New to crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deepsouth

New to crossbows

Post by deepsouth »

Hello everyone. I recently decided to give crossbow hunting a try. Mississippi recently okayed the use of crossbows for hunting, so figured I would try it out. Not wanting to jump in and by a brand new crossbow I decided to look around and see what I could find used. I found a Exocet on eBay and won the bid. The crossbow will be here in a few days. I will post pics so y'all can tell me exactly what one I have. It just says Exocet on the limbs, has 4 bolts with it, sling and a Tasco scope. I'm looking for some videos that I can watch to help me out with the maintenance and adjusting of this crossbow. I found the ones on the website but they all say "this video is unsupported" when I try to play them. Any help would be appreciated?
wabi

Re: New to crossbows

Post by wabi »

Not sure what's going on. I tried the videos and they work fine on my computer.
wabi
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your excal!! :D
I would invest in a string changing aid...keeping your strings brace height adjusted right is a must. You may also want to check the condition of your string when you get your bow, if it's frayed i would replace it. Also might want to invest in some good string wax. I use Dalton's...a little on the rail and very little on the serving.
Also keep your finger's below the rail!! :shock:
Good luck :)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Buy a stringing aid, buy a new string off our trading post here on the site, buy some executioner arrows from Dan Miller.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
bubba

Post by bubba »

Welcome to the Forum, and congrats on your soon to arrive crossbow. As said a string aid is a must, wax, maybe some replacement arrows, and personally i think i would change the tasco. I sent you a P.M so check you messages good luck.
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Welcome aboard, post a few more questions. You have to have 6 posts minimum to get PM's.
As stated, get the stringing tool. If you call Danny Miller for arrows, get the tool too from him, and a few tips!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

I saw that one one eBay, it was the older exocet 165. Carved tip limbs on it. Still a very nice bow. You will alot of fun hunting with it. :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

maine hunter wrote:I saw that one one eBay, it was the older exocet 165. Carved tip limbs on it. Still a very nice bow. You will alot of fun hunting with it. :D
Be careful with the strings you get for that bow! You have to use Dacron, or a Dacron substitute material ONLY. Make sure you talk to Danny Miller, he will explain it better than I could.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
wabi

Post by wabi »

I would recommend you call Danny Miller (Excalibur sales, warranty service, & stringmaker) -(740) 483-2312- before you shoot it or buy any accessories. Danny will be able to tell you about the bow and what you need to get started shooting and hunting with it.
wabi
deepsouth

Post by deepsouth »

Thanks for the info. Bubba I can't receive your pm. As soon as the bow arrives I will give Danny Miller a call. I read several things about the Exocet 165 seems like it should be a good starter bow. As long as it will kill deer and pigs I'm good. I will post pics of the string and other things when I get it so the experts on here can tell me if I should change them
deepsouth

Post by deepsouth »

Xcaliber I see you make strings can you make strings for my bow if I need them?
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Deep South,
Congrats on the new bow, as manny have already stated Dany Miller has a wealth of knowledge any a pleasure to talk with. Obviously by your profile you are in south Mississippi, when you can receive pm's hit me up as I am on the east side just a bit up hwy 59 just curious where you might be located.
Matrix 380 blackout
18" Zombies/92 gr. brass inserts
100 gr. Slick Trick Mag
18" Spinal Tapp's
170 gr F.O.C's
NChunter/BOO/ VixenMaster strings
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Welcome aboard and congrats on you new bow ;)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Welcome to the forum. :D You'll have a blast with it and you'll be fine with pigs and deer. As mentioned, talk to Danny. Right off the bat, I'd say get a stringing aid, a rope cocker if your bow doesn't come with one, and some Black Eagle Executioner Arrows with heavy brass insert. Danny will help you with all this. Also, as mentioned, I would lose the tasco scope. There's a TacZone scope for sale on the trading post section of this forum for $75.00 USD delivered. It's illuminated and you can adjust it to give you marks from 20-50yards. One more thing, when you order your string, buy a second one at the same time. You'll be glad you did when you need a backup. As for broadheads, because you're shooting a lighter poundage bow, I recommend a solid fixed blade broadhead that's a good penetrator and accurate. My top two choices are the Magnus Buzzcut and QAD Exodus Broadheads. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

wabi wrote:I would recommend you call Danny Miller (Excalibur sales, warranty service, & stringmaker) -(740) 483-2312- before you shoot it or buy any accessories. Danny will be able to tell you about the bow and what you need to get started shooting and hunting with it.
X2, and he has Dacron Flemish strings in stock! :wink: He is also an Excalibur guru. Ask your questions then listen. he wont steer you wrong.