am now 1 inch high at 20yds and right on the one inch spot at 35 yds using my first (primary) cross hair for both distances. Very happy with this combination.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Gotta love the time tested alluminum arrow . These guys say they went to carbon because metal bends i think the industrys got em brain washed. I know you can shoot a carbon into a wall yada yada. But i shoot at my bag n block rarely bend one n if i do oh well there cheap. Then theres the carbons straiter speech how much straiter do you really need to shoot a buck or boar at 30 yards. I rarely have an insert pop off a metal shaft carbons inserts drop like flys. .oh well we will keep our cheap heavy metal a secret
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Tom

Post by Tom »

DaveShooter, 2117 was the orginal sizing for the shafts. Easton Arrows stopped making that size (21/64dia,17 wall thickness) and switched to 2216 arrows (22/64dia,16 wall thickness). If I remember correctly, the weight per inch is the same for the two.

I found no difference in preformance between the two shafts.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Tom wrote:DaveShooter, 2117 was the orginal sizing for the shafts. Easton Arrows stopped making that size (21/64dia,17 wall thickness) and switched to 2216 arrows (22/64dia,16 wall thickness). If I remember correctly, the weight per inch is the same for the two.

I found no difference in preformance between the two shafts.

Tom
X2 on that Tom- My 380 shot very good groups with this set up 2117 today.
I'v also heard about using the 2216. I did have some shifting or up an down movement in my 380 stock easy fix as I took out alum barrel and placed double stick tape and some small foam rubber shims to fill up space between barrel an stock. Came out perfect as no shift or movement now what so ever.... :D
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

longbow joe wrote:Gotta love the time tested alluminum arrow . These guys say they went to carbon because metal bends i think the industrys got em brain washed. I know you can shoot a carbon into a wall yada yada. But i shoot at my bag n block rarely bend one n if i do oh well there cheap. Then theres the carbons straiter speech how much straiter do you really need to shoot a buck or boar at 30 yards. I rarely have an insert pop off a metal shaft carbons inserts drop like flys. .oh well we will keep our cheap heavy metal a secret
X2 to the love of the time tested allum arrows - Hey my 380 matrix shot these puppies just fine as I have as stated the PDP Alum weighted flat knocks @ 21 grains and reg alum inserts in the front of theses arrows at a total grain weight of 388 with 100 grain FP- Heck Excal says to use a 350 min arrow in all there crossbows except the vixen 2 which is 325 gr weight min- All in all worked out fine and didn't blow a limb or limb tip- :D
wabi

Post by wabi »

longbow joe wrote:Gotta love the time tested alluminum arrow . These guys say they went to carbon because metal bends i think the industrys got em brain washed. I know you can shoot a carbon into a wall yada yada. But i shoot at my bag n block rarely bend one n if i do oh well there cheap. Then theres the carbons straiter speech how much straiter do you really need to shoot a buck or boar at 30 yards. I rarely have an insert pop off a metal shaft carbons inserts drop like flys. .oh well we will keep our cheap heavy metal a secret
I'll agree! I shoot aluminum and have no plans to change. Tried carbons, and if I have to buy special inserts, check spine, match arrows in groups, etc., it's just too much to worry about. I can fletch the aluminums, glue in the stock aluminum inserts, screw the point in, and shoot one hole groups without the extra work or expense.
Currently using 2216s, but I actually prefer 2215s when I can find them.
Shooting a Phoenix.
wabi
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

wabi wrote:
I'll agree! I shoot aluminum and have no plans to change. Tried carbons, and if I have to buy special inserts, check spine, match arrows in groups, etc., it's just too much to worry about. I can fletch the aluminums, glue in the stock aluminum inserts, screw the point in, and shoot one hole groups without the extra work or expense.
Currently using 2216s, but I actually prefer 2215s when I can find them.
Shooting a Phoenix.
X2 To that one Wabi Are ya ready for this up coming Deer season here in Ohio?
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

:roll: oops, sorry to post here
Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

L. E. Carroll wrote:So, I shoot a 355 and have several 2117's from my verticle bow days. I like my arrows cut to 17" will these work for me ?

I'll do what's needed to get them above 350 gn. with 100 or 125 gn. G5 Montec's ( actually shooting for 385-390 gns ) .

I was of the impression that the 23/64 diameter was needed for excals which kept me from working with these 2117 shafts. So is a 21/64 shaft usable diameter wise?

Thank's in advance,
Gene
If ya look at the back of the Excal product 2015 Cat it states 350 arrow min grain weight for all their xbows except the Vixen2 which is 325 min grain weight. The Easton 2219's are 13.8 grains say times 20" would be-276 grains without your insert and nock inserted in your arrow. Now the 2117 Game getters I cut down were 12 GPI= grains per inch
I also added a 21 grain PdP flat knock at rear of arrow plus alum insert say at 26 gr's that gr weight with 4" fletch slight fletched right twist all in all approx. 287 grins plus 100 grain FP or BH = 387 still over the 350 min gr weight recommended by Excalibur- Hasn't blown my Xbow as I also keep my Xbows 1" back from the front on or for the Brace height. Just remember 350 Min on all Excal Crossbow total -or- 325 min on Vixen-2. Keep your Bh adjusted proper an you should be just fine !!!! :D
mbc4

Post by mbc4 »

i use the 2219's, blazer or fusion vanes both work great, easton nocks and .304 70gr heavy horton inserts, 125gr tips at around 520gr total weight. heavy i know but they blow thru deer even on off hits (shoulder, spine ect) and still bury well into the dirt. won't be changing any time soon, plus everyone is practically giving away their allum arrows. :wink:
better an overkill than an underkill
vortex,vixenmaster string
2219s, abc steel sonics
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
Mtn Jack

Post by Mtn Jack »

Mbc4 you got that right I purchased 3 doz at 15.00 per doz, fletched and loose inserts, I love shooting heavy metal they fly very good with Blazers. Mtn Jack
mbc4

Post by mbc4 »

have shot a bunch of different allum. arrows; but the 2219s seem to shoot a little better in windier conditions must be the heavier weight; but man o man a deer body doesn't seem to slow them much at all. :D
better an overkill than an underkill
vortex,vixenmaster string
2219s, abc steel sonics
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
Mtn Jack

Post by Mtn Jack »

Mbc4 I just noticed your a Pa. guy I live south of you in Beaver county on a small farm. We should get together sometime with the other west Pa people. I have a lot of ground to hunt here, and in Forest county, you guys would be welcome any time. Bear season is my thing and am looking for some serious guys to hunt with, I have taken over 1,000 lbs of bear out of forest county either guiding or my self. 3 bears in all, including a 21 and 15/16 which I think is the county record. Man Jack