FNG W/Plenty of Questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TheBig1

FNG W/Plenty of Questions

Post by TheBig1 »

Good day everyone, first time crossbow owner here and after doing some research, talking with friends, and reading reviews, I decided to buy an Excalibur.

Today I purchased the new Matrix Grizzly that came with Diablo bolts as well as the rest of the package deal. My questions pertain to the Matrix Grizzly and Diablo bolts specifically as my budget restraints will not allow for me to purchase a different type of bolts. This is what I got, so this is what I'll be using. I'll be hunting whitetail deer and turkey with this package.

After reading through the forums I have questions as it pertains to broadheads. I've read so many posts on here but am still just as confused.

I've read about Slick Trick's and Ramcat's but still need just a little bit more information. I don't care what grain I have to switch to, I simply want my broadhead to fly exactly like my field points.

So which broadhead flies as true as field points, what grain, fixed/mechanical, model of broadhead?
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
bubba

Re: FNG W/Plenty of Questions

Post by bubba »

Well my friend i have yet to ever shoot a broad head that shot exactly like my field points, close but never same hole accuracy. But i think both Slick Tricks, and the new Ram cats would be close. Should not be much adjusting on your scope. A few clicks here and there and you should be good to go. Anyway welcome to the forum.. And congrats on your new Excalibur. Also good luck this up and coming season.. Keep us posted on your progress...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thank you Bubba. With my vertical compound bow I was able to find broadheads that flew exactly like my field points out to 40 yards. I was hoping to be able to find the same thing with the crossbow without spending money trying different heads.

I've read about Slick Tricks and Ramcats but no one mentions model, fixed or mechanical, or grain.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Welcome aboard, and congrats. The stock arrows have aluminum front inserts, and I would recommend 125 grain heads minimum. Do not aim at the same spot twice if you wish to preserve those arrows, Robin Hood shows up often when shooting Excals. :wink:

Good Luck, and Happy Hunting.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

TheBig1...lol.. Welcome aboard...

I don't have any experience with the supplied bolts or broadheads but if time and $$ is an issue right now, I would say use what you have for now to get you through the upcoming season...

Sight in with the broadheads supplied with your package ( and buy replacement blades ) and worry about changing out at a later time.. Excalibur supplies hunting ready accessories in their kits. Some guys are perfectly happy using the Bolt Cutter heads on the stock arrows.. Just make sure when screwing on the heads, they spin clean with ZERO wobble.. I try to align my 3 blade heads with my fletching ( it makes me feel better ). There are guys who say it makes no difference as long as the head is aligned with the shaft properly.. different strokes :D

You did buy a stringer right? To adjust your brace height till the string settles.

Hmm. It seems as per this site that package does not come with broadheads... If you are sticking to the stock arrows then you are limited in your choice because of the field point weight and overall arrow weight and FOC. Front of center balance on the arrow.

Good luck with your new bow..
Last edited by GrassyKnoll on Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Grassy, no I didn't buy a stringer. I'm completely new at this. I guess I'll have to pick one up when I buy my cheek piece. I saw something about adjusting brace height. I guess you unstring it and twist the string to retighten the string right?
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yep, do not shoot the bow with low brace height. Twist Counter Clock Wise to tighten, or shorten brace height.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thanks X, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on that.

Now just to find some broadheads that shoot accurately.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

welcome aboard TheBig1!, broadheads . . . i first tried Nap thunderheads 100 grn . . . didnt shoot same as my 100 grain points but w/ a scope adjustment deadly, but i'm using Muzzy's Trocar in 100 grn. same as "MY" field points. jus like rifles or muzzle loaders your critter killer will pick what it like's to shoot, you just got to foot the bill :lol:

sacrifice a head to the accuracy gods, build yer confidence w/ it and go hunt'n!

-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!! :D :D
Nothing wrong upgrading on arrows but you don't have to shooting at normal hunting range...40yds max for me. I shoot the stock excalibur firebolts, only change i made was to refletch with 2" blazer vanes. I've killed plenty of deer and hogs with them. I'm sure i could shoot tighter groups with better arrow's but i'm already busting nocks. 8)
If your stock arrows have an aluminum front insert you would be better suited using 125gr heads or heavier. I shoot spitfire's for mechanical and slick standards for fixed...both with in a 1/4 of an inch of my field tips...minute of critter for me!! :D :lol:
Good luck
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Starvin' Hillbilly wrote:welcome aboard TheBig1!, broadheads . . . i first tried Nap thunderheads 100 grn . . . didnt shoot same as my 100 grain points but w/ a scope adjustment deadly, but i'm using Muzzy's Trocar in 100 grn. same as "MY" field points. jus like rifles or muzzle loaders your critter killer will pick what it like's to shoot, you just got to foot the bill :lol:

sacrifice a head to the accuracy gods, build yer confidence w/ it and go hunt'n!

-ken
Yep, I adjust my scope to the NAP Thunderheads every year. They are a great deal, kill deer, and most other game hunted, and the price is right! I never had a bad head from them!! Make your final adjustments to the heads you choose, and you'll be golden!
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

I appreciate your input Hillbilly. I'll definitely consider Muzzy's.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

xcaliber wrote:
Yep, I adjust my scope to the NAP Thunderheads every year. They are a great deal, kill deer, and most other game hunted, and the price is right! I never had a bad head from them!! Make your final adjustments to the heads you choose, and you'll be golden!
:wink:
-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Georgia and X, I truly appreciate it. Thanks for your time and advice.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Video demonstrating the string changer...

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/videos/player/374
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger