O/T Raising Organic Beef

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

O/T Raising Organic Beef

Post by Guest »

Sorry, a bit off topic here.

I'm considering getting in to the organic beef market, and was wondering if there are any like minded farmers out there. Any first hand info would be appreciated.
I have about 30 acres of meadows to both hay and graze beef on. Clover and Timothy.

Thanks much.
BUCKSHOT

Just a Thought

Post by BUCKSHOT »

In our area there are quite a few small Farms that deal exclusively in organic beef, chicken, and turkeys. I believe there is an evergrowing demand for more pure food!
You know I am not a Farmer, but just thought I would comment that it should be a good market for you!
BTW there are also some feed stores which provide organic feed only, so there must be quite a few folks going that way!
Enjoy the Harvest!
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

We raise organic lamb,beef,chicken and turkey. I dont know any specific information to offer with out knowing you intentions (herd size etc)

By all means send over any questions you have!
-Richard-
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Carl have you ever considered Buffalo!! There a ton less work, low maintenance, can be purely organic, an amazing animal. People from all over will come just to see them.

As long as they have enough food and water, their happy. Just a thought.

Grey Owl
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

The key problem in keeping animals "organic" is that you have to produce all of your own food. It is very rare to find a farm that has organic hay or grain for sale. With that said if you only have a few animals you would be able to support them off your own land. The great thing about raising cattle is that you can use rotational grazing at a very low cost. An electric fencer ant one strand of wire will do the trick.

Grey Owl: Buffalo are amazing animals to watch. There is a farm close by and there are often people at the side of the road taking pictures.
-Richard-
terry-1

beef

Post by terry-1 »

I am rasieing beef cattle myself and have looked into the Organic market alittle but around here I would have to move my cattle to far to sell them that way. Maybe in time a closer processer/buyer will be here in my area. From what I have read you need to be able to produce your own feed/hay to prove you are true organic and in full control of every thing that goes into cattle. I am sure their are some different standreds form different buyers and such. We use to have a Milking dariy left that when milk prices became so cheap ,Went into beef cattle and shortly after the market went south there to and just now are the prices getting back higher. Farming is a fast way to go broke for sure. I have another part time job which pays most the bills but being a third gen farmer I just love the land and the lifestyle to much to leave it.

Post by Guest »

Thanks guys.
I need to do some more research and visit with the local farm agency people as well. Need to find out how big a herd 30 acres of fields will sustain, etc. etc etc.
I know of a few farms around here that are starting to go organic, and will probably co-op with them to help reduce costs (butchering, etc.) and increase profits.

I do know that there is a hefty premium paid for organic meats and the demand exceeds the current supply.

I'll pm you guys with some question so we can free up the main forum.

Thanks again.