cocking matrixes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MickB

cocking matrixes

Post by MickB »

Hi guys, might seem a stupid question but how are the bows cocked? do you just grab the string and pull or are one these rope devices required at all times to do it?

Re: cocking matrixes

Post by newbie »

Rope cocker unless you are this guy Image
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
bubba

Post by bubba »

Watch the d.v.d. catalogue, at the bottom of this site. There are all sorts of vids, on every thing about your bow and acc, including how to properly cock your bow, All of them are very informative .........
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

bubba wrote:Watch the d.v.d. catalogue, at the bottom of this site. There are all sorts of vids, on every thing about your bow and acc, including how to properly cock your bow, All of them are very informative .........

X2

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

newbie wrote:Rope cocker unless you are this guy Image

newbie is correct !!!!............ 8)
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
MickB

Post by MickB »

well I am not the same shape as that guy but actually a powerlifter by sport :) always cocked exomags without much effort, plenty of horses left over I feel.

More concerned about whether it has any sort of ill effect on the bow/string/limbs to pull the string by hand? basically if I can do it barehanded, is it actually a good idea or not?
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

Accuracy may suffer when cocking by hand. It is possible that you could introduce nock travel by drawing the string off centre. Besides the strength involved, one must have to deal with the pinch (ouch).......on the shorter limbed bows. Decocking would be another reason not to do it.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
Tom

Post by Tom »

MickB it is mostly tech on if you can hand cock the Exo models. I can still hand cock an Exomag and my dad, at 74 still cocked his Exomag but now uses the rope cocker in his 80's.

This year at BooFest, I tried to hand cock a micro but could not manage to do it even with the shorted draw length. I am not sure if a 310 could be done, one day I would like to try.
ehntr wrote:Accuracy may suffer when cocking by hand. It is possible that you could introduce nock travel by drawing the string off centre. Besides the strength involved, one must have to deal with the pinch (ouch).......on the shorter limbed bows. Decocking would be another reason not to do it.
Yes if hand cocking is not done properly it could affect accuracy by cocking off center, but the same can be said about using the rope cocker. Either way can be accurate, it is just easier to use the rope cocker.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Tom wrote:MickB it is mostly tech on if you can hand cock the Exo models. I can still hand cock an Exomag and my dad, at 74 still cocked his Exomag but now uses the rope cocker in his 80's.

This year at BooFest, I tried to hand cock a micro but could not manage to do it even with the shorted draw length. I am not sure if a 310 could be done, one day I would like to try.
ehntr wrote:Accuracy may suffer when cocking by hand. It is possible that you could introduce nock travel by drawing the string off centre. Besides the strength involved, one must have to deal with the pinch (ouch).......on the shorter limbed bows. Decocking would be another reason not to do it.
Yes if hand cocking is not done properly it could affect accuracy by cocking off center, but the same can be said about using the rope cocker. Either way can be accurate, it is just easier to use the rope cocker.

Tom
Tom, I'll take it a step further. Hand cocking will be less accurate than using a cocking aid, period. .....even when done properly.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Tom

Post by Tom »

paulaboutform wrote: ................
Tom, I'll take it a step further. Hand cocking will be less accurate than using a cocking aid, period. .....even when done properly.

Paul
Sorry Paul, I have to disagree with you on that.

When I learned to cock a crossbow, there were no cocking aids. The way we learned was to use our thumbs (just like the hooks are with the aids) to ride against the side of the rail (both sides) when pulling the string back into tbe cocked postion. If your string is being pulled off center, you will feel it in the pressure onto your thumb. Cocking it this way (by hand) forces the string to stayed centered.

If your using the cocking aid & one hook is not tight against the rail (might move a little when starting to cock) and you pull back, it might pull the string off center & you would not know.

As I said, if it is done properly, both methods can be equally as accurate. But hand cocking is not as easy and is more strenious.

Paul, next year at BooFest, I challenge you to test it for yourself. I will hand cock the bow and you use the rope cocker (you doing all the shooting) and see which is more accurate.

Tom
Tom
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Tom, I will gladly take you up on that...just because I really enjoyed getting to spend some time together at Boofest. :D I've actually hand cocked the exos exactly as you've described and found a change. However, I could be wrong. It happened once before......the time I thought I was wrong. :lol:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

paulaboutform wrote:Tom, I will gladly take you up on that...just because I really enjoyed getting to spend some time together at Boofest. :D I've actually hand cocked the exos exactly as you've described and found a change. However, I could be wrong. It happened once before......the time I thought I was wrong. :lol:

Paul
...Paul, are you referring to the time you thought you were wrong, but were mistaken?

Anthony :mrgreen:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

paulaboutform wrote:Tom, I will gladly take you up on that...just because I really enjoyed getting to spend some time together at Boofest. :D I've actually hand cocked the exos exactly as you've described and found a change. However, I could be wrong. It happened once before......the time I thought I was wrong. :lol:

Paul
YIPPEE! a "My daddy can whoop your daddy " contest! I'll have to go back to Boofest to see this one! :D cant wait!
Tom

Post by Tom »

Paul, I have shot an Exomag hand cocked & cocked with a rope cocker with no change of accuracy. In fact, there was no change in point of impact. This was my dad's bow and he has had the same no change in accuracy. We both are very paticular with how our hunting tools perform and if there was a change, we would have quickly noticed.
flightattendant100 wrote: YIPPEE! a "My daddy can whoop your daddy " contest! I'll have to go back to Boofest to see this one! :D cant wait!
LOL, now that is funny, but in your case, is it not "the Son can Whip his Daddy's butt in a shooting contest"

It sounds like there could be a second little side contest :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom
Tom
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Tom wrote:Paul, I have shot an Exomag hand cocked & cocked with a rope cocker with no change of accuracy. In fact, there was no change in point of impact. This was my dad's bow and he has had the same no change in accuracy. We both are very paticular with how our hunting tools perform and if there was a change, we would have quickly noticed.
flightattendant100 wrote: YIPPEE! a "My daddy can whoop your daddy " contest! I'll have to go back to Boofest to see this one! :D cant wait!
LOL, now that is funny, but in your case, is it not "the Son can Whip his Daddy's butt in a shooting contest"

It sounds like there could be a second little side contest :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom
That's why I didn't shoot! Don't want to embarrass myself any further. :)