BEST MECHANICAL BROADHEADS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tomcat

Re: BEST MECHANICAL BROADHEADS

Post by tomcat »

timbikeride wrote:I used the older model 100 grain Rocket Steelhead. Not that I feel they are the best, or even better than any other head, but I have a truckload of them and they seem to fly good. I think a lot of broadhead magic is marketing to get us to keep buying new and "improved" broadheads in search of the magic bullet.
I too swear by these. They DO IN FACT fly to the same POI as my FPs out of all my bows to 60 yds(furthest tested).
There are better heads out there, but I believe they have the best balance between penetration and accuracy. They've blown through every deer I've shot even on a 63 yd shot with a 45# compound. They have a pretty mild cutting diameter with a cut on contact chisel point, so it's kinda a no brainer why. The ferrules are steel and last forever( I have 1 thats been through 8 deer and 2 turkeys), the blades bend a bit on bone and sometimes chip edges, but never break(like Rages).

As with everything they too have some negatives. They use a washer to stop the blades from folding back onto the insert, and sometimes the blades hit hard bone etc and the washer isn't enough to stop the blades from leaving imprints in the insert. For this I simply touch up my insert face with an Arrow Squaring Device to smooth it out. Another issue is that New/Replacement blades are never as sharp as they should be (IMO), but again they can easily be touched up.
This design might be "old school" but IMHO they are still one of the best heads on the market.
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1