half moon nocks????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gregtsuperfly

half moon nocks????

Post by gregtsuperfly »

Can you use half moon nock bolts with an excalibur crossbow?? I know that they recommend flat nocks. I'm just curious to see everyone's opinion
Axiom smf
Flemish string
S5s
Dissaptor bars
Easton black max
Excalibur Xact mechanicals
Normous

Re: half moon nocks????

Post by Normous »

Go flat is where it's at when choosing to pair arrows to Excaliburs. If you have some half moons I would grind the flat and square them first before shooting.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
galamb

Post by galamb »

I sure hope so since I have been using them for the past 5 or 6 years.

I had a couple partial dry fires when I first switched to a flemish string. The flat plastic nocks on bolt I was shooting at the time were maybe too smooth/slippery, whatever, that the string would get "under" the nock.

After two partial dry fires I swapped out the nocks for moon nocks and have never had another issue since.

Yes, I have that uber-cumbersome job of having to actually make sure that the cock vane is down, but that's only a problem if I'm trying to do some "rapid fire" at a deer which has stood perfectly still after missing him with the first shot :lol:

Seriously, having shot both flat nocks initially (for 2 or 3 years) and then moon nocks since (with my Excal, my two Horton's which predated my Excal shoot moons) I see "zero Advantage or Detraction" from one to the other.

I can not see a situation where I would go back to flat nocks - in fact, they are the only nocks that have given me any issue at all with my Excalibur bow - I have never had a problem with moons...
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Never had a problem with flat nocks on either of my xbows.
And heve heard that if the moon nocks are not perfectly lined up they can damage your string.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

I've shot both type nocks with no problems at all....
SEW

Post by SEW »

I, also, shoot both kinds of Nocks. Moons for the entire first year (well over 1000 shots). Looking at the physics of the situation I think an Excalibur "can" shoot a flat nock where many others can't. The string has to be pretty well centered on the arrow to shoot a flat nock and should present no problem with moon nocks.
Howeverm be aware that some moon nocks can be sharp (mine were ) and need gently rounded. All of my newer arrows are flat nocks.
fredd

Post by fredd »

Excal requires flat .Wonder how someone's warranty would work when they explain to excal's tech department that they shot the bow had a missfire and she blew up and also i was using half moon nocks and not the flat that excal recomended am i still covered. AH NOPE. If it say flat use flat.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I don't think it is good advice to tell someone new to crossbows to shoot something other than what the bow was intended to shoot.

ie. Your bow could probably shoot 340gr arrows, but it is not recommended.

Someone who is new to crossbows would be more likely to index the nock incorrectly and that would cause a partial dry fire. I have never heard of a flat nock causing a dry fire. I don't see or hear any advantage to using a half-moon nock either. But to each his/her own.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Boo

Post by Boo »

The use of flat nocks in reality is freedom from using something that's a pain and something that brings along a potential hazard. Moon nocks can easily be indexed wrong causing pretty much a full dry fire and can in some bows, cause poor accuracy by causing the front part of the arrow lift too early.
A really good alternative is capture or semi-capture nocks. I use them on my bows that require moon nicks after blowing up a couple of bows :mrgreen:
There are some small advantages to capture nocks but for me the convenience outweighs the advantages. Moon nocks certainly suck.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Boo wrote:The use of flat nocks in reality is freedom from using something that's a pain and something that brings along a potential hazard. Moon nocks can easily be indexed wrong causing pretty much a full dry fire and can in some bows, cause poor accuracy by causing the front part of the arrow lift too early.
A really good alternative is capture or semi-capture nocks. I use them on my bows that require moon nicks after blowing up a couple of bows :mrgreen:
There are some small advantages to capture nocks but for me the convenience outweighs the advantages. Moon nocks certainly suck.
Almost bought some capture nocks the other day to use for practice. You got any idea how much they weigh? I need them to be less than 28 gr so I can build them to match the lumenocs.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
wapster

Post by wapster »

Has anyone else had partial dry fires with flats like Galamb?
Boo

Post by Boo »

J nocks (shallow throat) are 11.3 gr +/-
Q nocks (deep throat :mrgreen: ) are 12.3 gr +/-
Can't have a semi dryfire with these.
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

Boo wrote: Q nocks (deep throat :mrgreen: ) are 12.3 gr +/-

well that settles it...Q nocks, awesome :mrgreen: grain weight..... 8) :lol:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
Boo

Post by Boo »

wapster wrote:Has anyone else had partial dry fires with flats like Galamb?
I know it can happen with some early lighted nocks that had somewhat rounded rear edges.
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

What I can't figure not stiring up the pot is "Why does the Bowtech Offspring" in their instruction book on their web-site say not to use flat nock when they have an Excalibur stock main frame etc on their X bow- And no I don't have an offspring just a saying.