Broadheads-solid or vented...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

jody5252
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 7:30 pm
Location: chambersburg, pennsylvania

Broadheads-solid or vented...

Post by jody5252 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:02 am

Greetings. For fixed 2, or even 3 blade heads. Which do you think is better, solid or vented blades, and why? Would arrow speed (when being used on different types of bows, i.e. x-bow, compound, re-curve) have anything to do with BH flight/accuracy? All opinions and/or facts, appreciated... Thanks, J.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315-2219 magnums-Flex Fletch SK300 & 2" Blazer vanes-TruGlo red dot sight-Single post quiver mounts-8 pt.-Flemish string-125 gr. Dirt-Nap Gear BH-Lumenok

User avatar
amythntr
Posts: 6210
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:26 pm
Location: T.P.R.N.J.

Re: Broadheads-solid or vented...

Post by amythntr » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:18 am

...I have shot Thunderheads in the past which I believe is vented...I think there is no right answer to this question....as different children like to eat different foods...I would say what ever makes your crossbow purr is what you should be shooting! JMTC....

Anthony :)
When you are in a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A420TD (Assassinatore di Cervi)
A360 (l'Assassino)
NMare 335(On loan)
Scorpyd DS (hospitalized)
ZS,Ex
Spitfires
Boo,NChunterkw,Vixenm

vixenmaster
Posts: 13556
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:51 pm
Location: Land of Rocks, Ozarks Mo.

Re: Broadheads-solid or vented...

Post by vixenmaster » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:30 am

Solid fixed bladed BH's have abit more wind plane to them n maynot be as accurate from higher speed crossbows at longer ranges. The wind/air catches the solid blade n can create unwanted turbulance. Bh's of the solid n large blades will steer the arrow n there fore will need larger longer stiffer vanes/feathers to give better rudder effect
Limb Breakin Half Bubble Off BD360
Marie Laveau MXB Charge Banshee MXB320
Awshucks Relayer 25
[email protected] 417-505-9315

User avatar
nchunterkw
Posts: 2358
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:21 am
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Contact:

Re: Broadheads-solid or vented...

Post by nchunterkw » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:46 am

Most "bad" broad head flight can be traced back to poor arrow design/assembly. I don't know if a solid head of the same size as a vented would steer more or not.......seems like size would matter more than solid or vented to me. My advice is to get the best possible custom made arrows you can afford, and then try out a few different high quality BHs. You will likely find that most fly well on good arrows.
Keith
"I can explain it to you...but I can't understand it for you"

Micro, Vortex
RamCat, Slick Trick
BE Zombie, TF Feathers, Trinity Strings
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><

jody5252
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 7:30 pm
Location: chambersburg, pennsylvania

Re: Broadheads-solid or vented...

Post by jody5252 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:41 pm

vixenmaster wrote:Solid fixed bladed BH's have abit more wind plane to them n maynot be as accurate from higher speed crossbows at longer ranges. The wind/air catches the solid blade n can create unwanted turbulance. Bh's of the solid n large blades will steer the arrow n there fore will need larger longer stiffer vanes/feathers to give better rudder effect
That is what I kinda' thought. I have no experience with solid heads. I have been using bear razor heads for as long as I been archery hunting. My supply of them is low, and You cannot find any except if you get lucky and find them on e-bay. I use Magnus heads also. Both heads fly very well out to 40 yds., then they start to drift to the left... I was just considering a different BH and wanted to try a shorter/wider head. Like, Phat head, 145gr., NPA 145gr., Strickland Helix, 150gr. Magnus came out with the Hornet, but 125gr. only... Thanks for the input, J.
Last edited by jody5252 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315-2219 magnums-Flex Fletch SK300 & 2" Blazer vanes-TruGlo red dot sight-Single post quiver mounts-8 pt.-Flemish string-125 gr. Dirt-Nap Gear BH-Lumenok

User avatar
nchunterkw
Posts: 2358
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:21 am
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Contact:

Re: Broadheads-solid or vented...

Post by nchunterkw » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:37 pm

It may seem like a solid head would drift more than a vented head, but it's all about how the wind blows over the blades and the Bernoulli effect. Sometimes a vented blade will act the same way a solid one does due to the airflow. That's why I say just try 'em

One I thought looked promising was Dirt Nap Gear's DRT broadhead. You might like it.
Keith
"I can explain it to you...but I can't understand it for you"

Micro, Vortex
RamCat, Slick Trick
BE Zombie, TF Feathers, Trinity Strings
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><

jody5252
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 7:30 pm
Location: chambersburg, pennsylvania

Re: Broadheads-solid or vented...

