Micro quills and replacements

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mississippi1

Micro quills and replacements

Post by Mississippi1 »

Ok.. I asked this in another thread that's not getting much traffic now.. Are 100 grain broad heads too light for the stock quills? Why are some people shooting 15.5 arrows out of their micros? What weight arrow should I have for the 100 grain heads? I'd like to keep my speed at high as I can and still get decent down range energy at 40 yards. What arrows do yall recommend for hunting vs target shooting?
Micro 335 Camo... Soon to be tinkered!

By the pricking of my thumbs... Something Wicked this way comes...
bubba

Re: Micro quills and replacements

Post by bubba »

Mississippi1 Welcome to the forum, And congrats on your Excalibur. I personally get my arrows custom made. And Jerry at South Shore Archery 1-813-545-0754 will take care of you nicely with decent prices, and complete satisfaction... Also in the Trader section here we have some good arrow builders here... And no the 100 grain heads are not to light. As long as you are over the 350 grain min, on tour total arrow weight you are good to go. But just about all shoot heavier. Total arrow weight.. I for one shoot between 368 grain to 385 grain total arrows. depending on how you set your arrows up at...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

I'm currently shooting 15 1/2 in arrows (in this case Black Eagle Executioners) with 100 Gr field points and broadheads. I am also using ignitor nocks which weigh 39Gr and blazer vanes. Total weight 405Gr. If I were to shoot regular plastic nocks my total weight would be roughly 370ish Gr wise.

But I prefer lighted nocks and the Ignitors seem to balance things out so...

As to why I'm shooting such short arrows. It's because with the 16 1/2 in ones, the broadheads were sticking out past the stirrup and I didn't want that so I had them cut down.

As to accuracy goes, my set up off my tripod was sinking them in the spiders of my spyderweb target like darts.

Once I get her back ile be practicing more off both my tripod and different bipods at different ranges but only out to 40 yards. Both to break her back in pardon the pun and get re acclimated for different shooting positions/scenarios.
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

The only thing I have to say is that with the aluminum front inserts and 100 grain heads, the FOC may be a bit erratic at longer distances. The short arrows most are using have brass inserts up front weighing 92 grains or more. It's not so much the total weight but how it is distributed for the length of arrow.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Mississippi1

Post by Mississippi1 »

Do you want the bolts to be weight forward if possible?

bubba

Post by bubba »

Yep as Dan the man said.. F.O.C. is very important for the ultimate flight of the arrow. And any of the builders, i'm sure will make you aware of this when you get your arrows made. Happy Trails..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Mississippi1

Post by Mississippi1 »

So who all on here makes arrows to sell?

bubba

Post by bubba »

Xcalibur Dan, Big John. They can be found in the trader section. Both make extra fine arrows that aim to please. P.M. them. They i'm sure will respond...And there is also South Shore Archery and Jerry, look him up on the web or give him a call 1-813-545-0754. Good luck..
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

StormDragon wrote:I'm currently shooting 15 1/2 in arrows (in this case Black Eagle Executioners) with 100 Gr field points and broadheads. I am also using ignitor nocks which weigh 39Gr and blazer vanes. Total weight 405Gr. If I were to shoot regular plastic nocks my total weight would be roughly 370ish Gr wise.

But I prefer lighted nocks and the Ignitors seem to balance things out so...

As to why I'm shooting such short arrows. It's because with the 16 1/2 in ones, the broadheads were sticking out past the stirrup and I didn't want that so I had them cut down.

As to accuracy goes, my set up off my tripod was sinking them in the spiders of my spyderweb target like darts.

Once I get her back ile be practicing more off both my tripod and different bipods at different ranges but only out to 40 yards. Both to break her back in pardon the pun and get re acclimated for different shooting positions/scenarios.
....Ed, did you steal my recipe or did I steal yours :shock: :shock: ...either way is fine and the darn setup works....gotta love those Ignitors :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

I am a little anal when it comes to FOC. On my 15.5" BE's, I use a 110 brass insert with 20gr add on to offset the added weight of my ignitors. Arrow is a bit heavy but I seldom ever shoot over 30 yards. After having hunted for 50 years with a vertical bow, I am a little anal when it comes to distance too. 30 yards is my limit. I really like deer at 18yds. lol. This little Nightmare is awesomely accurate with this combo. As is, these arrows pass through so quick they travel forty or fifty yards past the deer, would probably go farther if not for hitting dirt and rocks. Needless to say, I don't salvage many Rage heads. Cheers
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

xcaliber wrote:The only thing I have to say is that with the aluminum front inserts and 100 grain heads, the FOC may be a bit erratic at longer distances. The short arrows most are using have brass inserts up front weighing 92 grains or more. It's not so much the total weight but how it is distributed for the length of arrow.

...I personally have been using the 80g brass with the 15.5" ZS and I believe my FOC is around 17% including the Ignitor in the Caboose and a 100G Spitfire in the command module....

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

amythntr wrote:
xcaliber wrote:The only thing I have to say is that with the aluminum front inserts and 100 grain heads, the FOC may be a bit erratic at longer distances. The short arrows most are using have brass inserts up front weighing 92 grains or more. It's not so much the total weight but how it is distributed for the length of arrow.

...I personally have been using the 80g brass with the 15.5" ZS and I believe my FOC is around 17% including the Ignitor in the Caboose and a 100G Spitfire in the command module....

I like the way you talk! :lol: :lol:
You're getting to be quite the Arrow maker, very nice! :wink:
Sam, just Sam...

Post by Sam, just Sam... »

Mississippi1 wrote:So who all on here makes arrows to sell?
I bought a dozen quills from Wyvern, good quality, great price.
Sam
Titus 2:11-14, 2 Cor 5:11-21,
Micro, not much done to it, pretty awesome as is.
Sam
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

16.5" front bushed Spynal Tapps w'85 grain inserts and 100 grain Slick tricks,,,, because they work out to 50 yards,,,,,,, :wink:

here they are @ 40 w/ field point's,,,, the Slicks shoot just as good and same poi, After ruining 3 of these, I wont shoot groups anymore!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Brave man there folks! :lol: Nice shootin! 8)