Things to "quiet down" our X-bows...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SLP82

Things to "quiet down" our X-bows...

Post by SLP82 »

Ok, this will be my first season hunting with a crossbow and I know I will learn a lot after this season, but can some of you with more experience give me some tips so I possibly don't have to learn what to wrap or install by making too much noise in the blind right when I am about to take that 8 point...

Does the foot stirup "clang" if you tap a wood blind wall, or set it on a wood window for bracing for shot? If so, do any of yall wrap it or install something to minimize the noise? What about anything else that will make my Matrix Grizzly be a little quieter...

Oh and I already ordered a set of Danny's Micro bumpers for my Grizzly...
Excalibur Matrix Grizzly
Diablo's w/Boltcutters
one shot scott

Re: Things to "quiet down" our X-bows...

Post by one shot scott »

I don't know if it would necessarily "clang" but it would make more noise than if it were wrapped. What folks wrap it with I don't know having never done so myself

but yeah, wrapping the stirrup will help, so will putting some shrink wrap on the arrow retainer. The bumpers are a good idea. A wooden stock helps as well. The types of sting you use can make a difference as well.. strings can have what boo calls "whiskers" and in my experience they help at the price of a few fps

Excalibur co. came out with the airbrakes. Some have given good reviews.

Its easy to get carried away. Im not 100% sure about this but I think ive heard the smf rail is quieter then the alum rail
SEW

Post by SEW »

There are some good suggestions on Boo's site. I did all of them plus. Both my Matrix xbows are very quiet.

GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Lizard Skins baseball bat wrap is what I use on my stirrups.. it helps a little bit especially if you accidently bang it against something.
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I wrapped mine withpara cord, para cord does not rot which is great since it's always getting wet or muddy. Just leave a tiny section open for your vane to pass by.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Stirrup wrapped with tennis racket tape.
Limb savers on the limbs.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
SEC-ond 2 none

Post by SEC-ond 2 none »

I used material that you put in tool chest drawers. it is slip resistant. Cut to fit and than wrapped "horse leg wrap" around it. The horse wrap clings to itself for a secure tight fit. I also used the drawer material inside my rail. It worked for me, all though I can't hear very well. I just know my 380 is quiet to me and does not effect my target shooting.

Happy Trails
Stephen
Matrix 380