Sneak peak...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TPM

Sneak peak...

Post by TPM »

Those who were at Boofest this past weekend were introduced to a new accessory available for Excal crossbows. It's a new style of stirrup put out by a company out of Quebec called "Dr Stirrup". These guys re-thought the whole idea of the stirrup and came out with this unique design. Here's a few pics to start.

The most obvious feature is that this stirrup uses two feet instead on one. This gives you a more centered position over the bow while cocking it and also allows you to easily cock it from a seated position.

It will also act as a very solid front rest when shooting from on a bench. There are also two curved "wings" that encase your broadhead and keep it from snagging on anything or getting damaged.
Also included in the package is a new style of rope cocker. It has very ergonomic handles and rollers in the hooks that make for much smoother cocking.

They also have a pretty effective new sound dampeneing system that consists of bumpers and limb mounted silencers. The unique thing about these limb silencers is that, unlike most other ones, with these you only loose about one or two FPS. Bows were chrono'd before and after they were installed and most only saw one FPS difference.

These guys are just getting off the ground and from what I understand these complete kits will hit the market in about a month. Their website is still under construction and should be up and running soon. These guys rearched and designed these products to the n'th degree and seem to have all the bases covered. Those who have trouble getting that last inch or so when cocking will benefit greatly from this system. Between the stirrup design and the rope cocker handle design the ergonomics of cocking the crossbow is greatly improved over the stock stirrup and rope cocker. You shift a lot of the muscle power from your back and arms to your legs which are naturally much stronger. I can't give much of a test report on them yet because I had them installed after the weekend shooting was finished but I do look forward to report back after a couple of 3D shoots. A lot of guys (and gals :D ) had these installed at Boofest so please feel free to chime in with your thoughts and experiences.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
bigredopie

Re: Sneak peak...

Post by bigredopie »

Does it come with the "Pank" toenails as standard equipment? :mrgreen:
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em
SEW

Post by SEW »

Appears someone(s) was/were really thinking. Seems well thought out.
SEW

Post by SEW »

bigredopie wrote:Does it come with the "Pank" toenails as standard equipment? :mrgreen:
Here we are, down fairly south, less than 50 miles apart, both with aging stocks, and the first yo respond to a thread all the way up in Canada. Modern technology!
Tom

Post by Tom »

bigredopie wrote:Does it come with the "Pank" toenails as standard equipment? :mrgreen:
TPM lost the shootout. But I actually think it was VixChix getting back at TPM for driving over her bow :lol: :lol:

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Boo

Post by Boo »

Gaston is inventor and he's from Quebec.
Much of this was spawned from wanting to make the Matrix easier to cock, which it does by lowering the bow away from the shooter so that most people barely bend their elbows when the string becomes latched. Cocking a Matrix in a tree stand while sitting is very doable.
Another reason was to prevent the shooter's foot from being inline with the arrow. So gone is the possibility of putting an arrow through your foot! Big bonus!
Moose hunters will often call and move and all you need is one foot on one of the arms to keep the bow up and ready.
When you're moving through the bush, that shroud will prevent branches etc from snagging the broadhead. Exposure to the broadhead blades while the arrow is loaded is pretty much nil.
If you set up the rope cocker right, the handles sit up, easily grasped by your hands.
The string bumpers are pretty much indestructable.
Everyone got a whole kit and in trade, Gaston wants feedback. Very importantly to Gaston, nothing is made in China. It is all from Quebec or Ontario.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

A mani-pedi? Holy smokes Tim! :lol: Did you get the facial massage and hot towels as well? :lol: :lol: :lol:
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

Interesting....

A few questions about it:

1) How would this stirrup work on a Micro? The thing looks big on a matrix so it would probably be huge on the micro (pics could be skewed but...)

2) How does the stirrup attach and how does it affect the overall balance/front end weight? And what is it made from?

3) I read that it could be used as a bench rest but could a bipod still be attached/used with it? I'm guessing you could still leave it on while shooting off a bog pod aswell?

4) Can you buy the parts separate if you just wanted the stirrup or limb bumpers/silencers but not the whole kit?

5) How would Blazer vanes work out of the stirrup arrow tunnel? From the pic it looks tight and could cause deflection and change between P.O.A and P.O.I.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by StormDragon on Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

They were great guys to talk to, I got one to put on my vortex. It's great to see a guy with the same passion for crossbows that we have. I think he will go far. :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.

Post by newbie »

StormDragon wrote:Interesting....

A few questions about it:

1) How would this stirrup work on a Micro? The thing looks big on a matrix so it would probably be huge on the micro (pics could be skewed but...)

2) How does the stirrup attach and how does it affect the overall balance/front end weight? And what is it made from?

3) I read that it could be used as a bench rest but could a bipod still be attached/used with it? I'm guessing you could still leave it on while shooting off a bog pod aswell?

4) Can you buy the parts separate if you just wanted the stirrup or limb bumpers/silencers but not the whole kit?

5) How would Blazer vanes work out of the stirrup arrow tunnel? From the pic it looks tight and could cause deflection and change between P.O.A and P.O.I.

Thanks in advance

The stirrup fits on a Micro and doesn't seem to affect the balance much although I haven't shot it after it was installed been crazy busy at work. It also still fits into an Octane Crypt case still FWIW. I'll post pics later. If you are using the stock quiver mount a mount extention is necessary to move the quiver farther back which he has available as well.
Buying parts separate will be possible I would think.
Blazers will be a non issue as the "tunnel" is the same as the riser cutout.
I really like the design of the tunnel to protect the broadhead from catching on anything. I will give it an honest go just feels a little awkward to cock as its a totally different procedure.
He did a demonstration lifting some weight with the stirrup then one hook from the rope cocker. I believe the stirrup lifted over 1000 pounds (don't quote me I could be wrong someone else may come in with the exact weights) and the hook over 300.
The bumpers are tough. They are designed with an air pocket behind the post and to be set with the string just touching at rest. I saw a set that had over 2000 shots on an exotic series and literally showed no wear.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
munch

Post by munch »

real great products and top notch guys gaston installed a complete set on rusty my 405 .the bow shot a 428 gr arrow 369fps and after installation of his set up it shot 368 fps second. don mentioned shooting your foot and yes ive done that, as well as that i moose hunt and walk a lot deer hunting threw corn and arrows do snag and make a ting sound when they hit the rail. looking forward to hunting with this set up
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Can someone post a link to buy one of these please? Looks like a very nice addition!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
SEC-ond 2 none

Post by SEC-ond 2 none »

What material is used to make the stirrup and hooks ?
X2 on the link. Thank you.

Happy Trails
Stephen
Matrix 380
Scotty_X2

Post by Scotty_X2 »

Here is a pic on a Matrix. Check out the bumpers...
Wolverine
Phoenix
Matrix 355
Matrix Cub
Micro 335
GRZ2
Bulldog 330
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I'm sold!!!

I need one of those for my Micro!!!

As soon as they can be ordered I will be the first to buy....

This is another one of thos why didn't I think of that ideas...

Jeff
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.