flemish string scope issues?????????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

8ptbuk

Re: flemish string scope issues?????????

Post by 8ptbuk »

When you said you were missing your target completely I thought you meant your arrow was going completely over the top of everything ! Lol . If your just 3/4 inches high , Then yeah . probably just shooting faster .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

If you're dead on at 20y and off at longer ranges that doesn't point to a faulty scope IMO, it points to the speed you picked up going from the Excel string to a fast flight material. The EXOs picked up speed when going from endless loop to Flemish because the endless strings were made of a slower, heavier material. The 3-4" off at 40-50y that you describe wouldn't be from the boost in speed, it was probably just you. Are you shooting from a rest, in near windless conditions? Are you indexing your arrows so that the same vane points down? These little factors if not controlled could result in the inaccuracy you are finding.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
gregtsuperfly

Post by gregtsuperfly »

racking up points wrote:If you're dead on at 20y and off at longer ranges that doesn't point to a faulty scope IMO, it points to the speed you picked up going from the Excel string to a fast flight material. The EXOs picked up speed when going from endless loop to Flemish because the endless strings were made of a slower, heavier material. The 3-4" off at 40-50y that you describe wouldn't be from the boost in speed, it was probably just you. Are you shooting from a rest, in near windless conditions? Are you indexing your arrows so that the same vane points down? These little factors if not controlled could result in the inaccuracy you are finding.

Yes I'm shooting from a rest and yeah there was no wind today and no I'm not indexing the arrows but I will try tomorrow and see what happens?? I will also try to put the old string on and see what happens?
Axiom smf
Flemish string
S5s
Dissaptor bars
Easton black max
Excalibur Xact mechanicals
gregtsuperfly

Post by gregtsuperfly »

8ptbuk wrote:When you said you were missing your target completely I thought you meant your arrow was going completely over the top of everything ! Lol . If your just 3/4 inches high , Then yeah . probably just shooting faster .

Sorry lol my target has five bullseyes on it I'm aiming at the top bullseye lol so at 3-4 inches the bolts flew right over the target. I'm sorry I should've been a bit more specific
Axiom smf
Flemish string
S5s
Dissaptor bars
Easton black max
Excalibur Xact mechanicals
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Just for the heck prior to switching back strings, try sighting in at 30yds with the crosshair. May still be close if not on at 20yds? See where she is on the longer yards. Good luck...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

gregtsuperfly wrote:
8ptbuk wrote:When you said you were missing your target completely I thought you meant your arrow was going completely over the top of everything ! Lol . If your just 3/4 inches high , Then yeah . probably just shooting faster .

Sorry lol my target has five bullseyes on it I'm aiming at the top bullseye lol so at 3-4 inches the bolts flew right over the target. I'm sorry I should've been a bit more specific
Ah yes flying over I was thinking more like 8 to 10" aiming at the center bull of most targets,,,,, Then I also missed the Axiom, which does use a much slower dacron string from the factory,,,, my comments were on the Micro and Matrix series. Those string are closer in performance to the Flemish strings, although I prefer a slower 40 strand flemish those series of bows, still @ 10 fps those bows are ready to hunt out to 40 yards with any string I have after a change!!

I would call Danny Miller and see if an upgrade could be had like was mentioned earlier,, the variable is the way to go, to get 10 yard aiming points at any speed!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

[quote="wildcatter] Then I also missed the Axiom, which does use a much slower dacron string from the factory,,,, my comments were on the Micro and Matrix series. Those string are closer in performance to the Flemish strings, although I prefer a slower 40 strand flemish those series of bows, still @ 10 fps those bows are ready to hunt out to 40 yards with any string I have after a change!! [/quote]

Your 40 strand string is made of............... I expect Rhino or something similar? 40 strands of D97 or F10 I would think is way too thick.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

nchunterkw wrote: Your 40 strand string is made of............... I expect Rhino or something similar? 40 strands of D97 or F10 I would think is way too thick.
I'm not a string maker so not 100% possitive, but I believe the Rhino material is also larger diameter?
40 strand is probably from another material?
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

nchunterkw wrote:[quote="wildcatter] Then I also missed the Axiom, which does use a much slower dacron string from the factory,,,, my comments were on the Micro and Matrix series. Those string are closer in performance to the Flemish strings, although I prefer a slower 40 strand flemish those series of bows, still @ 10 fps those bows are ready to hunt out to 40 yards with any string I have after a change!!
Your 40 strand string is made of............... I expect Rhino or something similar? 40 strands of D97 or F10 I would think is way too thick.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

The factory string weights 97 grains on the Micro
Not sure about the material but the 40 strand is a Boo string, I just tell Dan I want a heavy string and could care less about speed, more about forgiveness. with a 5" serving it weighs 123 grains!!

Vixenmasters is a D97 string has 30 strands and has over 6 3/4" serving, and weights 131 grains,

Danny Millers string is 26 strands I believe and weighs 108 with the 5" servings
these are all for the Micro,

the Matrix strings are 110 grain for the factory string.
40 strand from Dan on the Boo string and 5" serving that weighs 136 grains.

