unexpected results

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bobcat

unexpected results

Post by bobcat »

my new micro just loves 125 tips. i bought 6 extra quills and the 125 tips when i bought the bow. shooting about 1.5-2.5 inch groups at 50 yards.
today i decided to shoot the arrows and tips (150) that came with it. same distance same rest and the group was bigger than a pie plate. one even missed the target.
paulaboutform

Re: unexpected results

Post by paulaboutform »

Shouldn't make that kind of difference. Check your scope mount screws with an allen wrench and make sure they're tight. After checking those check and tighten every other fastener you can see. There are a couple you can't see without removing the rail from the stock but start with all the ones you can see. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Something is amiss. Obviously, when you switched to 150gr POI will be affected at 50y, it should be lower, but they should still group fine. If anything, the 400gr arrow is probably more accurate, at least that's what I have found. If you are new to recurve crossbows read up on how to maintain brace height, maybe that's the problem, it could be that your string is stretching the more you test different arrow weights and that's why groups opened up. But if the 125gr heads work great, keep shooting those.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

"Sum Ting Wong" :mrgreen: Follow the advice given in the two above posts.
"Eze 18:21"
Seafermiles

Post by Seafermiles »

Different day, different weather. Little gusts of wind can cause a big difference. You can't see wind and its variances along an arrows path to target. Ask any pilot about crosswind landings.
Sea Ya

Matrix 330, AirBrakes, Reds, Cheek Piece, Ex-tender
Smokepolehall Flemish String
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

i will have to try them again but i shot it with the 125 tips this morning. i think my string has streched as my poi has changed but the 125 tips still are grouping nice so the tips where the only change.
maybe it was me...... :shock:
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

bobcat wrote:i will have to try them again but i shot it with the 125 tips this morning. i think my string has streched as my poi has changed but the 125 tips still are grouping nice so the tips where the only change.
Have you adjusted your brace height with the stringer? It's easier than adjusting the scope.
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

hankenhunter wrote:
bobcat wrote:i will have to try them again but i shot it with the 125 tips this morning. i think my string has streched as my poi has changed but the 125 tips still are grouping nice so the tips where the only change.
Have you adjusted your brace height with the stringer? It's easier than adjusting the scope.
thats my plan. the dealer where i got my bow was out of them so i have to wait for one to get here before i can twist it.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

[/quote]thats my plan. the dealer where i got my bow was out of them so i have to wait for one to get here before i can twist it.[/quote]

This alone could produce unexpected results. But it could've been wind or just you. But once you get squared away, post back with your findings. And while you're at it, maybe tell your Excalibur dealer that he ought to know better than to sell a recurve crossbow without a stringing aid. :roll: :oops:
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

Bobcat
My Micro was shooting large groups as well with the bolts and tips it came with( 3" at 20 yards) I tried the 20" bolts with 125gr tips there was a slight improvement. I tried another scope I had and that seemed to work. The only problem is after a few shots the reticle shifted about 30 degrees. I sent it to Excalibur and they are sending me a replacement. I'm anxious to shoot it and confirm for sure if the scope is the problem.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

bobcat wrote:
hankenhunter wrote:
bobcat wrote::
thats my plan. the dealer where i got my bow was out of them so i have to wait for one to get here before i can twist it.
This alone could cause "More Unexpected Results"
Do not shoot your bow if the brace height gets too low.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

ya im not shooting it until i get the brace height right again. the dealer carries the stringers just was out but i also think if it only takes 60 -70 shots to stretch a string to the point that it needs adjusted they should sell one right wit the bow. :?
strum

Post by strum »

bobcat wrote:ya im not shooting it until i get the brace height right again. the dealer carries the stringers just was out but i also think if it only takes 60 -70 shots to stretch a string to the point that it needs adjusted they should sell one right wit the bow. :?
heres an easy way to get the string off with out the stringing aid.
first remove the anti dryfire..
second ..fire without an arrow..
third ...dont listen to me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16

Post by newbie »

strum wrote:
bobcat wrote:ya im not shooting it until i get the brace height right again. the dealer carries the stringers just was out but i also think if it only takes 60 -70 shots to stretch a string to the point that it needs adjusted they should sell one right wit the bow. :?
1 That may get more then the string off.
2 Have a change of underwear.
3 Don't listen to Stan.
:lol:
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

newbie wrote:
strum wrote:
1 That may get more then the string off.
2 Have a change of underwear.
3 Don't listen to Stan.
:lol:
thanks guys your all heart..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

stringer is on the way..