....just got my first pistol permit in Joisey (help!)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

....just got my first pistol permit in Joisey (help!)

Post by amythntr »

....I just got my first pistol permit in Joisey...took less than 3 weeks (go figure in this Obama state)....

....Would like a little help with ideas for a possible selection of what to buy....looking for something small, yet powerful and fun to shoot...already told the Mrs. that I would like to take her and do some shooting....

....awaiting your suggestions (which I am sure will vary)....as a piece of information already MCS (Mike) has pointed me to the Glock 42 and 43 380 and 9 mill....

Anthony :)

EDITED 9.7.15

....well after much thought, advice and suggestions by everyone who chirped in...I have put a deposit on a Barretta PX4 Storm Compact in 9mm...
I have had a chance to handle it (not shoot it) and the feel in my hand was like a glove...I like the fact that it was double stack and had the ambidextrous safety, has few moving parts and is used in a great many places in police and military throughout Europe...(I swear it had nothing to do with the fact that it's an Italian Manufactured Pistola :lol: :lol: )

....The final thing to help with my decision was two different people that I spoke to had recently purchased the same firearm and said they absolutely love it...

....Like with any other thing related to hunting, shooting, firearms and the outdoors I am sure there will be more to come...

Last edited by amythntr on Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
georgiaboy

Re: ....just got my first pistol permit in Joisey (help!)

Post by georgiaboy »

Congrats!!!! :D :D :D
I carry the Glock 42 in .380 with a Versa carry holster. :D
If it's really warm i carry my Keltec in .380...or as i call her my 9 ounces of thunder!! :lol:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

georgiaboy wrote:Congrats!!!! :D :D :D
I carry the Glock 42 in .380 with a Versa carry holster. :D
If it's really warm i carry my Keltec in .380...or as i call her my 9 ounces of thunder!! :lol:

....thanks from your "northerer" confederate brother! (is that an oxymoron? :lol: :lol: :shock: :mrgreen:

....seems like MCS has me heading in the right direction!

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Waif

Post by Waif »

Shoot some samples. Try em out.
If it don't fit your hand you won't shoot it as well or enjoy it like one that does.
Different grips can save a relationship sometimes but why not fit right to start with?
Consider portability at that time also.
I own a mix but a .38spcl, revolver goes out with me the most often.
A .357 mag. revolver goes with for deer season and most anyone enjoys shooting it at the range with .38's fed in it. I just be sure it's cleaned before loading .357's again.
I like the ease of use and lack of picky diets in a wheelgun, but concealment is not as easy.
Trade off and compromises will be individually more specific the more you try out different weapons.
Action style,grips,weight and mass, caliber,ammo availability if you don't reload ect.
One shot stops on humans requires certain criteria more often than not.
I got rid of a .44 mag. cause it was not accurate for me( certain anatomy parts seemed to pucker and cause a flinch while rocking the wheelchair backwards)
though it packed a good wallop.
A proper bullet helps but caliber figures in there too, depending on purpose.
The .22 gets more practice and shoots great, but is not first choice for defense due to availability of other choices..
Popularity of use of certain calibers in military and civilian forces today are not always based on effectiveness on live targets, yet some are based on effectiveness on non target(back ground non combatants or property) circumstances.
Last edited by Waif on Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

The only thing i don't like about the 42 is nothing for my pinkie finger to grip when holding it...i bought the mag extension's, just can't get them on!! :lol:
Guess i'll break down an carry it to someone who know's what their doing. :?
Reasonably accurate, but very dependable. Not picky about what i feed her. When your a#$ is on the line dependability is everything...you pull the trigger and i promise you she goes bang! :mrgreen:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

My carry gun is a Springfield XD 4" .45 w 15rd mag,
Lots of knockdown power and very accurate.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats Anthony. Glock, Springfield Arms, Kimber, all good choices.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

amythntr wrote:....I just got my first pistol permit in Joisey...took less than 3 weeks (go figure in this Obama state)....

....Would like a little help with ideas for a possible selection of what to buy....looking for something small, yet powerful and fun to shoot...already told the Mrs. that I would like to take her and do some shooting....