Vixenmasters FF+ with 32 strands weighs 136 grains but has a 6 3/4" serving great string and great life and very economical,

Danny Millers weighs 120 grains and uses the 5" serving

like I say I can switch between any of them and am ready to hunt without changing POI out to 40 yards as far as I have checked them. All give me great serving life and tame my bows as far as noise and shot shock, and 5 or 8 fps ain't going to be noticeable unless you see it on an LCD screen.... But I can sure hear and feel it, on the Matrix 380 and the Micro!! These are all as close as I count on the other strings that have been shot quite a bit, so I could be of 2 maybe 4 strands on the count, but think I'm correct, the makers can verify it!! main thing is that are all heavier than the endless loop and even it shoots where the others do!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Your numbers all sound right to me....

I said you 40 strand was probably something like Rhino - but I meant Brownell Xcel or BCY-X or similar.

D97 - F10 - Rhino are all in the 0.014" to 0.015" diameter range
FF+, XS etc are 0.012" to 0.013"
Xcel, BCY-X are in the 0.011" to 0.012" range.

So you scale the number of strands up and down accordingly. It's a game between string weight and diameter. Too thin and you will see partial dryfires with the string slipping under the arrow.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I am totally going to assist in hijacking this thread. :D

I used to like heavy, 40-strand Boo stings in XS2. But now I shoot my bows loud and proud with 24 strand F-10 on the 330 and 28 strand F-10 on the heavy hitters. I honestly don't hear any difference between them and my deer are just as dead, maybe even deader? :lol: The lighter strings are obviously a few fps faster.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

racking up points wrote: my deer are just as dead, maybe even deader?

Love this.. :lol: :lol:
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I like to feel the smoother shot and if I thought there was any benefit in 20 or 30 fps I would go for it. I've spent the better part of my 61 years proving that is the last thing that matters, and for the past 20 years,,,, that there are a lot of other things to worry about that matter more. The heavier arrow and string is definitely noticeable,,,, probably why I get so many,,,,mostly younger shooters,,,, telling me man thats quiet for a crossbow,,

As for 10 even 23 feet per second making a difference, never happen and the only way it can be noticed is on a chronograph screen, if you are sighted in with a Micro shooting 335 fps and misjudge a deer by 5 yards at 50 yards you will be 7.1" low, mine actually shot 336 w/factory string.

I shoot a 412 grain instead @ 312 fps, if I misjudge at that 50 range 5 yards I will be 8.3" low and, less than 1 1/4" at 55 yards and it will take it a whole 4/100ths of second longer to get their, I take the 60 grain heavier arrow and a 40 grain heavier string,,, I will take the benefits of the smoother shooting bow every time,,, just out of personal pleasure... but their are more benefits than that most fail to test for, thinking about just justifying needless speed.

The heavy arrow is where I loose all but 4 fps, of the 23 fps, but what I gain is 4# KE, the farther out you go the more that matters, but even more important is, with a 16.5" 412 grain arrows moving slower in any wind, I am blown off course way less than the 350 grain 15" quill does!!! The quill drifts well over 2" farther in a mild 10 mph side breeze at 40 yards, twice what I give up by shooting a 62 grain heavier arrow in trajectory!! I can control what I am dropping, but without wind flags any close obstruction can well be a miss in hunting situation!!!

I assure anybody sight your bow in at 50 yards and see if you can tell the 4 fps you lose anyway you can lose it, without changing FOC of your arrow, it can't be seen on a target at that range, I'll take the noticeably smoother quieter and closer hitting in real world conditions of a conservative higher power setup, any day before I worry about 20 or 30 fps. And yes I have proven this with several different bows and arrow combinations. Inside 40 even 50 yards you're just fooling yourself!!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

nchunterkw wrote:Your numbers all sound right to me....

I said you 40 strand was probably something like Rhino - but I meant Brownell Xcel or BCY-X or similar.

D97 - F10 - Rhino are all in the 0.014" to 0.015" diameter range
FF+, XS etc are 0.012" to 0.013"
Xcel, BCY-X are in the 0.011" to 0.012" range.

So you scale the number of strands up and down accordingly. It's a game between string weight and diameter. Too thin and you will see partial dryfires with the string slipping under the arrow.
Yes I agree Keith, I realize all the combinations taken into account and why I mentioned them. The servings are all nearly identical in finished dia. as is weight when served longer than the Boo. There are so many good string makers I just tell em what I want to end up with unless buying Danny's Strings that are considered factory flemish or endless loop.

The one thing I have also tested and believe in many cases even increases accuracy is the use of Firenock the D2 is made for the excalibur matrix and Micro. I pretty much quit building any arrows with flats anymore. Not because I worry about partial dri fires, but on stand I spend far less time worrying about the arrow being against the string, and in the dark when I load it I know my indexed arrows can only be indexed with the right cock vane down when I feel the string attached to the knock, and I know it will stay there. But after owning a Scorpyd and a blowtech I will never again shoot a wimpy string!!! or compound..... :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

You need to upgrade your scope to one that has a speed ring. My neighbor had the same issue with his axiom.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String