Greetings and pulled the trigger

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

FORVOLS

Greetings and pulled the trigger

Post by FORVOLS »

First I have learned a lot here lurking. Greatly appreciate the amount of information and the way most of it is delivered. This is my first cross bow but I am a hunter primarily with firearms and past vertical bow hunter. But this is my first jump back in bows in over 20yrs. BUT I Finally pulled the trigger on an EXCAL 355 and basic custom package from Wyvern Creations and a few other items.

So team 355 you got another member and EXCAL you got a believer in KISS.

Looking forward to learning more and hopefully some point able to contribute some to the site.

Tony -- in Northeast TN.
MATRIX 355
HAWKE XB1
Trigger Tech Trigger
20in BEE
Various broadheads
Quick, accurate, simple
bubba

Re: Greetings and pulled the trigger

Post by bubba »

Welcome my fellow team M-355 member.. You are gonna love it. Did you get the Redds or Millers baby bumpers? How about a A.D.F. ? Did you get a stringing aid? Can't wait until you give us your first report after you sling some arrows down range. Welcome to the forum. And one GREAT crossbow.....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Welcome Tony, team 355 Rock's! Make sure you have all the questions that you have answered before heading out, goes a long way! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
SEW

Post by SEW »

bubba wrote:Welcome my fellow team M-355 member.. You are gonna love it. Did you get the Redds or Millers baby bumpers? How about a A.D.F. ? Did you get a stringing aid? Can't wait until you give us your first report after you sling some arrows down range. Welcome to the forum. And one GREAT crossbow.....
Great choice, IMO . Bubba's question is really great advice. I'd get what he asked if you didn't already. Many of us also like the Trigger Tech triggers. There's just no end to just how much you can spend.
FORVOLS

Post by FORVOLS »

No I didn't get the REDS here is what I put together:
1 x Excalibur Matrix 355 BARE BOW (Excalibur Matrix 355)
1 x Excalibur Cheekpiece (Excalibur Cheek Piece)
Finish Realtree® Xtra®
1 x Custom Matrix Basic Bow Kit (Custom Matrix Basic Bow Kit)
Matrix Kits 355, 330 Small Kit
Scope Package Hawke 1.5-5 SR
Broadheads Slick Trick
1 x Excalibur Tombstone Matrix Case (Excalibur Tombstone Matrix Case)
1 x Custom Matrix Premium Bowstring (Custom Matrix Premium Bowstring)
1 x Custom Premium Matrix Arrows (Custom Premium Matrix Arrows)
Length 20"

More details when you hit the website and look at the package contents. Thought I would wait on the REDS and ADF...like them both but momma ..needs at least a 2 week break on crossbow stuff.. :D

etA: Yes got the stringing aid, the Wyvern basic custom package was pretty good from what I have learned..
MATRIX 355
HAWKE XB1
Trigger Tech Trigger
20in BEE
Various broadheads
Quick, accurate, simple
FORVOLS

Post by FORVOLS »

xcaliber wrote:Welcome Tony, team 355 Rock's! Make sure you have all the questions that you have answered before heading out, goes a long way! :wink:

Yes very much agree on this one.. I can not wait to get my bow and then bow season so excited...and yes I like to tinker..so same with my firearms I know it will occur with this crossbow.. I reload..so probably not long till I make arrows or is it bolts or is it quills? NE way I will probably end up making my own long pointed sharp thingys I sling at animals..or not I know there are SEVERAL good makers here..and no problem enjoying their product..aint looking to reinvent no wheels.

SIDENOTE: I have never shot a crossbow never own one. But I did get to research and handle the axiom/355/330/335 micro. Settled on the 355 ...ALSO compared it to ALOT of compound XBOWS. To much going on there for me. I like KISS..EXCAL does that a provides field repairable weapons. Truly important.
MATRIX 355
HAWKE XB1
Trigger Tech Trigger
20in BEE
Various broadheads
Quick, accurate, simple
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Welcome aboard Tony.
And congrats on a fine choice.
The 355 is smack in the middle of the Matrix line.
Plenty big enough for any hunting situation and small enough to practice with.
I really wouldn't want to cock much more than my 310 or 330 all afternoon :mrgreen:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

..... Welcome, and a great introduction Tony... The family is growing... Pull up a chair seems like you already know the routine!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Welcome aboard and congrats on your fine choice in crossbows..

The addiction will begin shortly :D :D
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

FORVOLS wrote:No I didn't get the REDS here is what I put together:
1 x Excalibur Matrix 355 BARE BOW (Excalibur Matrix 355)
1 x Excalibur Cheekpiece (Excalibur Cheek Piece)
Finish Realtree® Xtra®
1 x Custom Matrix Basic Bow Kit (Custom Matrix Basic Bow Kit)
Matrix Kits 355, 330 Small Kit
Scope Package Hawke 1.5-5 SR
Broadheads Slick Trick
1 x Excalibur Tombstone Matrix Case (Excalibur Tombstone Matrix Case)
1 x Custom Matrix Premium Bowstring (Custom Matrix Premium Bowstring)
1 x Custom Premium Matrix Arrows (Custom Premium Matrix Arrows)
Length 20"

More details when you hit the website and look at the package contents. Thought I would wait on the REDS and ADF...like them both but momma ..needs at least a 2 week break on crossbow stuff.. :D

etA: Yes got the stringing aid, the Wyvern basic custom package was pretty good from what I have learned..
If you hunt in a treestand, and like to hang your bow on a hook, the 20" arrows will be a PIA. If you use the metal ladder type stands, or a climber, get on the Third Hand Archery website, the universal bow holder mounts to many of the stands out there, and holds my Hoyt, and PSE Verticals great, but also my Excals. I like my arrows at 17" for the 355, and 330. When you get ready to make your arrows, this place is a Library of knowledge to get answers, debates, and passionate discussions fired up, especially AFTER Hunting Season ends! :lol: :lol:
Again, congrats, and welcome to the addiction.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
FORVOLS

Post by FORVOLS »

Ohhh Excalibur--- rgr all. Same as I am worked up about some of my 06/08 loads. And I have read here about length/weight/fletching etc. Thought I would go with a good recommendation from David for my first dozen and first season with a crossbow. I do have ladder stands and ground blinds and also hunt from the ground stalking. I would like arrows with BH contained with in the stirrup but having never owned on. I thought David is a wealth of knowledge and I want best on target/quickest I can get for my first season. Went with his vote for the 20in. Gotta start some where.
MATRIX 355
HAWKE XB1
Trigger Tech Trigger
20in BEE
Various broadheads
Quick, accurate, simple
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi Tony, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you'll fit in juussstt fiiine! :wink: These bows are extremely simple but there is an array of advice for little things to prevent and little things to just make your life easier. It's all, as I say, easy peasy! Congratulations on a fine choice of bow and brand. :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum & congrats on your 355!! :D :D
You know a bow is just like your guns...your primary needs a backup, and your backup a backup........just sayin!!!! :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I shoot 20" executioners out of my 355 and have no problems,
you won't either. I hunt from all ladder stands and hang my bow without problems. Most of the time I lay it on the rifle rest. I also bought what David told me to get. You do need the reds or baby bumpers for an easy way to adjust brace height.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
FORVOLS

Post by FORVOLS »

Riflemanz the package did come with a suppressor system. I assume that is what you mean by baby bumpers. It is not a naked limb setup...just not the REDS. I thought out of the gate with that and no ADF and my attention to detail it would suffice for the first season...Of course the season is long...is there really as "season" on shooting...I maybe ordering parts/upgrades in mid OCT or JAN...but out of the gate....gonna see what I got.
MATRIX 355
HAWKE XB1
Trigger Tech Trigger
20in BEE
Various broadheads
Quick, accurate, simple