....awaiting your suggestions (which I am sure will vary)....as a piece of information already MCS (Mike) has pointed me to the Glock 42 and 43 380 and 9 mill....

Anthony, is this a permit to own or is this a carry permit? Not up on your state laws? May help in suggestive ideas..
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

One of those gold Desert Eagle .50 cals is just the gun for Jersey. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Hunt it on Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I got my pa carry permit. As soon as i cross the da delaware river ino jersey im a criminal. This countrys got some issues "the united" states....... a tiny ruger lcr .38 special fits in a pocket great simple carry gun
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
munch

Post by munch »

Anthony 9mm is very cheap to shoot not much recoil .if your just playing around you can pick up a s@w mp9mm with range kit gives you a couple clips holster and an up lula to load mags for $6 to $7 hundred .if your going to shoot a lot no matter what you buy check out the up lula you wont regret buying one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI1UqGPAf8M
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

YouTube best reviews on guns, look for "hickok45"
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
R4fan

Post by R4fan »

Congratulations on getting your permit in 3 weeks. That must be a new record in NJ. :mrgreen: For the price, you can't go wrong with the Glock. Are you using this gun for self-defense or for just target shooting? ...or most likely both?

Make sure you get one that fits your hand. I like the Glock 19, but the finger grooves stick out enough and my fingers don't line up, so they jab me in the middle of my fingers.

I recently held a Glock 43. It's nice flat gun that is great for a backup gun, or concealed carry if you need something thin. Other than that, I wouldn't buy one as my primary handgun when you can get a Glock 26, 19, or 17. As for the 380's, I was never a fan especially now that you can get a 9mm handgun that is just as compact as a .380. Plus you can usually pick up 9mm cheaper, and I'd choose that over .380 for any defensive use.

I carry a Glock 17 every day, except for the summer months when I switch to a Glock 26 which I usually carry in Thunderwear or Smartcarry, which is great for carrying while wearing a t-shirt and shorts.

Since it's the People's Republic of NJ, you're limited to 15 round magazines so there's no point in getting a Glock 17 (unless it fits your hand perfectly) since you can only get 10rd magazines for it in this state. I'd either get a Glock 19 (15 rounds) or the Glock 26 (10 rounds). The nice thing about the 26, is you can use the larger capacity magazines in it. I carry my 26 with 19 magazines in it and eliminates the pinky hanging underneath if that bothers you.

If I had to choose one I would say the 26 if you're looking for a small gun/easy to conceal, and it has the capability of using larger magazines.
Sam, just Sam...

Post by Sam, just Sam... »

amythntr wrote:....I just got my first pistol permit in Joisey...took less than 3 weeks (go figure in this Obama state)....

Several of the local gun shops near me have a selection of guns that you can "rent" for like 5.00 to shoot on their ranges. I would do some research and decide what you want to try, then go rent a few of them and try it! I LOVE my Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm, it's the subcompact, sweet gun. Glocks are UGLY, but great guns. My wife had a .38 special for a while (revolver) easy, simple to shoot, tiny. I also have a Keltec, not a great gun, but it's cheap. I would avoid .45 caliber, the bullets are just so pricey and they are pretty bulky to carry. If you really want ultimate fun and ultimate low cost. Get a 1911 .22. This is just like the 1911 that Springfield arms makes, but it's in a .22 bullet. You literally can go to the range all day and not finish a box of ammo. .22 is kind of hard to find.

Just do some research, buy a good gun. Try to pay attention to the bad reviews (gun broke, bad customer service etc...), but at the same time don't listen to the people who just can't be made happy.
Titus 2:11-14, 2 Cor 5:11-21,
Micro, not much done to it, pretty awesome as is.
Sam
Buddyshort

Post by Buddyshort »

I have a Ruger 45 acp on my night stand, but i use the S&W M&P Shield 40 cal for carry. Shoots very accurate. My wife loves her ruger lcp 380 in her purse. As someone has mentioned look up Hicock 45 on you yube, he does some great reviews