Matrix 380 or Micro?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kuffs

Matrix 380 or Micro?

Post by Kuffs »

I have been out of the loop for a while now but was considering a new Xbow. I see the Matrix 380 and Micro are the same price while the matrix 405 is $400 more. Im not that concerned with needing the extra FPS of the 405 and in reality the micro at 335 is the same as what my old Exocet was which is enough for deer or moose if I even go (I sold it years ago).
Im not sure which way to go as I love the idea of a smaller xbow (micro) but wondering if the Matrix 380 is a better choice for the same money. there isnt a lot of info or too many questions I could find on it yet.
Any thoughts? Anyone fire both?
Thanks
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes!

Excal Micro 335
Normous

Re: Matrix 380 or Micro?

Post by Normous »

The fact that you mention the smaller more compact Micro being preferred makes your choice so much easier. I own both (and a 405) but prefer the 380 additional speed over the 335.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I don't own a micro but have shot and handled them. They ARE compact and very well balanced but I find they require about the same energy to draw as the 405...only seventy feet per second slower. I do own a 380 and still find it well balanced and compact, although not as compact as the micro. I would choose the 380 all day for the flattened trajectory and equal or slightly less cocking effort. Reports I've read suggest the 380 would be slightly more accurate at extended ranges. Much like the long limbed Exo series seem more accurate than the matrix series at extended ranges. That being said the difference at hunting distances would be irrelevant. To me the 380 seems to be the perfect balance between power, accuracy, comfort and balance. Imho.. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I own a Micro with a longer PS than the 335 and it draws somewhere near 300# and there is no way I would compare cocking it to my 405. It's about the same effort, but the micro is over such a shorter span that you can't make any comparison, the micro is way easier to cock especially for extended target sessions. I own both a 405, (used to be a Matrix 380), and the Micro, and while I love both bows, I'll hunt more with the Micro this year, especially in the late season. I am a better offhand shooter with it. It's a tough choice and it comes down to personal preference.

I hate tough choices, and I bet you do too, so buy both! :lol:
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I traded my 405 fer a Nitemare Micro. Micro is lighter n more comfortable for me at 5'9". I have to use the C2 for either of them. Speed loss on Micro compared to the 405is certainly there, but my Micro will get 346 fps usin arrows in the 350-360 gr area. Its good out to 60 yds so i am happy with it. 380 abit slower than the 405 some faster than the Micro. Its all in what you really want ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bubba

Post by bubba »

You asked.. For me it's the M-380 hands down.. Speed, a great value. and on and on, Take it too town as you low ride the main street with it laying across the front seat, And listen for the ooohs and aaaahs, Smile ...Go 380 Bud...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
R4fan

Post by R4fan »

I had the exact same dilemma. I wanted the extra speed and extended range, but the 405 was overkill and cost a lot more. I ended up buying the 380, and from everything I've read I made the right choice. I'm just waiting for arrows and a target to test mine out.
SEW

Post by SEW »

Your question needs to include more information concerning its usage. Desired range, your physical ability, etc. Seriously, it's somewhat akin to " what kind of gun should I get for hunting?".
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

the Exocet never shot 335fps. the Micro will mostly do that and if your lucky like me 340fps plus!i have both a 405 and Micro. the Micro is a bit stabby and sharp on the draw while the Matrix is a little milder but longer agony :lol: a would suggest get both . :mrgreen: if only 1 id go Micro. :!:
Kuffs

Post by Kuffs »

SEW wrote:Your question needs to include more information concerning its usage. Desired range, your physical ability, etc. Seriously, it's somewhat akin to " what kind of gun should I get for hunting?".
Sorry I thought I did mention mainly for deer as a main usage and perhaps one day moose if time ever allowed me to... but not very likely.
I am 43 and have no physical issues but a little extra weight. I am not in the huge rush. I ended up selling my exocet after getting into a compound bow (which I do like). I was just looking at th new line up from Excalibur and would like to get one again
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes!

Excal Micro 335
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

bubba wrote:.................................. Take it too town as you low ride the main street with it laying across the front seat....................................

Love it bubba..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been itch'n for a 380... My name is Ed and I have a problem :( :(
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

i was in the same boat. i went to a dealer and shot both. i liked the micro better. and im not sorry i got it. i can shoot fist sized groups all day long with the stock quills at 50 yards.

if you go shoot both you can decide if the compactness of the micro is worth the extra 25 fp of ke of the 380
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

I think the Joisy Italian has one of each. I'm sure Anthony will chime in with his thoughts very soon. :lol: :lol:
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
jason25

Post by jason25 »

I wish I could find a place around here that carried the micro, would like to try to cock one to see what its really like, and just to see the size of it.
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

Here's my thoughts on things. If you plan on shooting/hunting in a ground blind go with the Micro.

I had a 355 which is roughly the same size as a 380 and it took up alot of room in my blind as compared to the Micro which seems made for it.

Also, if speed is your thing, alot of the Micros are shooting close to 350 FPS with a 350 Gr arrow. Mine shot 349 if i rem right when I first got it. It shoots roughly 320 FPS now but I'm using a heavier arrow 405 Gr and a Flemish String.

Granted 349 FPS isn't 380 or a little lower with a 350 Gr arrow if you strictly shoot man rec arrow weight but it's nothing to sneeze at either.

Plus the Micro in my honest opinion feels not only more compact but better balanced then a Matrix. It's really weighing the pros of each and seeing what out weighs who the most
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus