Spare Cocking Rope?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big Woods

Spare Cocking Rope?

Post by Big Woods »

Just curious, do most of you have a spare cocking rope? I'm thinking of buying a backup as a lost or broken one would end a hunting trip quickly. Kind of like not having a spare release....

I see Amazon has them for $20
Normous

Re: Spare Cocking Rope?

Post by Normous »

I think it is a wise idea for a spare. On a moose/bear hunt years back I spotted a nice black bear feeding on a hill about 800 yard away and put on a dedicated stalk through the difficult deadfall cut. At 200 yards I went to grab my rope cocker only to find it missing from my jacket pocket.

Lucky for me I was able to hand cock my #225 Equinox by hand at that time and saved the hunt. The bear did not stick around but my lesson was to prepare my future hunts with a backup rope cocker.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
bubba

Post by bubba »

I have thought of my rope cocker breaking or lost. So i made me a back up out of 650 paracord in case that was to happen, just need some make shift handles at location and i'm back in action.
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Possum

Post by Possum »

I dont, but should have, before I find myself NEEDING one. Been thinking on buying some aluminum hooks from Munch and making a set of 7" solid aluminum handles long enough so that all four fingers of each hand fit.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Php 4:13
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I don't leave the house hunting without a spare rope cocker & my stringing aid.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

I have 3 if that answers your question.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Spare string, an extra cocker and a string changer never leave my hunting pack. Consider it insurance..
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Back up rope cocker in pack along with a stringing aid and extra string. Long distance hunts I bring both of my crossbows along. You never know.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
galamb

Post by galamb »

I have 4 - one stays on the bow "all the time" that I'm not actually shooting it.

1 stays in my day pack.

1 in the truck in case I forgot my daypack or break the one on my bow.

1 is laying somewhere along the side of the dirt road that takes me into my hunting land. After neglecting to put it back on the bow, I left it on the bumper of the truck and it didn't survive the trip home :lol:

I also carry an extra set of hooks and a piece of cord (cut to length) in my day pack, plus a spare string (used/pre-stretched - a brand new string is of little value unless you are going out for a week and can allow it to settle) and my stringing aid.

I'm uber paranoid about not having my cocking aid.

Allen packages one that sells for about 10 bucks in places like Walmart.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

galamb wrote:I have 4 - one stays on the bow "all the time" that I'm not actually shooting it.

1 stays in my day pack.

1 is laying somewhere along the side of the dirt road that takes me into my hunting land. After neglecting to put it back on the bow, I left it on the bumper of the truck and it didn't survive the trip home :lol:

I also carry an extra set of hooks and a piece of cord (cut to length) in my day pack, plus a spare string (used/pre-stretched - a brand new string is of little value unless you are going out for a week and can allow it to settle) and my stringing aid.

X2 and loved your answer :lol: ESp about on your truck bumper- :lol:
hockeyfodder

Post by hockeyfodder »

Big Woods wrote:Just curious, do most of you have a spare cocking rope? I'm thinking of buying a backup as a lost or broken one would end a hunting trip quickly. Kind of like not having a spare release....

I see Amazon has them for $20
NOTE
Whatever you do be cautious about anything not Excalibur.
My son had one with no markings thrown in on his deal when he bought
his Exomax a few years back.
He was cocking it at the range and it let go and flew back and hit him
in the face.
Fortunately he had sunglasses on or he might have lost an eye.
It didn't break, the hooks spread open due to the strain it put on them
to cock the bow.
We think it was a cheap Chinese knockoff.
bubba

Post by bubba »

galamb wrote:I have 4 - one stays on the bow "all the time" that I'm not actually shooting it.

1 stays in my day pack.

I liked your answer, and i think you are well prepared.. Just hope you never louse or forget them all, and have to start looking up and down the road for the one that jumped your bumper....Smile...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Rusty Gate

Post by Rusty Gate »

3 for me, and a pair of Munch hooks that I'll put together shortly. Not to highjack this thread, but until Munch comes up with a set of handles, what are you guys using for handles? Appreciate any feed back.

RG
cantgetright

Post by cantgetright »

I carry a spare now as I had one snap while decocking my 380 after a hunt last year
Big Woods

Post by Big Woods »

I just ordered one!