EXOCET or MAG

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Butt

EXOCET or MAG

Post by Butt »

Hey guys, thanks for replying back to me in regards to my question about using a Vixen for moose. So if I were to trade up what would be better, exocet or mag? I'm going moose hunting and want as much kenetic energy as I can get but also do alot of 3D shooting in the summer and know that there is speed limits at some shoots. :?
claude

Post by claude »

i've taken moose with my xomag i would highly recomend it, i use heavier
bolts and broadheads so the extra speed of the mag is a plus
Quickshot

Post by Quickshot »

Hi Butt,

I had a read of your last post and the replies and found it interesting that the vixen was not looked apon as a good moose bow. I know that on the web site here it shows the vixen as a ? for moose, but if you look at the KE and arrow drop chart you will see that it is more than capable as long as you pay attention to range. There is no doubt that the exocet or higher will give you more power and more range, but the vixen will do the job. My son hunts moose with a vixen and I with an exocet. Although we have not taken a moose with the bows YET, and there for have no real yard stick to go by, IOHO we are both very confident that out to 30 yards the vixen will do the job, and you have the advantage of an easy reload for a possible second shot, which with moose is not unheard of. Remember it all comes down to knowing your maximum distance and shot placement. Besides you can't go wrong with any excal. :D
enjoy the woods
Doug
Don

Post by Don »

Butt,

I received a note from Bill T at Excalibur when I sent my bow to be looked at last fall. I use an Exocet. His note read as follows. "Your Exocet should be more than enough for any game you will hunt in North America"
But he did go on to say that he would suggest using a heavier bolt such as 2219 for things such as Moose. The Exocet is the most versatile of all the bows. It will Bring down big game such as Moose, and Wild Boar. But is easily slowed down enough to get under the IBO 300 FPS rule used at most sanctioned shoots. The exomag on the otherhand would require a much heavier bolt to slow it down to under the 300 FPS rule and at regular 3D shoots would only be a pain in the a$$ due to the arrow trajectory.

Don :lol:
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

Hi Butt,

There are a number of people on this site that have a lot of knowledge and can give you some great advice on how the different models perform in the field (where it really counts)...... I personally chose the Exomag...... all kinds of power..... I can slow it down under 300fps with the right shaft/point combination (for IBO shoots)..... not much I can do about the 190lb weight limit though... :( .... and the 'Mag is a little bit more efficient than some of the other models when shooting heavier shafts..... it's up to the individual what they want but all of the excaliburs are great bows...... these 2 links should help out....... :wink:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/choose.html
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/arrowselect.html
Butt

Exocet or Mag

Post by Butt »

Thanks Stalker for the great info.It really answered any questions I needed to ask. I think I will stay with my Vixen for now and maybe think about an Exocet later on. I to have back problems and visit the chiropractor regularly. :)