removing the adf on a micro

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

removing the adf on a micro

Post by longbow joe »

I started with a matrix 330 with no adf. Never needed it never had a dry fire. When i got the micro cocked it one morn. In the dark at noon i realized it really wasnt cocked it was in adf.lol glad i didnt get a shot. Did it one other time. Now i got rid of it and cant be happier. I know the risks really dont care. If i had a 405 or 380 probably would have it on. With all of the micros blowin up cocking them a dryfire really isnt quite as worrysome as before. Has anyone else taken their adf off their micro? .. (now im probably gonna get basted like shady n the trigger job!)
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
W.Miguire

Re: removing the adf on a micro

Post by W.Miguire »

It's your bow , if you want to take it off , by all means do it if it makes you happy . but is on the bow for a purpose . JMO.
W.M.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Hey Joe, I say do whatever you want. When Shadytree wanted to swap his ADF for a non-ADF I was the first to make that trade. When the user knows and accepts the "what if..." than by all means tinker away.

I have never heard of that complaint before, seems like it would be obvious if the bow was cocked at the latches vs. leaving it short on the ADF. My beef with the ADF is how much it weighs, not it's user unfriendliness. It's like tying up your shoes after getting used to it, but to each his own.

What interests me the most about your experiment is what will happen if a Micro gets dry fired, because nobody has done it! Of any bow in the new lineup, Micro or Matrix, I'd say the Micro would be the most likely to spontaneously disassemble, that's a lot of draw weight on short limbs. I can say with some confidence and experince that a Matrix 330 and by extension the 310, can shake off a dry fire like nothing, but I still equipped it with the ADF.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I love your wording (spontainesly dissassemble) it seams like if i never had a 330 without it it wouldnt be such n issue. I definately am at least keeping the stock string. Like you said the micro has a considerabley higher draw weight than my 330 matrix thats a good point
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

longbow joe wrote: I definately am at least keeping the stock string. Like you said the micro has a considerabley higher draw weight than my 330 matrix thats a good point
I'm no expert in strings, but since the stock string is made of D97 now and not Excel, I don't think it offers you any advantage in the event of a DF. I wonder if a Flemish would help absorb more of that wasted energy?
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Joe, are you interested in selling or trading your ADF? If you are let me know. Shootme a pm.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

Recently becoming one of those Micro Owners whose limb let loose while cocking I will chime in a little.

In a nutshell...a limb letting loose is caused by what appears to be a possible material glitch. Whereas as a dry fire is caused by a human brain glitch also known as a brain fart.

And as much as brain farts stink when they happen and they eventually will (I've dry fired both my old 355 and current Micro)

That brain fart will smell like Sunday cookies on a warm spring day compared to what will be in your pants when you dry fire your bow without an ADF.

Sometimes you get lucky and all you have happen is the bumpers get destroyed like what happened with my old 355. I was lucky, I also ordered an ADF that same day.

The Micro on the other hand dry fired without an ADF, that would be a very explosive mess IMO.

Again the difference between broken limb vs taking off the ADF things happen with the limbs breaking stinks but it does. however taking the ADF off is making things happen as in you are causing the enviable side effect

But hey...as many people stated it's your life and bow. That's also why I backed out of that ADF trade awhile bsck.
I've got enough serious stuff going on that I need to add aiding someone potentially hurting them self or someone else to the list.

Your call. Your taking responsibility
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I had one on my ten point Titan and didn't like it.
I don't use one on my 355 and don't plan on it.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Tom

Post by Tom »

I know I will probably ruffle a few members with this post but I feel it needs to be said.

The ADF (anti-dry-fire) is and should not be ever needed on a bow. I am old school and was around crossbows before Excalibur started to make crossbows. I learned how to handle a crossbow safely, I had to or the limbs would break. A dryfire ment a broken limb.

A dryfire means you were not safe when handling the crossbow, that you were not paying attention.

If you learn or drive the steps into your brain as a "routine" cock the bow, load the arrow, shoot the bow & and never vary, you will never need one.

Just think, when anyone says that they had a dryfire, they are saying " I was not safe when handling my bow".

For members which state "it is only time before you dryfire your bow" are wrong. Everyone I started shooting crossbows with has never dryfired their bows, mostly because "Safety" was always "demanded" and because if they did, their limbs broke.

Yes, the ADF, for some, is neccessary, but is that not sad.

In my opinion, the ADF, only adds to complicate a "keep it simple" bow. Gives something which might fail and cause a situation which the bow will not fire when you want to.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Shadytree

Post by Shadytree »

Longbow Joe,

I'm with you on the ADF. I'm a real snob for good design and I found the ADF to be an awkward solution at best. I recently swapped mine for a non-ADF so that I could bed the rail to the trigger assembly and so that I can de-cock without having to take my shoes off.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Decocking the ADF is not that painful, putting in a glass eye might be. The Micro will not survive a dry fire, just my 2 cents. It's your bow, and your eye.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bubba

Post by bubba »

My opinion the a.d.f. isn't really an absolute necessity on all Excalibur crossbows.Saying that i also think that it is on the 405,380,355,and without ever shooting one but in theory the most needed would be the mickey mouse 335. That is a bomb just waiting to go boom.. Just a thought.....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

xcaliber wrote:Decocking the ADF is not that painful, putting in a glass eye might be. The Micro will not survive a dry fire, just my 2 cents. It's your bow, and your eye.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Well said xcalibur!
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

If it is a PIA to uncock, go get a short dowel rod in 3/8" diameter to stick under it when decocking. It will fall out once it passes the arrow retainer, and your good to go. I tried it with a short piece of a bolt that got Robin Hooded, works sweet.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Tom, I could not disagree with your entire sentiment more...respectfully. That's great if it's never happened to you. We're not dealing with ideally, we're dealing with reality. The reality is dry fires happen and they happen a lot, and I do believe they happen to or will happen to pretty much everyone who shoots enough....present company and your friends excluded of course. To me it's like having a monitored house alarm or insurance. I don't believe it means someone is being unsafe.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.