Post by jody5252 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:22 pm

nchunterkw wrote:It may seem like a solid head would drift more than a vented head, but it's all about how the wind blows over the blades and the Bernoulli effect. Sometimes a vented blade will act the same way a solid one does due to the airflow. That's why I say just try 'em

One I thought looked promising was Dirt Nap Gear's DRT broadhead. You might like it.
Yes. They are a nasty lookin' head. I was considering them. For 150gr., you have to add collars to the ferrule, which means less threaded area, resulting in heads coming loose... So I am told... Thanks, J.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315-2219 magnums-Flex Fletch SK300 & 2" Blazer vanes-TruGlo red dot sight-Single post quiver mounts-8 pt.-Flemish string-125 gr. Dirt-Nap Gear BH-Lumenok

jody5252
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 7:30 pm
Location: chambersburg, pennsylvania

Re: Broadheads-solid or vented...

Post by jody5252 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:30 pm

amythntr wrote:...I have shot Thunderheads in the past which I believe is vented...I think there is no right answer to this question....as different children like to eat different foods...I would say what ever makes your crossbow purr is what you should be shooting! JMTC....

Anthony :)
Yes indeed. Like to hear kitty purr... :lol: I am just looking into possibly trying a solid head. Many years ago (more then I care to remember) I always heard that they would plane badly, but that was with vert. bows and slower arrow speeds... Thanks, J.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315-2219 magnums-Flex Fletch SK300 & 2" Blazer vanes-TruGlo red dot sight-Single post quiver mounts-8 pt.-Flemish string-125 gr. Dirt-Nap Gear BH-Lumenok

User avatar
nchunterkw
Posts: 2358
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:21 am
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Contact:

Re: Broadheads-solid or vented...

Post by nchunterkw » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:38 pm

jody5252 wrote:
nchunterkw wrote:It may seem like a solid head would drift more than a vented head, but it's all about how the wind blows over the blades and the Bernoulli effect. Sometimes a vented blade will act the same way a solid one does due to the airflow. That's why I say just try 'em

One I thought looked promising was Dirt Nap Gear's DRT broadhead. You might like it.
Yes. They are a nasty lookin' head. I was considering them. For 150gr., you have to add collars to the ferrule, which means less threaded area, resulting in heads coming loose... So I am told... Thanks, J.

I had not heard that - but good to know. I would think as long as it's tight before the shot you would be in good shape. Certainly not going to come loose by shooting it. Target practice maybe...Still, a little string wax on the threads might do the trick.
Keith
"I can explain it to you...but I can't understand it for you"

Micro, Vortex
RamCat, Slick Trick
BE Zombie, TF Feathers, Trinity Strings
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><

User avatar
nchunterkw
Posts: 2358
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:21 am
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Contact:

Re: Broadheads-solid or vented...

Post by nchunterkw » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:39 pm

jody5252 wrote:
amythntr wrote:...I have shot Thunderheads in the past which I believe is vented...I think there is no right answer to this question....as different children like to eat different foods...I would say what ever makes your crossbow purr is what you should be shooting! JMTC....

Anthony :)
Yes indeed. Like to hear kitty purr... :lol: I am just looking into possibly trying a solid head. Many years ago (more then I care to remember) I always heard that they would plane badly, but that was with vert. bows and slower arrow speeds... Thanks, J.
Faster speeds will only make things worse. But also back then many BHs were assembled by he archer and if they were not done to spin perfectly you would get bad BH flight. Nowadays high quality BHs like Magnus, Slick Trick and the like are manufactured to much tighter tolerances.
Keith
"I can explain it to you...but I can't understand it for you"

Micro, Vortex
RamCat, Slick Trick
BE Zombie, TF Feathers, Trinity Strings
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><

jody5252
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 7:30 pm
Location: chambersburg, pennsylvania

Re: Broadheads-solid or vented...

Post by jody5252 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:04 pm

nchunterkw wrote:
jody5252 wrote:
nchunterkw wrote:It may seem like a solid head would drift more than a vented head, but it's all about how the wind blows over the blades and the Bernoulli effect. Sometimes a vented blade will act the same way a solid one does due to the airflow. That's why I say just try 'em

One I thought looked promising was Dirt Nap Gear's DRT broadhead. You might like it.
Yes. They are a nasty lookin' head. I was considering them. For 150gr., you have to add collars to the ferrule, which means less threaded area, resulting in heads coming loose... So I am told... Thanks, J.

