finding a critter in your blind

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

finding a critter in your blind

Post by longbow joe »

This past turkey season had the pleasure of a possum scaring the sh...t outa me upon my morning blind entry. I actually got a turkey mid morning . Dont know how the flashlite n shooing incident sure caused a ruckus... anybody got any good blind stories to share?
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
StormDragon

Re: finding a critter in your blind

Post by StormDragon »

Knock on wood nothing in the blind already when ive went to get in it...

With that said, i think i might have spared myself a critter encounter for the fall and my soon to be new blind spot. While surveying the area/spot, I happened to look down and saw what appears to be a small burrow of some type, right in the middle of where I was gonna set my blind up. Think Im gonna back it up just a bit, well that and send my kids boyfriend in first to check things out (eveybody should have a stump double for such occasions lol)

However, having critters try to come into the blind while I was already in it is another story.

Ive had a bird or two fly in the window straight at my scope while i was looking through it. Yeah.....adrenaline pumper esp when a sparrow orother itty bitty bastard gets magnified a few times

That and I had a deer come right by the front and all I saw was its nose start crossing along the opening. I was tempted to try and grab it but then the what then common sense voice kicked in
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

My cat followed me to my blind one evening without me knowing and just about buck thirty , she jumps through the opened blind window ! SCARED ME TOO DEATH !!! LOL
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

longbow joe wrote:This past turkey season had the pleasure of a possum scaring the sh...t outa me upon my morning blind entry. I actually got a turkey mid morning . Dont know how the flashlite n shooing incident sure caused a ruckus... anybody got any good blind stories to share?
....Joe, it's only you and me here...nobody is listening....did you jump and scream like a 7 year old girl? :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: ....I know I would have....then I would have had to go change my soiled clothes! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

During my first South Texas hunt I was with the ranch owner setting up double bull blind in some heavy bush. I went inside to clear out all the dead leaves and scrub from the blind and have the owner trim out some shooting lanes. I heard something scurry up and over the blind and the shadow looked like a mouse or rat. Then I heard slithering at my feet and see a black snake, about an inch and a half in diameter, at my feet. Needless to say I got a little excited as I know nothing about snakes other than Texas has poisonous snakes and I don't like them. Turns out it was about a six foot grass snake that isn't venomous....but I still don't like em and don't want to share myblind with em! :wink:

Paul

Anthony.....yes, I did scream a little! :oops:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I would crap my pants to see a 6ft snake between my feet in a blind :oops:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
rattlerun

Post by rattlerun »

Had a red squirrel gnaw throught my box blind and set up house. Once I closed the door, he couldn't seem to find his opening to get out. Pretty exciting for about an hour. Another old blind I use once in a while, has mice in all the time, but they leave me alone. And lastly, had to put hardware wire completely around my box blind up north to keep the porcupines from chewing their way in.
deerskinner

Post by deerskinner »

I have had a couple of critters tried to get in my stand while I was hunting.
One time I was on a evening hunt and a snake started climbing in one of my
windows.I don,t think it was a poison snake,but snakes with me in my deer stand don,t work !Also have had more than one squirrel that tried to climb
in with me! Ron!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

When I was much younger (a kid) We hunted near Junction, TX. Its very rocky terrain, so much so that most of the ranchers run sheep or goats as opposed to cattle that require a more lush vegetation. One afternoon, I hunted in a sheet metal ground blind on the edge of a draw. Just about time for the deer to really start moving, I hear considerable rocks moving and its getting closer, I knew it was sheep and a whole herd, and wasn't happy as the deer don't like them because make so much noise. Well I was looking out the north window and the noise was to my right (east). It kept getting closer and closer and as I finally thought they must be nearly to the blind the noise stopped. Well I waited a few seconds and still nothing, so I turned to see where the sheep were. I thought they were within about 10 yrds. Well as I turned my nose nearly touched the sheeps nose, who had stuck his head in the window of the blind. Yes I screamed like a little girl, and shook for a while! I had no idea that thing was THAT close. Sure funny now...didn't seem so funny then! :lol:
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

This I posted once before on forum but here's a repeat. Just a couple of yrs. ago I set up a pop-up blind, got my chair in it and brushed it in about 2 wks. before the season started. On opening morning I slipped ever so quietly into it, unzipped the door as quiet as possible and stuck my head in. Well......in the 2 wks. since I put it up a raccoon had decided to use it for an outhouse. Several piles of 'coon pooh, and the most Gawd awful smell you ever smelled! I got a stick to get it out of the blind and then nearly gagged all morning, sitting in the blind! It was RANK!
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

Many years ago I had a treestand 25 ft up in a big pine tree in a swamp upriver from our cabin. One morning I trekked back in there way before daylight and proceeded to climb up to the stand using the branches on the tree. As I grabbed the front of the treestand (old Baker stand) and pulled myself up onto the stand Just as my face rose above the platform I caught a movement in the pitch dark just inchs from my face. I froze just as the big porky grunted and started to turn on the stand probably as startled as I was. Anyway I lurched backward and lost my grip falling all 25 feet to the ground fortunately bouncing off the trees limbs all the way down which broke my fall and saved me from serious injury.
Last year while hunting rifle season on a friends property upnorth again before daylight I got positioned in one of the wood shacks he has. As I sat there suddenly a large mouse (well he looked large) jumped up on the front window opening sat for a second then proceeded to jump 3 feet right onto my jacket collar. I jumped up looking like someone had just set me on fire. I did everything but stop drop and roll. Have no Idea where he went but heard things under that shed all day rustling around.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Normous wrote:I would crap my pants to see a 6ft snake between my feet in a blind :oops:
How'd you kn...!!!?...I mean, I don't wanna talk about it! :wink:
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I once climbed into my tree stand in the dark with no light and jumped a raccoon in there, scared the crap out me and nearly fell off the dam ladder.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

well, I had an experience 25 years ago.......
my girl-friend surprised me after 6 hours in shooting house about 1/2 mile
from my home. all I can say is..... memories :D 8)

we have been together ever since :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

flightattendant100 wrote:When I was much younger (a kid) We hunted near Junction, TX. Its very rocky terrain, so much so that most of the ranchers run sheep or goats as opposed to cattle that require a more lush vegetation. One afternoon, I hunted in a sheet metal ground blind on the edge of a draw. Just about time for the deer to really start moving, I hear considerable rocks moving and its getting closer, I knew it was sheep and a whole herd, and wasn't happy as the deer don't like them because make so much noise. Well I was looking out the north window and the noise was to my right (east). It kept getting closer and closer and as I finally thought they must be nearly to the blind the noise stopped. Well I waited a few seconds and still nothing, so I turned to see where the sheep were. I thought they were within about 10 yrds. Well as I turned my nose nearly touched the sheeps nose, who had stuck his head in the window of the blind. Yes I screamed like a little girl, and shook for a while! I had no idea that thing was THAT close. Sure funny now...didn't seem so funny then! :lol:
Well Paul, as they say, 'Don't Mess With Texas.......SHEEP'!!! :lol: