interested in feedback re:cold weather gear

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

one shot scott

interested in feedback re:cold weather gear

Post by one shot scott »

It seems im always cold in nov & dec! Im looking to get new gear for the cold months ahead while in in stand and looking to hear feedback from those who are happy with what they currently have

I will be looking into
*a heavy coat/parka.
*Bibs
*and boots.
I don't think I want a one piece coverall. But I suppose I could be persuaded.

Also, anyone have experience with heated coats? Dewalt and Milwaukie both make them, they come in camo as well and although they seem lite, it seems another coat could be warn on top? they are not cheap! but to keep core areas warm I would consider it

I already have thermocell heated insoles :D
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
xcaliber

Re: interested in feedback re:cold weather gear

Post by xcaliber »

I picked up Cabelas premium cold weather underwear, ECWS I think it is, got it at the end of the season a few years ago, WOW. I wear the thin ones with sweat pants, and sweat shirt on the ride to the spot, or you will bust a sweat. I also dress pretty light on the trek in to my spot, and pop the bibs, and coat on when I get there, usually freezing! It has really changed the game for how long I can sit now.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I also recommend insulated gear from Game Hide. Some of the best clothes I have ever had, and the prices are reasonable.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Foxinthehenhaus

Post by Foxinthehenhaus »

On the cold days that I know I will be sitting for long periods I wear a Thermacare Heat Wrap.
The one I used is designed fo the neck / shoulder area.
But I find placing it on lower back level with kidneys I stay toasty for 6 to 8 hrs.
The Neck Shoulder version is just the right size where as the lower back version tends to be a bit too bulky.
plus the shoulder neck version is cheaper and comes in more units in the box.

Plus the most critical part of the body to keep warm which I struggled with for years was keeping my feet warm until I bought these.

http://www.baffin.com/product-p/polam007.htm
Last edited by Foxinthehenhaus on Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

By far the best thing anyone can do for cold weather is to wear some premium undergarments (under armor, dri wear, etc) that wick moisture as well as retain body heat. You'll be extremely surprised by how effective these products are how much better your existing clothing will perform and I'd suggest trying these before buying even more expensive outer garments.

Socks, pants, shirt, and balaclava = heaven

Expensive, but they simply make "old school" clothing a waste of time. You don't overheat or get cold, even after a long hike to the stand.

I even started wearing driwear long sleeves under my hi vis along with driwear socks at work doing construction. You'd think long sleeves would make you hotter in the summer, but the material speeds evaporation which in turns makes you feel cooler and also keeps you dry. It's also nice not having my arms burnt to a crisp from the sun. The socks keep your feet bone dry all day regardless of how much you sweat.

Best thing ever for both hot and cold temps!
Waif

Post by Waif »

Bibs and a parka will go far to keep kidneys warm..
Keep your head warm on stand,neck too, like wrists they are natural radiators..
Keep the furnace going by feeding it. Hot soup or stew or chili's.
Deer might show up more too if you are balancing a bowl on a knee and a spoon halfway to your mouth. :lol:
A plain pancake or three with peanut butter, brown sugar and bacon, rolled up for transport,ummmm.
I get a bit naughty on the fats in winter but seem to not gain weight from them in the cold and my blood allows for them still .
A down vest if kept dry, helps me a lot in bitter cold.
Wool is a favorite of mine for midlayers. Keep layers loose for added air space insulation.
If that don't do anything for you a sleeping bag of safe color and a portable heat source should.
A couple nuked potatoes then wrapped in foil will heat a while,and be eaten if real hungry.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I've hunted in severe cold (-40 before the wind chill) and I can tell you that if you're sitting you will get cold. The difference between higher and lower effective clothing is duration. The most effective method I've found is multi layering. I start with a thin then heavy gauge base layer, heavy fleece, then my Arctic Shield parka and bib. The big thick moon styles boots and heavy fleece style tooke. I put hot shots in my pockets and the stick on style foot warmers on my socks. I find I can outlast my hunting buddies but it's only a matter of time before the cold penetrates. Keep in mind this is sitting unmoving in a blind or on stand.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Keep in mind when I hunt it is from predawn to 1/2 hour after sunset. I stay up in the stand all day unless I shoot something. All season long... I pack for it and dress accordingly...

So..... here is my list of clothing and boots..

My outerwear consists of a parka and bibs from Day One Camouflage in a very heavy fleece insulation, windstopper and rain barrier...
I have two middle layers and wear them together when it gets COLD!!!!!

My middle layer (#1) is a scent blocker upper and bottoms.
My laye (#2)r below that is the CABELA'S E.C.W.C.S. BASE LAYER

The base layer against my skin consists of Under Armour Men's Evolution Scent-Control.

for socks I use Cabela's + Icebreaker Merino Men's Heavy-Cushion Over-The-Calf Socks

And against my skin on my feet I use Cabela's Men's Midcalf Polypropylene Liner Socks

I use whatever thin nylon type stretchy camo gloves you get at Home Depot...Hands don't really get cold other than while climbing into and out of the stand and for that I use a leather glove

On my head is a full face mask and covered with a very thick fleece beanie

I also use a a fleece dickie around my neck...

For boots I use the Muck Woody Elite boots.. I use these all season and they are incredibly comfortable...

Will also bring a supply of hand and foot warmers too just for insurance and in case
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Under Armour is junk for cold weather. Get good quality merino wool made by smartwool or ulfrotte there is no better first layer. Stuff wicks and keeps you warm when wet. The best clothing to keep you warm that I have found to date is King of Mountain wool - not cheap but second to none. High quality down is also hard to beat but very expensive and no good if it gets wet. The wool will save you in wet weather. The down I'd suggest is Northface Expedition series - Everest line if your wallet is deep. Both systems mentioned will go well over $1,000.00 mark.

The next best, cheaper option if you are sitting is the sleeping bag. Sit on or in stand and pull your sleeping bag on over your boots up to your armpits. Again a shitty bag from Walmart is not what I recommend. Get a bag well rated for much colder than you hunt in. There is a commercial hunting version of such called the Heater Body suit I believe - Jim Shockey pushes these as be all and end all for cold weather.
The Baffin boots pictured in above post are great as well as Cabelas Iditerod series or Lacrosse Snow Kings. All of these are pack boots and the advantage and MUST with these is to pull liners everyday/night and dry them out. Moisture from feet sweating makes your feet cold. In extreme conditions these boots with chemical warmer taped to on top of your foot by toes is the cats ass.
I hunt in minus 40 to minus 50 every year hunting timber wolves in the far north. It's keep warm or die up there.
FORVOLS

Post by FORVOLS »

You in some cold land to begin with. For me layering has been the best thing, but staying flexible and able to move and warm cost money. Your extremities will be the hardest part of this to solve.

I don't like heated garments of any type what if a wire broke/or battery is dead etc and I don't find out until I been in the stand 50miles away from home? Buy good quality clothing and layers. Then you hot you can take something off you cold you can add. But that method aint cheap...cause you still want the flexibility This year will be my second with quality hunting clothing for wind water and cold. Last year was a blessing compared to my previous yrs of bargain rack clothing..remember feet face and hands..

ETA: I primarily still hunt out in the woods or fields and not from a shelter. So staying warm and dry is important to me and my hunting day.
MATRIX 355
HAWKE XB1
Trigger Tech Trigger
20in BEE
Various broadheads
Quick, accurate, simple
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

My under roo's & some wool socks...it MIGHT get below 25 degrees once or twice all season. :D :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
When it does i dress accordingly. 8)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
wabi

Post by wabi »

For me the #1 priority for keeping warm is a good pair of boots!
I buy good insulated rubber boots a size or two larger than I normally wear, and wear heavy wool socks with them. If my feet get cold, I'm done for the day. :oops: :roll:

Normally I dress in layers, and I used to be a big fan of wool, but in recent years I've found heavy PolarFleece is as good.

If it's really cold insulated coveralls as a top layer are OK, but seldom a necessity here in Ohio. Usually the only time I really need them is the January muzzleloader season. (And I try to fill the freezer before then so I don't have to set all day in the cold. :lol: :lol: :lol: )
wabi
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

That is a lot of good information. Thanks for the replys
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

After looking into Baffin boots, it appears that their hdqtrs are a mere 10 mins away. How about that? I will be looking into them for sure
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Forget wat they are saying .normal oct. Clothing with 12 specially placed chemical handwarmers thatl do it!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.