Rage 2" COC broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Reinyrooster

Rage 2" COC broadheads

Post by Reinyrooster »

Am well aware of the fact that there is no one perfect broadhead, and don't want to start the "which one is better" argument. Just asking an opinion from those already using the Rage on how they perform. Any issues with them either not opening properly, or opening prematurely? Have used many different broadheads over the years but thought I would give these a try when I switched to this crossbow.
Wouldn't be opposed to pictures, if you wanted to include them.
TheBig1

Re: Rage 2" COC broadheads

Post by TheBig1 »

Rooster, I too am new to the crossbow world and did my research before buying the Grizzly. I asked the general question of what was best and got a plethora of answers. I then asked a close friend who has had an Excalibur for years and he said that he used the Rage 2" expendables. I found them on sale at Dick's for $30 so I bought two packs to try due to the good price and the addition of the practice tip. If they didn't work I'd return them anyways.

Now I've only shot the practice tip to try, but it flies exactly, or at least without much notice, the same way that my field points fly hitting the same spot time after time.

I'm very happy with my choice. I hope this helps at least a little.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I don't use them anymore but I used the two blade 100gr. model in a vert. bow for two years and I had two negative experiences; one deer nailed in the vitals and didn't leave any sign and one premature deployment on a nice buck. Needless to say I won't use them again. I hope your experience is better, but keep in mind they are notorious for not penetrating well so choose your shots wisely.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Lake Hunter

Post by Lake Hunter »

Me and the wife used them for years and have taken prolly 30 deer with them in that time..My wife shot the vixen and i shot a exocet and we never had one not penatrate completly or not open..We have changed bows now to Micro and 380 and switched to Ramcat.. I know other people have had issues with the Rage so i can only report the results we had.. We did have a couple of the blades break and bend but we have solid rocks here so about any head is in trouble with a pass threw!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I have only shot the rage 3 blade from my compound and it didn't open. Luckily it was a heart shot and the animal took about five steps and crumpled. Upon examining the heart it had a 3/4" hole through it when it should've been cut in half. The blades were mangled but I don't care about that, once I shoot a broadheads it's been paid for. Changing blades is easy enough. I gave the other two away and have no interest in them, just my opinion. I do suggest sacrificing one of the heads to practice with. Do not assume the practice head will fly the same. If they don't and you discover that on a huge buck you'll be kicking yourself.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

I have shot them for years and never experienced issues I have read about like not opening and premature opening etc. They produce large holes in deer. Shoot them with confidence. I am shooting NAP Killzones this year after reading lots of good reviews. Its basically a Rage with out the retention washer cup. The NAP uses a clip to keep the blades closed until contact with the target. Post pics of your deer when you put them down with your Rage broadhead. Here is a pic of a deer I got with a two blade Rage a few years ago with my old Vortex. Good luck this season.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

I too started shooting the 100gr Extreme head. Shot two deer. Couldn't believe the hole they made entering and exiting. Awesome. Like many others, I've heard horror stories about them opening prematurely but I have never experienced such. If that thought bothers you get you some small dental rubber bands and slip them over the blades. Personally, I don't think you need them if you get the cam-lock variety. Mine fly just like my field points. They don't survive the force of a 335 when it zips through a deer and buries up in rocky soil, but hey, one deer for one head ain't bad. Slick Tricks didn't survive Texas rocks and clay either. But, each to his own. Shoot what you have confidence in. That's the key. Placed in the proper spot a field point would likely kill too. But I ain't that good yet. lol. Cheers.
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes