New Member and Excalibur Owner

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gmont510

New Member and Excalibur Owner

Post by gmont510 »

Well at 51 years old I finally decided to get into archery and to the dismay of some friends chose the crossbow route. Initially was going to go the route of something on the low end(Barnett) but thankfully decided to do some research and found Excalibur was the way to go. Still needed to keep my price point down so the entry level Axiom is the way I went. After sighting it in I found it to be a little louder than I expected. Would adding the bar dissipaters and the S5 bumpers give me a significant noise reduction? Also heard changing the string to higher quality may help, any suggestions out there? Thanks!
xcaliber

Re: New Member and Excalibur Owner

Post by xcaliber »

Shoot the bow with the stock string, it will survive a dry fire with the Dacron String, and you can get your cocking / loading technique down pat. The game you hunt will not be alarmed in time by the sound if your shots are within 40 yards. Get the Bumpers, and later a good Flemish String would be a nice upgrade, but not necessary.
Congrats on a nice bow, and good luck.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Welcome ! Not a lot to be done to tame the noise significantly !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

..... Welcome aboard gmont510.... Congratulations on the proper choice of a crossbow.... You will not be disappointed....there is a lot to learn and a lot of time to learn it... Welcome aboard to the Forum.... Why not complete your registration so we know where you hail from...it helps us to help you....nice to have you as part of the family....

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Ear plugs work well if the noise is bothering you. As for the animal the arrow will be through and buried in the ground before they hear it. CHEERS!
deerskinner

Post by deerskinner »

Wecome to forum! There is a lot of great people on here that will help
you out ! Ron!
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

Welcome to the Excalibur family gmont510!

-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
gmont510

Post by gmont510 »

Thanks for the welcome and the info on noise. Noise is not a bother to me but being new and reading reviews from other sites didn't know if it would hurt my chances.
canoe13

Post by canoe13 »

I have found that the diss. bars did not make a difference but the S5 string bumpers do help and are good insurance against dry-fire damage. And you will dry-fire some day. It has happened to anyone who shoots a crossbow sooner or later. I put Excal. Brake Pads (not Air brakes) on my limbs and noticed quite a difference on my Micro and EM 355 in shot noise. A flemish string or using heavier arrows also quiet down an Xbow. Keep your brace height consistent with a bow stringer for good accuracy. Use a cocking rope for safe and consistent draws every time, (also needed for decocking). Keep your fingers safe and have fun. WELCOME TO THE TRIBE.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings
bubba

Post by bubba »

Welcome to the forum. And congrats on going with Excalibur #1...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I too just picked up a new Axiom...they are awesome...very light, with excellent accuracy and sufficient speed to get the job done... You can get better performance with a low stretch performance string and many here can make you a great one ....

But along with your stringing device, consider an ADF from Danny also as it will protect your limbs should a "Dry-Fire" take place.

You picked a great model... enjoy it.

Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Welcome aboard and congrats on a fine choice. The axiom will last you a long time as well as your grand kids ;)
Excellent info given already but I will repeat a few :)
1. You will need a stringing aid to keep your brace height adjusted properly.
2. An ADF (anti dri-fire) is a highly recommended safety feature for both your crossbow and you.
3. Do not use rail lube as it can cause trigger problems and is not needed.
4. These crossbows are very reliable and a pleasure to shoot... "Enjoy" :mrgreen:

Tips for quieting your crossbow = in recommended order.
String stops help reduce string vibration and thus reduce noise.
Wrap the stirrup with tennis racket tape.
Brake pads on your limbs will help.
The DB bars will help reduce vibration and a little noise.
Heavier arrows will also reduce vibration and noise and is easier on your limbs.
ear plugs :lol:
Once you have installed an ADF ask a couple string makers about their strings.
There are several string makers on this site and they all make excellent quality custom strings.

Ron
Last edited by BrotherRon on Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

welcome to the forum.

I remember the first shot I took with my Excalibur. Wow. :shock: It struck me as being excessively loud! Most will tell you that any noise from the bow will not hurt your chances at taking game and they are right. There are benefits to making the bow quieter but its mostly for the sake of the shooter and the bow itself.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

welcome to the forum and congrats on your new bow. like every one says don't worry about the noise . the game won't worry either. have fun :)
W.M.