Broadhead accuracy help!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Livtahunt

Re: Broadhead accuracy help!!

Post by Livtahunt »

racking up points wrote:
Livtahunt wrote:This is why I shoot expandables. I have never shot a fixed blade that flew like a field tip.
Some do, I use fixed blades and I'll be using expandables this year too. But help me understand your logic. Once hunting season starts, you shoot broadheads at animals and not field tips so who cares how a field tip shoots during hunting season, they don't matter anymore. As long as a broadhead will group, penetrate and perform as it's designed, who cares how it flies in relation to a field tip?
I only want to shoot a broadhead into a target once. Line in with field tips, shoot 1 broadhead make sure it's good and hunt. Drop the bow, bump the scope on something then go home and make sure it's still on with field tips. No need to shoot more broadheads into a target.
Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
Tom

Post by Tom »

BrotherRon wrote:expandable broadheads are not recommended for lower poundage bows such as the axiom, and my matrix 310. The problem is that the force required to deploy them slows them down and you don't get very good penetration.................
Sorry but I have to disagree with your statement. An Excalibur crossbow (even a 150lb model) will have more then enough KE for a passthrough with a good hit (non solid bone) with any quality mechanical head.

If you have a solid head that you like, the only thing that really matters is (like many others have said) if they group together. If so, just resight and go hunting.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

Many moons ago
I ask almost the same question
here were a few of the answers
1. Line blades of bh with fletching
2. double check bolt weight with bh against field point bolts
Is there any difference between set ups such as lumenock
Those are the biggest 2 things I always check
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
Possum

Post by Possum »

Paul[/quote]

I'm shooting my archery target at 40 yards with an axiom. I'm using excalibur firebolts. I'm accurate with 150 gr. Excalibur field points. When I fire the 150 gr bolt cutters I'm about six inches below the bullseye[/quote]

I was seeing almost the same thing with my 330 with GT Lazer II pro 100 gr Muzzy 3 Blade. My broadhead tipped arrows are hitting same POI as my F/P at 20 yards but gradually start to hit lower and lower the further out I went. At 40 yards I was hitting 4" low but field points were hitting dead on. (My field points are 100gr) to compensate, I dialed my speed ring back approx 3 FPS, center the 40 yard chevron on my scope so-as-to cover the center of my intended POI. I am now hitting the 12 ring on my target with my Muzzy. If I shoot an arrow with a field point at 30 or 40, I then bring the top point of the chevron down to my intended POI.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Php 4:13
Big Woods

Post by Big Woods »

I had problems getting both muzzy and thunderhead 125s to group the same as my target tips last year out of my matrix 355. I had some planing and drifting at longer yardages as well (40 and beyond). I switched to slicktrick standard 100's and all those problems went away. They fly the same as target tips.

I
Possum

Post by Possum »

Tom wrote:
BrotherRon wrote:expandable broadheads are not recommended for lower poundage bows such as the axiom, and my matrix 310. The problem is that the force required to deploy them slows them down and you don't get very good penetration.................
Sorry but I have to disagree with your statement. An Excalibur crossbow (even a 150lb model) will have more then enough KE for a passthrough with a good hit (non solid bone) with any quality mechanical head.

If you have a solid head that you like, the only thing that really matters is (like many others have said) if they group together. If so, just resight and go hunting.

Tom
I know that this is slightly off topic but... I did some testing with my 330 and posted on another thread here. Although I have never shot an animal with any mechanical broadhead I have carried a couple in my quiver on my hunts. I have always trusted fixed blades a little more but I believe that at least the spitfires that I have practiced with do go to the same POI as my field points and are less affected by winds so I may actually try them this year.
Here is what I came up with:

Initial velocity with the 100 gr. f/p was 322 fps. and with the 125gr. f/p 319 fps.
Here is what I came up with:

100gr. f/p FPS -- KE _________________ 125gr. f/p FPS -- KE

10 yds**** 305 -- 79 __________________________ 302 -- 83
20 yds**** 288 -- 71 __________________________ 286 -- 74
30 yds**** 273 -- 63 __________________________ 271 -- 66
40 yds**** 258 -- 57 __________________________ 256 -- 60
50 yds**** 245 -- 51 __________________________ 242 -- 53
60 yds**** 232 -- 46 __________________________ 229 -- 48

NAP web site recommends a minimum KE of between 50 f/p - 55 f/p for thier Spitfires and I believe most other manufactures have about the same recommendations. There is more than enough energy at least out to 40 yards, maybe 50 yards to take almost any game in North America. I guess it just depends on how well the shot is placed or how far in the dirt a person want thier arrow buried after passing through the the animal.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Php 4:13
CrazyAce

Post by CrazyAce »

Just a thought:

1) I had purchased some 125gr field tips and got the 150gr's mixed up in the mix of arrows. Kept my head scratching for a couple of days till I figured that one out. So if'n you are using <150gr field tips and have it set dead to nuts on say 100gr field tips then go to a 150gr broad head... POI change.

2) Vane to broadhead orientation. It's been noted that the vanes and broadheads need to be in line.

3) Weight of your arrow, I purchased a chrony and learned my arrows speed then I can set my speed ring to the weight/speed of the arrow I'm using. I have Executioners and some Devastators. The Ex's shoot at 355fps, the Dev's at 380fps... So perhaps you need to chrony your arrows so you know your speed ring setting.

NOT an expert just personal experience talking. :mrgreen:

Have a great day!
CrazyAce aka John
-SnotRocket-
Matrix 405
DLX scope
TriggerTech 2.5#
DrStirrup rig
8ptbuk, vixenmaster, Boo Flemish String
Zombie Slayer, Executioner
Wabi Call
jcvortex

Post by jcvortex »

I am having great luck with my Dead Ringer Rampage Broad heads! They fly just like my 125 grain field points.They are very compact in the closed position. I was shooting the bolt cutters when I first got my Vortex. The 150 grain filed points and the 150 grain bolt cutters did fly different for me.
gregtsuperfly

Post by gregtsuperfly »

kd8jgu wrote:Many moons ago
I ask almost the same question
here were a few of the answers
1. Line blades of bh with fletching
2. double check bolt weight with bh against field point bolts
Is there any difference between set ups such as lumenock
Those are the biggest 2 things I always check

Okay the bolt cutters won't line up with the fletchings when they are screwed in all the way? I cant leave the head loose. What do I do?
Axiom smf
Flemish string
S5s
Dissaptor bars
Easton black max
Excalibur Xact mechanicals
Foonus

Post by Foonus »

Dental floss ;)
\\\\\___________________\"-._
/////~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/.-'

Equinox/Tact-Zone/FFF String/S-5/TAC Pak
CX Maxima Hunter 20'' W/ Muzzy Crosskill 125gn. Total 413gn.
Leupold RX-1000 TBR DNA
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Here's what I've learned on making a broadheads accurate and more importantly consistent , Shoots heads with around 1" diameter , Fixed or mechanical ( closed position ) . Use a brass insert and a spine indexed shaft fletched with 3/4 degrees helical . You won't have anymore broadheads problems if you do this ! No need to turn your blades to match your fletching !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]