Supremely quiet bolt holder

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nyexhunter

Supremely quiet bolt holder

Post by nyexhunter »

Tried out a reverse limb compound crossbow at Field&Stream store and it was super quiet. Noticed that instead of a metal prong holding the bolt down, there was a soft tooth brush like bristle system. Maybe this is something Excalibur could consider going forward?
No, I'm not considering switching away from the old reliable Matrix that I have, however, from time to time it's fun to just try some other stuff out and see how the components work.
racking up points

Re: Supremely quiet bolt holder

Post by racking up points »

Pretty sure the brushes are patented by Horton/Ten Point. The bow you are referring is the Storm, right? If it is anything like the Horton Fury, (and I have read that it is not), then I'd say buyer beware. Compound crossbows are, for the most part quieter, but that's about all in terms of advantages IMO. The only wheeled crossbow that interests me is the Offspring, (and DMs reimagining of it, for those that know what I mean :wink: ). I shot an offspring at Boofest, very nice machine, but the offspring 2.0 will be even better. :mrgreen:
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Actually, it was a Barnett. I'm happy with my Matrix and have no desire for a compound of any type, but shot it just for fun. I did notice the brush type bolt holder and thought that was pretty neat.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Reverse limb bows have more going for them than just being quieter. Take the scorpyd 175 extreme. It shoots a arrow 440fps with a 175 pound bow and generates 173 ft. lbs of KE. NOW the bad part. They cost twice as much as the Excalibur. Their warranty is crap IMHO. They need to be checked for tuning constantly. They are awkward to carry around in the woods compared to the Excalibur. You need a good press to do anything with it and again if you do bye bye warranty.
I can not deny the efficiency of the bow and the resulting speed but in the end just not at all as reliable as a ecalibur bow. If you like to tinker and care less about warranty and the price you can handle. Scorpyd is worth a look.
If your a hunter then Excalibur IS a hunters bow. IMHO.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I'll take Excalibur over the other makers any day.
My bolt holder is just fine on my 355. Noise doesn't bother my deer only the bolt crashing thru them does! :mrgreen:
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Riflemanz wrote:I'll take Excalibur over the other makers any day.
My bolt holder is just fine on my 355. Noise doesn't bother my deer only the bolt crashing thru them does! :mrgreen:
355 matrix is my bow choice to. :D
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I will take old n reliable anyday.im sure you can somehow modify a excalibur to accept that style keeper
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
CrazyAce

Post by CrazyAce »

nyexhunter wrote:Actually, it was a Barnett. I'm happy with my Matrix and have no desire for a compound of any type, but shot it just for fun. I did notice the brush type bolt holder and thought that was pretty neat.
I understand what you're sayin. You just need to figure out a way to make one. If you have access to a CnC machine and can figure out a way to make the brush.. Would be interesting to see. Sometimes it's cool to see the bits n pieces others come up with and figure out how to incorporate them into what we have. Another alternative is to heatshrink the "tab" that excalibur uses to hold arra's. Like perhaps/maybe bend one up and put a "brush" of some sort and heat shrink it all together... :mrgreen:
-SnotRocket-
Matrix 405
DLX scope
TriggerTech 2.5#
DrStirrup rig
8ptbuk, vixenmaster, Boo Flemish String
Zombie Slayer, Executioner
Wabi Call
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Riflemanz wrote:I'll take Excalibur over the other makers any day.
You know it! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Delete!!!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I would buy an extra excalibur arrow keeper to mess with. Simply drill two one eight or so holes in end n drill n tap a selected tooth brush you can easily drill n tap nylon or plastic to accept a small machine screw. Mite take a few tries . You mite have to cut some of the tip off the keeper. Better yet order one from barnett im sure you can modify it for n excal. ......then theres gorilla tape ..... and wire ties....
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

I will leave any tinkering to those more engineering/mechanically inclined than I am. I'll leave the matrix I have alone, the only add on to it are the bumpers, beyond that, adjusting the string is the only thing I will do.