Spare Limbs

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Normous

Re: Spare Limbs

Post by Normous »

No worries, you will receive matched limbs. Just make sure to re use the plastic gasket.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
SummitSitter

Post by SummitSitter »

Normous wrote:No worries, you will receive matched limbs. Just make sure to re use the plastic gasket.
So the plastic gaskits won't need to be replaced? I have a new set of Air Brakes that I'm going to install. Are the rubber pads that come with the Air Brakes the same part that others on this forum are saying that need to be replaced when changing out limbs?
Normous

Post by Normous »

I have not seen or used the air brakes and cannot comment but your plastic limb pocket gaskets should be OK to reuse unless abused which is unlikely in your case. Don't omit them like another member did this summer.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I change limbs back and forth and have never changed plastic shims after 100's of shots on them.

The deflection rating is way overrated, I can see no difference in 106 limbs or 97 on my 380's, a string can make as much difference, and you will never notice it unless you chronograph it,,, sounds good but means nothing! As for the deflection,,, I have 2 sets matched and one that isn't, I see no difference again in performance or accuracy, there may be 1/16" diff. at 50 yards but I can't find it.

As for the consistency in matched or unmatched, both sets of limbs turn in speeds within 1 fps of each other with matched arrows shooting 10 shot strings. I have come to believe after 2 380's and 1 Micro speed and consistency is what you get with any of the limbs on my bows,,, accuracy is all on the individual.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

wildcatter wrote:I change limbs back and forth and have never changed plastic shims after 100's of shots on them.

The deflection rating is way overrated, I can see no difference in 106 limbs or 97 on my 380's, a string can make as much difference, and you will never notice it unless you chronograph it,,, sounds good but means nothing! As for the deflection,,, I have 2 sets matched and one that isn't, I see no difference again in performance or accuracy, there may be 1/16" diff. at 50 yards but I can't find it.

As for the consistency in matched or unmatched, both sets of limbs turn in speeds within 1 fps of each other with matched arrows shooting 10 shot strings. I have come to believe after 2 380's and 1 Micro speed and consistency is what you get with any of the limbs on my bows,,, accuracy is all on the individual.
....in all due respect WC...it was a very famous Dr.DM who advised along with an Excalibur person that the plastic shims should be replaced upon "actual" limb failure...if they advise it than I am changing it!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
SummitSitter

Post by SummitSitter »

Can someone post a pic of what these plastic shims/gaskets look like?
Normous

Post by Normous »

I have never seen a photo posted yet. They fit between the fiberglass limb and aluminum riser, roughly 1" x 2" with a 5/16" hole in them for the limb to riser bolt, you can't miss them.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
SummitSitter

Post by SummitSitter »

I'm in the woods right now and I'm thinking that they are the square pieces of rubber the attach to the limbs. I those are the only rubber parts on the limbs I know what we are talking about.
Normous

Post by Normous »

They are plastic. Take a look on the right and left side of the inside riser where the limb and riser meet, you will see the edge. Not the rubber under the limb strap.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
Boo

Post by Boo »

There are rectangular black polyethylene shims under the limbs and there is a circular shim on top of the limb between either the beveled washer or the Air Brake. If I lose one, I cut out a piece of washer fluid jug.

Here's my supply of spare limbs :mrgreen: I've had them as far back as my Exocet 165.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Boo wrote:There are rectangular black polyethylene shims under the limbs and there is a circular shim on top of the limb between either the beveled washer or the Air Brake. If I lose one, I cut out a piece of washer fluid jug.

Here's my supply of spare limbs :mrgreen: I've had them as far back as my Exocet 165.

....so the sky really isn't falling? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anthony :mrgreen:

PS...I have to think of a game for Boofest next year which will incorporate those limbs....hmmm?....I can see it now...you can paint them all different colors and we could have an Excalibur limb hunt similar to an Easter egg hunt.... :lol: :lol: the one who wins gets a free set of "blemished limbs" from Excalibur! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

amythntr wrote:
wildcatter wrote:I change limbs back and forth and have never changed plastic shims after 100's of shots on them.

....in all due respect WC...it was a very famous Dr.DM who advised along with an Excalibur person that the plastic shims should be replaced upon "actual" limb failure...if they advise it than I am changing it!

In all due respect Anthony,,,, :wink: I did have a set break on the Micro, and along with the hardware the only thing Mr. Danny Miller of Horizontal Archery suggested I do,,,, no shims,,, now that was in August so maybe he has changed. That bow did see a few 350 to 370 grain arrows in it's early days,, no more 390 to 412 is what I shoot, and it seems to shoot better with them. But in my talking with him there was no mention, and like I said over 600 shots through the Mad Max this year around 350 to 400 with the Lynx, and over 600 in the Micro, and every time I experiment with another set of limbs,, they look the same to me. I really couldn't see why one would change them if they were not damaged??? But like I say, I don't believe in Excalibur's under 400 grain arrow theory either,,, this just seems to work for me, so I'm stickin to it,,, good luck to those that like em light,,,, :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
Normous

Post by Normous »

Since 1992 I have always liked light and fast arrows out of my Excalibur's for Whitetail hunting and never had an issue , not even one time.
Just my preference and 2 cents.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

In all due respect Anthony,,,, :wink: I did have a set break on the Micro, and along with the hardware the only thing Mr. Danny Miller of Horizontal Archery suggested I do,,,, no shims,,, now that was in August so maybe he has changed. That bow did see a few 350 to 370 grain arrows in it's early days,, no more 390 to 412 is what I shoot, and it seems to shoot better with them. But in my talking with him there was no mention, and like I said over 600 shots through the Mad Max this year around 350 to 400 with the Lynx, and over 600 in the Micro, and every time I experiment with another set of limbs,, they look the same to me. I really couldn't see why one would change them if they were not damaged??? But like I say, I don't believe in Excalibur's under 400 grain arrow theory either,,, this just seems to work for me, so I'm stickin to it,,, good luck to those that like em light,,,, :wink:

....don't know what to say ta ya...it seemed to be a "big" issue with Dr D. at Boofest . He made it clear to me if I changed the limbs to change the shims... and when I ordered "spares" (yes I did :oops: :oops: )...I asked for them and they just sent them (never said, ya don't need them)...soooo, it can't hurt right?...so I guess let's just carry on!

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

amythntr wrote:In all due respect Anthony,,,, :wink: I did have a set break on the Micro, and along with the hardware the only thing Mr. Danny Miller of Horizontal Archery suggested I do,,,, no shims,,, now that was in August so maybe he has changed. That bow did see a few 350 to 370 grain arrows in it's early days,, no more 390 to 412 is what I shoot, and it seems to shoot better with them. But in my talking with him there was no mention, and like I said over 600 shots through the Mad Max this year around 350 to 400 with the Lynx, and over 600 in the Micro, and every time I experiment with another set of limbs,, they look the same to me. I really couldn't see why one would change them if they were not damaged??? But like I say, I don't believe in Excalibur's under 400 grain arrow theory either,,, this just seems to work for me, so I'm stickin to it,,, good luck to those that like em light,,,, :wink:

....don't know what to say ta ya...it seemed to be a "big" issue with Dr D. at Boofest . He made it clear to me if I changed the limbs to change the shims... and when I ordered "spares" (yes I did :oops: :oops: )...I asked for them and they just sent them (never said, ya don't need them)...soooo, it can't hurt right?...so I guess let's just carry on!

It sure won't hurt a darn thing, but I believe the 350 grain being ok is the problem, but Peter erased any evidence we would have had to find that out with Kevin's thread,,,,, but if some think used plastic shims cause breakage by all means,,, roll on,,, and I would never go against Danny!! but I have and can provide evidence how much smnoother quieter and consistent my Micro is with over 400 grain arrows,,, we will see if I ever have another broken limb???
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!