Deer cull urged in Saskatchewan

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

Deer cull urged in Saskatchewan

Post by Woody Williams »

By GRAEME SMITH Thursday, August 5, 2004 - Page A7

Thousands of wild deer must be slaughtered in Saskatchewan to save the rest of Canada's deer from a brain disease that threatens to sweep across the country, according to an international panel of researchers.

But the recommendation, announced yesterday at the University of Saskatchewan after a meeting of leading experts on chronic wasting disease, was met with resistance from federal and provincial governments. The ministry responsible for wildlife management in Saskatchewan said it doesn't have the resources for a massive extermination of 3,000 to 7,000 deer, and the federal government said it is not inclined to help with the cost.

In any case, somebody must act quickly to contain the wasting disease, said Ted Leighton, executive director of the Canadian Cooperative Wildlife Health Centre. Mr. Leighton's centre in Saskatoon played host to the seven-member panel of scientists from Canada, the United States, Australia and Belgium.

"The disease could spread from one end of Canada to another," Mr. Leighton said. "Some mathematical models of this show that, in 100 years, there would be no deer left."

The mysterious and fatal condition, related to mad-cow disease, arrived in Canada some time during the 1980s when sickly elk were imported from a farm in South Dakota. Its presence was not detected until 1996.
Wildlife officials first noticed the disorder in wild deer four years later, and are still not sure whether it will continue spreading to wild moose, elk and caribou. The disease is considered a low risk to humans, although its connection to other brain illnesses is not fully understood.

The panel's report says animals at 40 game farms in Saskatchewan and three in Alberta have tested positive for chronic wasting disease. But an aggressive eradication program by the federal government, costing $40-million to $60-million, appears "successful, and there are currently no known infected farms in Canada," the report says.

Governments haven't been so vigilant about fighting the disease in the wild. Saskatchewan allows hunters in some parts of the province to attract targets using bait, a practice the report says should be outlawed because it encourages animals to congregate and spread disease.

The report also calls for sharp increases in provincial and federal investments in monitoring for chronic wasting disease, along with eradication of all the deer in a wide swath around any positive tests. In broader areas around known cases, the report recommends culling about 80 per cent of the herd, until only one deer remains per square kilometre.
That would likely require planeloads of hired marksmen, Mr. Leighton said, which would be vastly more expensive than Saskatchewan's existing program of allowing hunters to kill more deer in affected areas than other parts of the province.

Dave Brewster, manager of resource allocation for Saskatchewan Environment, said the ministry would consider the recommendation about bait hunting. But the idea of an organized hunt isn't feasible, he said, especially across the worst-affected swath of rugged terrain around the South Saskatchewan River.

"It's certainly desirable, but is it practical? I suspect it isn't," Mr. Brewster said. "Our ability to reduce populations very quickly is limited."

Mr. Leighton said the panel didn't envision Saskatchewan bearing all of the cost, because it would be acting as a vanguard to protect wildlife in the rest of the country and should be supported by Ottawa.

But Trevor Swerdfager, director-general of the Canadian Wildlife Service, said his agency would be reluctant to spend money on killing deer. "I'd say that's highly, highly, highly unlikely."
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Hey Grey Owl,

Maybe you could recommend to the Saskatchewan Government that they ship the forum members out west to give you a hand? :wink:

Nick
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Thanks Woody for the info., that's what I was talking about last week on the forum.

There's 3 hot zones of the province where a hunter can go and shoot unlimited amount of deer. Some hunters shoot over 100 deer alone. Rifles can be carried on your back on A.T.V.'s or snowmobiles (unloaded) drive through deer country, see a deer, stop, get off and shoot. All heads are to be cut off and dropped off at the check stations, to be examined for CWD. Great place to be if your a hunter, but a sad event unfolding.

The best way in my mind, is for hunters to control the ever expanding deer populations. Governments should encourage hunting in public forums, newspapers, media and "yes" schools. The circle of life has taken a back seat to electronic technology. Kids now a days are taught about viruses in computers, not in wildlife.

Once a pond a time the hunter was the most distinguished and important person in the community or tribe, now its Safeway. Hunting now is looked down upon by scorns of people, antihunters, Peta, etc. They have absolutely no concept of harvesting game of any sort, they are sorrowly removed from the true world.

Like I say, " Plants and animals can live quite finely without human beings, but.......... human beings can't live without plants and animals."

Oh ya !! Partikle I'll mention to the Gov. about shipping and paying the air fare for all forum members to come and cull the deer, buuuutt, some how I think they won't buy it.

Take care guys.

Grey Owl
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

When I read this kind of stuff it drives me crazy. First off, if it got into Canada from a sick elk from South Dakota why are they even questioning if it can spread to wild elk? You already know it can. In addition, it's a safe bet that the moose are in trouble as well. So lets wait until it spreads and we drop millions of dollars on studies to do something about it. My favorite part is it is related to mad cow and they are not sure about this connection. Don't worry though the risk is considered low. Are these guys brain dead or what? OK I'm done.
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

They should get as many hunter shipped in and get the Job done quickly and effectivly, I would take a week off work if my Trip and lodging were paid for. They could have rotating shifts of hunters from across the country to be flown in and shoot for a week straight, fly the next group in and fly the next group home. Where can I sign up? Most times politicians can't see the cheapest and quickest answer under their nose...
Once the problem is addressed we ship in fresh stock from other parts of the country!!! :D Hopefully they can be proactive on this one!!!
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Lets hope that no one in North America dies from eating wild meat. That'll be near IT for hunting I'm afraid. What puzzles me is, Saskatchewan has only roughly 250,000 head of deer, and were the only ones that I know of that's initiating a cull program. The State of Michigan has over one million deer alone, the whole U.S.A. has about 25-30 million deer. You'd think that this problem should be alot more wide spread. Sometimes thy authorities might be getting a little carried away with the danger of CWD. There hasn't been a single case that someone has died, or been linked with CWD. There's alot of bambi's that could go down if mass hysteria infects the brains of the common man.

I pray this never happens.

Grey Owl
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I need to vent just one more time.

This here problem is not just isolated to Saskatchewan, it will affect the whole country and over the border. Deer move around and don't have to check in at Customs with a passport. There are no fences separating provinces or states. Nip it in the butt NOW, or pay dearly later.

Gotta go and finish laying the lino in my bathroom, Good night!!

Grey Owl
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Guys, guys, how do expect them to find any money for this?!!! After all that gun registery is costing us 2 billion! .... Dumba** politicians! :x Enough said. :evil:
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

Then send in the Army for some target practice!!! They are paid no matter what, and this would be a good excersise in rough terrain.....
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

GREY OWL wrote:Like I say, " Plants and animals can live quite finely without human beings, but.......... human beings can't live without plants and animals."
My sister was telling me the other day that if ants were eliminated from the Earth a thousand plus(maybe several thousand, can't remember the exact figure) species would become extinct. If humans were to disappear from Earth only 2 species would become extinct, one being the domestic dog. Can't remember what the other would be.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Likely Politicians

Grey Owl
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

GREY OWL wrote:Likely Politicians

Grey Owl
Those are SUB-Species... :wink:
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]