I had not heard that - but good to know. I would think as long as it's tight before the shot you would be in good shape. Certainly not going to come loose by shooting it. Target practice maybe...Still, a little string wax on the threads might do the trick.
Good idea. I am sure they would not come loose before the shot, but with my luck, they would work loose in the quiver... I am sure they are good heads. That was the only negative thing that I heard about them...
Exocet 200 & Micro 315-2219 magnums-Flex Fletch SK300 & 2" Blazer vanes-TruGlo red dot sight-Single post quiver mounts-8 pt.-Flemish string-125 gr. Dirt-Nap Gear BH-Lumenok

jody5252
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 7:30 pm
Location: chambersburg, pennsylvania

Re: Broadheads-solid or vented...

Post by jody5252 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:10 pm

nchunterkw wrote:
jody5252 wrote:
amythntr wrote:...I have shot Thunderheads in the past which I believe is vented...I think there is no right answer to this question....as different children like to eat different foods...I would say what ever makes your crossbow purr is what you should be shooting! JMTC....

Anthony :)
Yes indeed. Like to hear kitty purr... :lol: I am just looking into possibly trying a solid head. Many years ago (more then I care to remember) I always heard that they would plane badly, but that was with vert. bows and slower arrow speeds... Thanks, J.
Faster speeds will only make things worse. But also back then many BHs were assembled by he archer and if they were not done to spin perfectly you would get bad BH flight. Nowadays high quality BHs like Magnus, Slick Trick and the like are manufactured to much tighter tolerances.
How do you like the FMJ x-bow arrows? I see that you use them. I use the 400's on my 50lb. Bear bow. Truly amazing how much more accurate I am shooting with these arrows...
Exocet 200 & Micro 315-2219 magnums-Flex Fletch SK300 & 2" Blazer vanes-TruGlo red dot sight-Single post quiver mounts-8 pt.-Flemish string-125 gr. Dirt-Nap Gear BH-Lumenok

xcaliber
Posts: 10100
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:35 pm
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Broadheads-solid or vented...

Post by xcaliber » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:05 pm

The best answers have been given, and my only input is this, I sight my equipment in to 40 yards with the heads I have chosen for the bow, or crossbow. Usually they are very close, and when i go to fixed heads I use NAP Thunderheads because they work, and i have a bunch of them. I would not argue that they are the best, I will argue that they are a good value, and I never got a bad one in a pack! There are so many these days to choose from, and a lot of good ones for sure. Pick one you like, tune to it, and go hunt with confidence!

Good luck! 8)
Matrix 330 (Xylia) Bushnell Trophy XLT / Single Stage Trigger Tech
Micro 355 (Jinx) Nikon Bolt XR. TT Single Stage Trigger
Matrix 380 (Max) Redfield Revenge / TT Single Stage Trigger
Axe 340 Kryptek (Axe) Nikon P3 Will be completed 8-31-19

User avatar
nchunterkw
Posts: 2358
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:21 am
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Contact:

Re: Broadheads-solid or vented...

Post by nchunterkw » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:53 pm

The FMJ bolts are the heaviest I could find and I use them for bison and hogs. They allow me to get well over 500 grains with 150 grain broad heads. I shot 6 different arrows with Magnus 2 blade stingers into a 1 1/2 inch bullseye at 40 yards so accuracy for me is fine. I see them as high quality shafts with similar accuracy to my Black Eagles. My only gripe is that even though they sell a brass insert for them you cannot order them that way. Since I shoot 20" arrows the easiest way I have found to replace the aluminum inserts was to buy 22" arrows (same price) and just cutoff the insert end. Otherwise they are a bugger to get out and you stand a good chance of damaging the arrows
Keith
"I can explain it to you...but I can't understand it for you"

Micro, Vortex
RamCat, Slick Trick
BE Zombie, TF Feathers, Trinity Strings
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><

User avatar
bob watkins
Posts: 768
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:03 pm

Re: Broadheads-solid or vented...

Post by bob watkins » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:15 pm

i have tried the dirt nap flys ok but i found it to be a little on the weak side bent them just pulling them out of my target.best fixed bh that i have found are slick tricks ramcats helix magnus i do test a lot of broadheads these seem to the best so far jmo------------ dont know what will come next

Post Reply