Matrix 380 - FOC - broadhead weight?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R4fan

Matrix 380 - FOC - broadhead weight?

Post by R4fan »

I have a Matrix 380, and am just reading on FOC (front of center) for arrows (which is all new to me). I currently have on order from South Shore a dozen 18" zombie slayers with 92g brass inserts. So far I'm planning on using a 100 grain broadhead.

I came across an article about the Excalibur Boltcutter 150 Grain 3-Blade Broadheads. I'm not looking to buy this broadhead in particular, but was concerned with the review and heaver broadheads.

"This broadhead is designed for high speed hunting crossbows. Even at extreme range it is very accurate when used with the right type of arrow. The Boltcutter is designed with high strength stainless steel which enables it to endure the hardest hit and deliver maximum performance. The 3-pack broadheads are 150 grain, 1-1/16”.

Excalibur tested speeds of the broadheads and found that with speeds over 300 fps, down range accuracy decreased at distances over 25 yards when 100 grain broadheads were used. To solve this problem they increased the “front of center” balance on the arrow. To do this they could increase the broadhead weight, or increase the front insert weight. They opted to increase the weight of the broadband. This provides the option of using lightweight mechanical broadheads which gives maximum speed, or Boltcutter broadheads which provide accuracy and durability with their arrows."

I know everyone had their own preference, but is it better to use a heavier broadhead if you are shooting at deer over 25 yards? Can I use 125 grain broadheads in my arrows, or am I stuck with 100 grain since that is the weight of the broadhead I specified when I ordered my arrows? I guess the idea is to (from the article) is to use lightweight mechanical broadheads for speed (though you can get mechanicals that weigh 125 grains instead of 100) or you can use a heavier (125-150 grain?) broadhead for longer range accuracy?

I'm still new to all of this, and just trying to figure out what's the "best" for shots from 20 up to 60+ yards, and the light vs. heavy broadheads? :shock:
longbow joe

Re: Matrix 380 - FOC - broadhead weight?

Post by longbow joe »

With that brass insert you will have plenty of foc the 125 or 100 grain broadhead of your choice will /should fly fine the 25 grain difference between the two is minimal. I wouldnt go any higher in broadhead weight than 125 grain. Say you were to pick a heavy broadhead like a foc they weigh like 170 grain you wouldnt need the brass insert then. Theres no reason why you cant use a heavy (170+grain) broad head with the brass insert but it becomes overkill n the bolt will drop like a rock. If your gonna shoot 30 yards its not gonna matter much but if you wanna stretch 60 yards as mentioned the 125 100 grain is the ticket . Good luck kill a biggun n post a pic for us!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

I use same arrow setup you have and 100gr G5 Strikers out to 90 yards from my 380.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....I shoot an 18" ZS, with a 92g brass insert, 100g SP, lumenok, blazers and a wrap and get deadly results out of it that I will not change!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
R4fan

Post by R4fan »

Thanks for the info. I had a hard time deciding on broadheads, and didn't want to overlook anything.

I was going to try out the NAP Spitfire XXX, but it seems everyone has the regular version and not the specific one for crossbows. No worries, I can try them later. I ended up ordering some Ramcat Crossbow 100 grain broadheads to try out. :D
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I shoot 18" zom, 92grm. inserts 2" red wht. @blu. blazers , and lum nocks , with 125 grizzly slick tricks . they fly like darts . JMO.
W.M.